U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Just came across this and figured this would be an appropriate thread to share it in... Can't be THAT difficult right? :notworthy:

That's a great video, nice find dude! That said.....there is a reason the agency abandoned the endeavor. There were only a handful of guys qualified to do it and the risk was more than slightly elevated. Still.....I'd give it a try. :)

Fatigue and dehydration are the two biggest contributors to DCS.

Really??? Then I'll just be sure to tell the medical community that is spending a ton of time and money trying to figure out why U-2 pilots are getting DCS so much, that you have figured it all out.

In fact.... I guess I really didn't need to fly to San Antonio this week and spend 2+50 in an MRI chamber, while they looked at my brain (yes, I have one... and it is above my waist). I guess all I needed was a bottle of Gatorade and 3 more hours of sleep.

Silly me.

And yes... by the time any of you apply and interview, the jets will be modified and DCS will become a thing of the past.

To summarize:

- don't sweat the DCS thing if you are "worried" about applying.

- the U-2 will be around a while.

- if hired, you can plan on being the bar officer for a while... it doesn't matter if you're a major or lieutenant colonel... it's your job to clean the floor and make popcorn every day. And if you don't like that then please plan on staying wherever you currently are.

BTW... to those of you I met at Laughlin on Friday, it was good to meet you. The crud games were great too.

Kudos to the AFSOC guys that shut the bar down with me.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1

Agree, dialing in a little suit pressure can help with those "minor" issues I expect everyone had from time to time.....football knee for me.

Kevin Henry is a great pilot and had lots of experience in the plane. But as the saying goes, sh*t happens. The fact he survived in the end proves the old adage "it's better to be lucky than good."

A DCS hit like that to the CNS is rare but obviously can happen.

The modification is the answer.

Cheers,

Smokey

Saw the same article. I'm guessing there's weight penalty incurred for the MOD though it's obviously needed. Interesting to see how and if this plays into the manned vs unmanned argument.

Saw the same article. I'm guessing there's weight penalty incurred for the MOD though it's obviously needed. Interesting to see how and if this plays into the manned vs unmanned argument.

Surprisingly it weighs very little. And as far as manned vs unmanned....you need only look as far as the current AF budget proposal. We are gonna be around for a bit.

Wheelz

- if hired, you can plan on being the bar officer for a while... it doesn't matter if you're a major or lieutenant colonel... it's your job to clean the floor and make popcorn every day. And if you don't like that then please plan on staying wherever you currently are.

Fuckin' A! I'm in!

Edited by Rainman A-10

for those of you that flew the T-38C in pilot training, how do you like the T-38A? Is there anything you like better about it?

side note: shit. I will retile the floor and grow the corn for popping for a chance to fly the U-2.

Edited by Dingle

for those of you that flew the T-38C in pilot training, how do you like the T-38A? Is there anything you like better about it?

side note: shit. I will retile the floor and grow the corn for popping for a chance to fly the U-2.

Dude....the T-38A is a thing of beauty....and it flies better in many ways. Take it from a guy with a healthy amount of T-38C hours. That said....one UHF radio and a tacan receiver makes it challenging in busy airspace. But this shortcoming also contributes to very little heads down time and lots o looking outside and enjoying the jet. All good man.....we love it.

Wheelz

WheelzUp is wise beyond his years.

I have 2.3 hours in the T-38C. 1.2 in the front seat. 1.1 in the RCP.

Not impressed.

But... take that for what it's worth. I'm still "iffy" on my iPhone technology.

Too bad the AF didn't buy the South American F-5 upgrade to the T-38 that Northrop-Grumman offered around '93. In the long run, it would have been cheaper.

In any case, the T-38A is kind of like a two-engine, twin-turbine, JP8 slurpin', dual afterburning, supersonic bar hopping machine, modern day version of the venerable J-3 Cub.

I love it.

Edited by Huggyu2

In any case, the T-38A is kind of like a two-engine, twin-turbine, JP8 slurpin', dual afterburning, supersonic bar hopping machine, modern day version of the venerable J-3 Cub.

I love it.

Well said Huggy. Haven't flown the 38 but my dad taught 38's at PIT and still talks about how fun it was to fly. It must be truly amazing if the mighty J-3 comes up in the conversation!

Nothing confirmed yet, as it still needs to be approved by the Wing CC.

In the past, we've supported California Capital Airshow (Mather) with a static, Wings Over Wine Country with a Saturday flyover, and Reno with a Thurs/Fri flyover. I'm sure there's a good chance those will get requested again this year.

Nothing confirmed yet, as it still needs to be approved by the Wing CC.

In the past, we've supported California Capital Airshow (Mather) with a static, Wings Over Wine Country with a Saturday flyover, and Reno with a Thurs/Fri flyover. I'm sure there's a good chance those will get requested again this year.

no love for hawaii? saw you guys at oshkosh a few years back as well

Milwaukee: looked at the website. That looks like a great show. But don't expect a U-2 there.

Oshkosh: probably not this year. They wanted us last year, but it didn't materialize. Fingers crossed for 2013.

Huggy I want to know who the knucklehead in Korea was that everyone wanted gone?!! Hopefully he didn't stay in the community long enough to mess with you guys. And would also love to know who the dude was that fell in love with the artist from San Francisco, that was a classic story (though not a good one if it destroyed their marriage).

Milwaukee: looked at the website. That looks like a great show. But don't expect a U-2 there. Oshkosh: probably not this year. They wanted us last year, but it didn't materialize. Fingers crossed for 2013.

Fair enough. Yeah Milwaukee has a pretty cool show over Lake Michigan. Plus I live right by the airport so everyone takes off and lands right over my house! :rock:

I guess this will be my last year for the air show/Oshkosh for a while since I ought to be headed to OTS in fall some time. Which is good!

:beer:

Who ain't real? The student, right?

Yes and no. The student was actually a real guy, too, whom Ernie tailed through training. However, in the book his name was changed to "Hopper" to "protect the innocent". Virtually everyone else in the book was a real person and referenced their real name and position.

• 3 weeks later...

M'aidez.,... Mayday... May Day,... 1 May...

In a farmer's field near Sverdlovst...

A toast to to the guys that flew those missions with no GPS, TACAN, astro trackers, data links, etc...

And of course to Frank.

:jd:

• Upvote 1

Not as cool as the carrier landings, but another cool video:

http://youtu.be/hxFz6ImB8fI

Edited because I'm a retard and I can't figure out how to embed in this forum. I give up, click the link...

Did a quick scan and didn't see this video posted. If it is, my apologies. Thought some of the regulars might find it interesting.

http://luckypuppy.bravehost.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=1452

M'aidez.,... Mayday... May Day,... 1 May...

In a farmer's field near Sverdlovst...

A toast to to the guys that flew those missions with no GPS, TACAN, astro trackers, data links, etc...

And of course to Frank.

:jd:

Reading the book now. Crazy stuff. I think my mind exploded when he started talking about a sextant. Well, that and the whole being-captured-and-imprisoned-by-the-Soviets thing... but mostly the sextant.