Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

Yes, as in easy to add on. Which always made me wonder why airlines want you to have it prior to training. The only difference I know of between the type rating check and the ATP check is the v1 cut.

Who's saying the airlines want you to have it? Not a rhetorical question...

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Who's saying the airlines want you to have it? Not a rhetorical question...

Read the 21 pages on this thread and the other airline threads. Guys are arguing about what color suit to wear to WAI and if you get it wrong you don't get hired. Same if your medical is out of date on your Linkedin profile.

Whith all of that, I think it is safe to say you need your ATP.

Anyone know if Accessible Aviation's program is still running? I've been emailing/calling since Aug and haven't gotten a response.

I just completed the ATP Multi, ATP Single, and both the single-engine and multi-engine add-ons to the CFI with Accessible this week. PM me with any questions.

Fair answer.

The other 21 pages have a lot of guys who've never worked for the airlines telling other guys who've never worked for the airlines what they need. Then again, I've never worked for the airlines...that's why I asked.

That is kind of the point. No one really knows. I have seen resumes all over the map getting calls and guys with the same or better not. Seen guys with no ATP get hired some not. Heard some say 5k hours and not flying for 2 months is worse than 1.5k and current. Know a guy that got hired by Delta that hadn't flown in 2 years. I also know a guy that didn't.

Quick synopsis on Carl's program and his examiner? Haven't heard much about that operation in a while.

Actual training is the bare minimum (least amount of training for money spent) but Brad, the FAA Examiner, is outstanding in respect to professionalism and fairness.

Actual training is the bare minimum (least amount of training for money spent) but Brad, the FAA Examiner, is outstanding in respect to professionalism and fairness.

I'll second that. I definitely don't feel like I "got away with anything". The training covered the checkride & the checkride was fair & legit.

This may have been covered earlier in this thread but just a tip to mil guys applying to airlines: go through your logbooks and update up to your last flight and include instrument approaches, cross country, etc. As a mostly mil guy I didn't even consider this but to the F/O doing my interview it was a big deal that I "couldn't prove that I was instrument current" despite being a current and qualified tanker bubba.

This may have been covered earlier in this thread but just a tip to mil guys applying to airlines: go through your logbooks and update up to your last flight and include instrument approaches, cross country, etc. As a mostly mil guy I didn't even consider this but to the F/O doing my interview it was a big deal that I "couldn't prove that I was instrument current" despite being a current and qualified tanker bubba.

Did you give him the "not sure if serious," look? I can't even begin to imagine why this was even talked about in the interview? I guess you could always have ARMS pull up a training report and show all the instrument approaches you've logged.

Giving Skywarrior down at Pensacola a try this month for the ME ATP with SE add on. They do an ATP prep course starting at $1655 in Seminoles. They're also one of the few places left that are still VA/ GI Bill approved for the ATP course. They were down for awhile because their DE has heart problems but recently got a new guy. Seeing as their program caters to the military, I'd bet the new DE is a safe one.

http://www.skywarriorinc.com/

I think I probably did give him the not sure if serious look. That might explain why they declined to hire me.

Cragspider, you're always a total smart ass but yes I did explain that to him along with several other mil vs civ things. The two pilots in the interview had NO concept of military flying which is why I wanted to bring it up.

Definitely interested in any info you can give post-ATP, my plan is to go to Pensacola in Jan/Feb time frame. Are you doing the ATP prep course and then the practical immediately following that? What's the rough total price?

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh,

If this thing sticks (which I don't think it will), the entry-level airlines will likely go developing their own ATP-CTP courses. Additionally, ERAU and Sportys already are offering courses. All ATP can't be far behind.

Yep, for the mere cost of $75,000, you too can work your way through a training pipeline with a guaranteed job that pays $25,000 a year! I see lots of people signing up for that.

On a serious note, I think I've read that interest in pilot careers among college and high school kids is at an all time low. I have no idea why though.

As for the military vs civilian thing...play the game. Yes, there's a fair chance that those interviewing you will have no military flying experience. Be prepared to show them your experience. Have a logbook of some kind. Don't assume they understand what you're talking about. As for the "we have to do a takeoff, approach and landing each month to stay current", that's somewhat true. But just because that requirement exists doesn't mean you're current. Lots of things make people go non-current all the time.

Bottom line, don't scoff at the civilian interview pilots. After all, you're trying to become one of them.