Questions on ribbons/medals

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

My son, an Army Sniper SGT has been asked to present a 2 week training course on using the Army Sniper Rifle Platform to an Air Force Base sniper section. Would he be eligible for a Joint Service Medal for this?

• 2 months later...

My husband won the USAF marksmanship ribbon with both the small arms and M-16. He was authorized to wear the bronze service star on it. Where does the service star go? I have seen it on the far left low as an observer and also have seen it mounted directly in the middle. He passed away and I want to build his shadow box. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Oh man, this reminds of some ridiculous shit wrt medals.  I once got an MSM as a Capt because our (loaned to us from the staff) OG was passed over for O-6 the first time.  He found out through his "bro network" that part of the reason was because he didn't have an MSM, because apparently every O-5 should have X-medals (WTF?!).  So anywho...viola, a few months later, nearly the entire squadron gets an MSM, because "he doesn't want that happening to us in the future."  Funny enough the next WG/CC (loaned to us from active duty) shows up and freaks out because I'm now a Major with 2 MSMs and no AF commendation medal.  Guess who got to write his own AFCM...SO DIRTY!  Silly me, I thought medals were meant to be for people who stood out and did good shit, not just another checkbox for promotions.  The bull shit we worry about...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting my dress uniforms together, two questions. 

1) The AFI says mini or full size wings on the mess dress. Is it a faux pax to wear full size wings on the mess dress? The mini Air Force wings and mini Navy wings aren’t the same size so it just looks kinda odd. 

2) What’s the deal with the combat readiness medal? I was combat deployment qualified on my platform in the Navy in 2008 and as I was in a combat unit until I switched over to the AF in 2019, I never let that qual lapse. Does that time carry over?

26 minutes ago, Bigred said:

1) The AFI says mini or full size wings on the mess dress. Is it a faux pax to wear full size wings on the mess dress? The mini Air Force wings and mini Navy wings aren’t the same size so it just looks kinda odd. 

2) What’s the deal with the combat readiness medal? I was combat deployment qualified on my platform in the Navy in 2008 and as I was in a combat unit until I switched over to the AF in 2019, I never let that qual lapse. Does that time carry over?

People look like dorks wearing full-sized wings with mini medals in mess dress. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bigred said:

Combat Readiness Medal isn't automatic, request has to be submitted in vPC. Not sure about the Navy time as it's supposed to be an "AF-Designated Weapons System" listed on AFPD 10-9. I'm sure you could get it approved/waived somehow depending on how much effort you want to put into it. 

I think the CRM is basically a form signed by the commander and submitted up.  My old unit used to do a unit-wide submission as a certain point each year since we had to be deployment ready.

Unless someone changed the definition of the airspace it is only the airspace over the land mass of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

True

Remember that combat time can be logged for the entire sortie that originates/terminates or overflies the combat airspace.

So if you overfly Iraq on OTBH-ETAR, Combat time.

If you fly OTBH-ORBI-OTBH also all combat time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/30/2020 at 6:39 PM, lloyd christmas said:

Any truth to rumor that all missions in the AOR are now combat missions?  No more combat support.  Heard this from someone who just got back from the Deid.

Probably true as the Deid is now considered enough to the threat.  I'll retain my editorial on that one.

Also, bear in mind that any Turkey or Africa lines you've got in your logbook MAY qualify as combat support, depending on the destinations and flight routes.  The 37 AS front office awards and decs shop used to keep very good tabs on those details.  Look them up in the global.  I came out of my Ramstein time with an unexpected aerial achievement medal.  I know it was a big deal for the E's due to promotion points from medals, but I think those points went away recently.  YMMV

FF

• 2 weeks later...
Oxidized wings all the way. They look far better than the shiny wings in all uniform combinations
Sterling silver wings and letting them age naturally wins over the manufactured oxidized wings, though both beat the shiny wings

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Watched the USAFA-USNA game the other day and saw all the AF cadets wearing the AF Training Ribbon. Apparently they are awarded it at the end of basic cadet training now.  Back in my day we were awarded it at graduation/commissioning. When did this change? Do they now get an OLC at commissioning?

Watched the USAFA-USNA game the other day and saw all the AF cadets wearing the AF Training Ribbon. Apparently they are awarded it at the end of basic cadet training now.  Back in my day we were awarded it at graduation/commissioning. When did this change? Do they now get an OLC at commissioning?

Wgaf
  • Upvote 1