Info on BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing)

Stiffler

Thread revival.

I'm getting ready to attend a 2-3 month training school TDY enroute during a PCS from an overseas base. I know my OHA and COLA go away, but I've read that there's a generic BAH rate (BAH RC or non-locality BAH?) that I would get until I show up at my new base. Any true to this, anyone have any experience with this?

The easy answer is Yes. As others have posted, there are other options, but the bottom line is that what you were told is true.

Thread revival.

I'm getting ready to attend a 2-3 month training school TDY enroute during a PCS from an overseas base. I know my OHA and COLA go away, but I've read that there's a generic BAH rate (BAH RC or non-locality BAH?) that I would get until I show up at my new base. Any true to this, anyone have any experience with this?

There is such a BAH, it is called transit BAH using non-locality rates. Rates Here:

BAH II (Reserve Component/Transit)

BAH-II (RC/T) is the housing allowance for members in particular circumstances, for example, reservists on active duty less than 30 days. It also applies when a member is in transit from selected areas where no prior BAH rate existed. It does not vary by geographic location. BAH-II (RC/T) was set based on the old Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ), which was based on the national average for housing. BAH-II is published annually and is determined by increasing the previous year's table by the percentage growth of housing costs.

The easy answer is Yes. As others have posted, there are other options, but the bottom line is that what you were told is true.

There is such a BAH, it is called transit BAH using non-locality rates. Rates Here:

BAH II (Reserve Component/Transit)

BAH-II (RC/T) is the housing allowance for members in particular circumstances, for example, reservists on active duty less than 30 days. It also applies when a member is in transit from selected areas where no prior BAH rate existed. It does not vary by geographic location. BAH-II (RC/T) was set based on the old Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ), which was based on the national average for housing. BAH-II is published annually and is determined by increasing the previous year's table by the percentage growth of housing costs.

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the info. I've done mutiple TDY enroutes to overseas locations but not from so this is kinda a learning experience in progress right now.

• 9 years later...

Does anyone here have experience with the Secretarial Housing Waiver while at UPT as a guard pilot? My wedding was shortly after UPT began and she still lives in our previous city which is where my home unit it. Currently living in the dorms at UPT and curious how that waiver works. Can I continue living in dorms and receive BAH for her location? Thanks in advance!

When I went to Altus to learn the tanker I left my family at my previous duty station. I used myPers to submit a BAH waiver to get BAH at my previous duty station and it was all handled, and approved, through myPers. It was actually fairly easy. I was TDY so I still got the normal TDY entitlements. 

That said, you’re guard so it might be  different. 

• Upvote 1

I work as a causal at Columbus in the UOQ. You should still get your guard residence BAH and be able to live in a dorm. We just did that for two guard guys a couple weeks ago. 

Edited by edf8fde
Grammatical error

@edf8fde Thanks for the info! I'm at Laughlin and am signed up for a base waiver (pending approval) that allows me to occupy UOQ only if theres space available and receive BAH, but I would get booted if an unmarried member needed the UOQ housing and it was full (Space Available). Does Columbus do an in house waiver such as this or do you guys direct the guard guys to the Secretarial Housing Waiver on MyPers? Just want to make sure I'm going down the right road here...

@SNAP314 We have only don't secretarial waivers for active duty but that doesn't mean we can't for guard; just no experience with it. We don't have an in-house waiver. Most people want to live off base, so we just let them do that initially meaning we don't have to boot guard guys. Are your dorms at capacity?

Got it! Thanks so much! Yeah I don't think we are at capacity which is why I thought having to agree with being the first to get booted out of UOQ was a bit strange (fair is fair though). It was explained to me that they just like having it as an option to ease up space since they are giving us (married members... not guard necessarily) BAH while in UOQ. 

• 1 year later...

Is there an option if you geo-Bach to keep the BAH at your old spot where your family stays? E.G. I get orders to Laughlin but family stays in Denver, can we keep the Denver BAH?

7 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Is there an option if you geo-Bach to keep the BAH at your old spot where your family stays? E.G. I get orders to Laughlin but family stays in Denver, can we keep the Denver BAH?

Possible but requires waiver.  Default is you get BAH where your orders state.  Gotta show hardship (family school, etc)

Edited by uhhello
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Possible but requires waiver.  Default is you get BAH where your orders state.  Gotta show hardship (family school, etc)

Does “wife bitching” and “it’s Del Rio” count as hardship?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Does “wife bitching” and “it’s Del Rio” count as hardship?

medical and educational needs do. I've got a kiddo who is EFMP so it was pretty easy, however I just phrased my application for the secretarial waiver as "familial and community support is available at X location but not Y location." Since Del Rio is remotely located with very little medical and educational support, you might be able to swing that. You may need to delve into some specifics though.

Edited by yzl337

If I remember correctly, when I went to UPT at Columbus, my wife stayed home in Dallas. I filed a waiver for BAH for the higher cost of living area (Dallas) and it was passed without no issue. Of course this was over 10 years ago, so things may have been changed but that was the only hardship we had to prove. 

On 3/30/2024 at 11:13 PM, Danger41 said:

For the Reserves, at least, I was able to keep my BAH at home and live in the dorms at CBM for free.

Waiver via secretariat process as to why your family is staying in Denver (and if possible, try to sell it as a benefit to the AF). Probably should end it with something like:

”…and if you do not approve this waiver, please know I am of sound mind and do not have any suicidal thoughts, regardless of what my wife tells the police.”

• Haha 1