Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

How long has the program been $25,000/year? If the dollar amount had kept up with inflation, assuming the $25k/year started in 1997 (just a guess), the bonus would need to be over $36k/year to have kept up with inflation.

In other words, it's not really "big money" anyway. I also enjoy my job, but if the price of freedom-to-choose is a measly $25k/year then I'm happy to pay that cost by not signing the bonus.

The FY1998 NDAA authorized an increase from $12k to $25k per year for pilots agreeing to stay through 14 years of aviation service. The AF was initially paying $22k per year for long term contracts.

The FY2000 NDAA authorized changes to pay through the grade of O-6 and thru 25 years of aviation service. Additionally, it pushed the services to increase to $25k instead of only allowing it.

Of course the payments through 25 years only lasted a few years and now it is back to what you have seen for the last couple of years.

Source: http://www.fas.org/man/docs/fy01/usaf/afmilpers.pdf

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Herk Driver

How long has the program been $25,000/year? If the dollar amount had kept up with inflation, assuming the $25k/year started in 1997 (just a guess), the bonus would need to be over $36k/year to have kept up with inflation.

In other words, it's not really "big money" anyway. I also enjoy my job, but if the price of freedom-to-choose is a measly $25k/year then I'm happy to pay that cost by not signing the bonus.

Damn skippy. The Air Force gets a better deal every year. Good ol' inflation, the hidden tax that undercuts so much of our financial efforts. Funny how we all have been conditioned to accept it as a normal facet of modern economics.

Throw another zero or two on there - or five - and I'd consider it...

The FY2000 NDAA authorized changes to pay through the grade of O-6 and thru 25 years of aviation service. Additionally, it pushed the services to increase to $25k instead of only allowing it.

That's the problem: the $25K ACP limit was enacted now 15 years ago, and hasn't been updated since. At the same time, the DoD has been too busy trying to get other more important items into the NDAA that ACP gets lost every time.

I'm not sure if it's legal to peg ACP to CPI or some other inflationary measure.

It's not just the bonus- when was the last time flight pay increased? How much would $650 turn into to match inflation?

Doesn't really matter, there are plenty of folks who are going to stay anyway and are happy to trade control of their life away for $18k/year.

Doesn't really matter, there are plenty of folks who are going to stay anyway and are happy to trade control of their life away for $18k/year.

I think you need to read what you wrote: If people are 'going to stay in anyway' how are they trading control of their life away for the bonus? Aren't they trading control of their life already by choosing to continue to stay in, regardless of the bonus? A PCS comes with a 2 year commitment, transfer of Post 9-11 GI bill benefits to dependents (if done after initial commitments are met, which often happens to dudes waiting to have kids) has a 4 year commitment, a special school/crossflow comes with a commitment...

I know what you are trying to say, but it doesn't make sense for people wanting to go to 20 or beyond. I agree that it may not be worth it for someone who is on the fence about what do when their original ADSC has expired.

Butters, I'd be interested to know how that works out. I took the bonus last year and ended up paying additional taxes when I filed this year. My family's income is not 250K.

That is the price you pay for being a niners fan. I got it all back every year because I live in Seattle with a real football team.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the ARP website. Not only is the bonus the same as last year, but they also released TWO YEARS WORTH of the bonus. In other words, pilots with commitments that end in both FY14 & FY15 are eligible to sign up now for the same bonus.

Check out the ARP website. Not only is the bonus the same as last year, but they also released TWO YEARS WORTH of the bonus. In other words, pilots with commitments that end in both FY14 & FY15 are eligible to sign up now for the same bonus.

Sounds like Big Blue is getting desperate.

Wow...Christmas came a little early this year for me. I just PCS'd OCONUS to a great assignment and was pretty much locked in for the next three years anyway. I didn't see that coming.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how this is a trick. If I was probably going to sign next year anyway, is there any viable reason not to sign this year?

Wow...Christmas came a little early this year for me. I just PCS'd OCONUS to a great assignment and was pretty much locked in for the next three years anyway. I didn't see that coming.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how this is a trick. If I was probably going to sign next year anyway, is there any viable reason not to sign this year?

Just so I'm clear...you are getting ready to PCS OCONUS and presumably have 1 year left on your UPT ADSC. Your OCONUS assignment is a 3 year DEROS, so by time you take the hook you'll have 2 years left overseas...

The reason you would have for NOT signing this bonus to have control over the assignment that comes AFTER your OCONUS assignment. Say AFPC wants to send you to Maxwell to teach SOS or some other form of hell-torture, if you've taken the hook you cannot say no and off you go into the non-flying wilderness.

Personally I am afraid that I will be non-vol'd out of the cockpit somehow someday. Or sent on another non-vol 365 (or 179 of that matter) anywhere. I want the freedom to say no to whatever the Air Force tells me to do next. That freedom costs $25k/year for 5 years apparently (before taxes).

Edit to add: there's no way I would sign a year early. So much in life can change that I wouldn't give the Air Force that much control over my life. But hey, that's just me.

Edited by Homestar

Now I'm just trying to figure out how this is a trick.

I'm trying to guess their rationale. Starting with the most friendly option and ending with the most cynical:

1. Great job, team! Glad you're sticking around. Here's your money early. Keep up the great work.

2. Maybe if we give people more opportunities to accept (i.e. a longer window), more of them will.

3. If we can get people to commit earlier, that will help out with force management over the next few years.

4. If sequestration continues, it will be harder to come up with the money in FY '15, so let's move some of that bill to FY '14. That way we can still pay the remainder that accept in FY '15.

5. If sequestration continues, it will be impossible to come up with money in FY '15, so let's lock-in as many pilots as we can while we can.

6. We're going to need to raise the bonus to meet retention goals, but why pay everyone more? The "I was going to stick around anyways" crowd will bite off early on the current, lower rate. That way, when we raise the bonus next year, we know we're actually targeting the "if the bonus is good enough" crowd, thereby meeting our numbers while saving money.

My bet is a combination of #2, #3, and #4. Only #6 would really be a trick.

• Upvote 2

I am confused. I entered active duty in May 2004, Started pilot training in June. My grad date was July of 2005. I will not have 11 years of aviation service as a pilot by the end of FY 14 nor will I have the end of my commitment.

This language would seem to indicate that they want to offer the bonus again to those that didn't take????? I'm confused as all get out.

Then again I've been up since 3am Clovis time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am confused. I entered active duty in May 2004, Started pilot training in June. My grad date was July of 2005. I will not have 11 years of aviation service as a pilot by the end of FY 14 nor will I have the end of my commitment.

This language would seem to indicate that they want to offer the bonus again to those that didn't take????? I'm confused as all get out.

Then again I've been up since 3am Clovis time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your aviation service date is tied to when your flight pay started, I think. That should be coincident w/your UPT start date.

Porkchop, that is a feature. Congrats, you just voted in A1's retention survey. We are probably not that smart, but the big data tools exist for such metrics.

Edited for auto correct

Edited by ComingLeft

This needs to be kept up to dat as much as possible. I have no access to portal for the next month+, and I'd like to know if this is legit or not. Thanks for letting us know!

I just went to the ARP section of AMS to see what the application looks like and the following error message comes up: "ERROR - The ARP application allows eligible aviators to fill out a request for Aviator Retention Pay. It is only accessible to members who meet all ARP eligibility requirements. Our system indicates that you may not meet all the proper eligibility requirements to access an ARP application." I meet all the criteria under the "early eligibility" description so I'm assuming they haven't updated the system to take applications just yet.

With the 10 year commitment, it doesn't take much prior time to miss the eligibility window.