Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

RODN. I know only 2 people in the last 18 months who've gotten a follow-on tanker assignment. UAVs and UPT are running neck and neck for first place, MC-12s third and KC-135s a distant fourth. Anecdotally, my UPT peers who got 135s to other bases are all seeing the same thing. I suspect the pendulum will swing back in a couple of years when they realize they've emptied their tanker squadrons.

There were 10 first assignment dudes in my VML last year in my SQ. I was the only guy to get follow on tankers. There were 5 UAVs, 3 UPT and one rando AMLO or something. Ridiculous.

For the Guard/Reserve bubbas out there...I'm an AD Herk type with 4 yrs left on my commitment, and thinking about punching to the Guard/Reserve for family reasons when that time comes. I will have 12 yrs of AD when i punch, am I able to sign an ACP bonus once in the Guard/Reserve?

For the Guard/Reserve bubbas out there...I'm an AD Herk type with 4 yrs left on my commitment, and thinking about punching to the Guard/Reserve for family reasons when that time comes. I will have 12 yrs of AD when i punch, am I able to sign an ACP bonus once in the Guard/Reserve?

Nope. (unless you go AGR)

Edited by Butters

Yes, if you go AGR (have had 4 friends all do that in the Reserves)

Yes, if you go AGR (have had 4 friends all do that in the Reserves)

What he said. We have several dudes on the bonus, both 2 year (15k) and 4 year (25k).

Edit: clarity.

Edited by SocialD

Just want to third that since "Bad Gouge Butters" is on the prowl. Although nothing still posted for this year, the last five+ years in AFRC have had a 4 year at $25K a year or 2,3,4 subsequent (ie you have already taken the bonus) at $15K a year.

Just want to third that since "Bad Gouge Butters" is on the prowl. Although nothing still posted for this year, the last five+ years in AFRC have had a 4 year at $25K a year or 2,3,4 subsequent (ie you have already taken the bonus) at $15K a year.

Yes, only if you are AGR, and that is not what he asked. A TR cannot take the bonus.

Yes, only if you are AGR, and that is not what he asked. A TR cannot take the bonus.

I didn't see anything in his post about TR, just if he could get the bonus in the Guard/Reserve. I know quite a few dudes that have rolled right off AD into AGR spots.

I didn't see anything in his post about TR, just if he could get the bonus in the Guard/Reserve. I know quite a few dudes that have rolled right off AD into AGR spots.

Well, everyone needs to be more specific then. I know more than a few dudes that rolled right off AD into TR spots. Oh, and they are bumming because the airlines have not returned their calls.

Edited by Butters

Well, everyone needs to be more specific then.

If that's your argument, then the answer to his question should have been yes. Or you could just be less of an asshole.

Edit: I see you edited your post...

Oh, and they are bumming because the airlines have not returned their calls.

That sucks.

So are you saying AGR slots grow on trees and everyone can get one? In every airframe?

No. Are you saying that no one can get the bonus on any airframe? Or that no one is getting hired at any airline?

Edited by SocialD

If that's your argument, then the answer to his question should have been yes. Or you could just be less of an asshole.

I thought I was being just the right amount of asshole, but point taken. The guy asked if he can leave active duty, go Guard/Reserve and still get the bonus. Well, the majority of positions in airlift Guard/Reserve units are not AGR. So the answer is no.

Oh, and they are bumming because the airlines have not returned their calls.

I did that in lieu of Active Duty for the first 4 years of my tenure in AD Lite. It sucks getting paid 60% for the same time and effort, but it's a hell of a lot better QOL vice AD, much better schedule, much more control, and IMO better than sucking buffalo for a nickle a herd as a regional FO commuting to a rsv line making food stamp money. Now, just like doing the regionals long-term, you bum/trough for more than a couple years and yes, it's a bad plan if you have a family. For full disclosure, I put my family life on hold (starting one) until I was sitting in a full time position. I know some who did have families and troughed; I don't envy that shit.

The key to success in aviation is: have a really rich wife, or have a really CHEAP wife. But a meager-earning/non-earning wife with a sense of entitlement? (read: most of them) Um, no. Get rid of that one.

Edited by hindsight2020

Ok... I just heard from a " friend of a friend of a friend" the reason they have not offered the bonus is due to the low take rate based on a survey that was sent out ( I didn't get the survey... did any of you guys?)... Anyway the story goes bonus plans scraped and revamped for a 10 yr deal at $250k with half payable up front (which I guess creates other problems requiring some hoops to be jumped through for that large of an upfront sum adding to the delay)... Truth in lending, I have no clue if this is complete B.S. or if there is some truth to it but I figured I'd share the gouge.

I wasn't interested in the 5 year bonus, but 10 years sounds a lot more tempting. Where do I sign?

Seriously, how do these people come to such conclusions? (If, of course, this is accurate, but it sounds like something AFPC would do).

I think in a year or so they will realize that the only viable option for them is a stop loss of some measure.

I wasn't interested in the 5 year bonus, but 10 years sounds a lot more tempting. Where do I sign?

Seriously, how do these people come to such conclusions? (If, of course, this is accurate, but it sounds like something AFPC would do).

Well, 2 years ago the Air Force separated over 157 twice passed over Majors...which most likely did not help the Air Force much as they didn't do it again and offered continuation the following year to almost all the Majors passed twice passed over. I believe the Air Force realized the damage was done though.

If (and I agree, it's a big 'if') the Air Force is concerned about retention rates, it's not outside the realm of possibility that they offer a similar bonus package to what they did in the 90's, ie longer bonuses that go to 20 years. At that point, the Air Force can better predict what their pilot numbers will be because they have commitments from X amount of pilots.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the bonus is the exactly the same as last year...eventually we will see.

...based on a survey that was sent out ( I didn't get the survey... did any of you guys?)...

Interesting. I actually *did* take a survey about 6-9 months ago that directly asked if I would take the bonus based on different dollar amounts and lengths. There were other retention questions mixed in. I'm pretty sure I remember that the survey was *very* specific in its target audience. The funny thing is, I did what every respectable rated officer would do - I realized this was probably a survey to determine future bonus payments, and so I answered every question with answers that would lead to a better bonus. While I doubt the bonus changes at all, I thought I'd verify the true portion of jstarsshag's rumor.

Edited by 11F
  • Upvote 1

Interesting. I actually *did* take a survey about 6-9 months ago that directly asked if I would take the bonus based on different dollar amounts and lengths. There were other retention questions mixed in. I'm pretty sure I remember that the survey was *very* specific in its target audience. The funny thing is, I did what every respectable rated officer would do - I realized this was probably a survey to determine future bonus payments, and so I answered every question with answers that would lead to a better bonus. While I doubt the bonus changes at all, I thought I'd verify the true portion of jstarsshag's rumor.

Same here. I was very clear that only big money would keep me on AD

I don't get the math....

5 yr - 125K

10 yr - 250K

...it's still the same $ per year? $250K is enticing, but why a 10 yr? You'd be doing much better at offering a 7 yr bonus, knowing that folks would easily stay the extra 2.5 yrs or so.

Take the normal progressed officer. 6-9 months on casual, 1 yr of UPT, then that's when your clock starts. 10 yrs places him/her just outside the 20 yr retirement window.

I think this is bogus, but - being one in the initial eligibility window, hope the $250K is a viable option.

• Upvote 1