Running/workout/PT while at UPT

Guest joelovuola

Guest joelovuola

At AMS they were very anal about not allowing us to run anywhere but on the track. Tracks suck. I'm a running freak and love open roads. When the duty day is over are you allowed to run off base or is that a commanders decision? I'll be at Vance in August and those lonely Oaklahoma roads with wide shoulders look tempting. Thanks.

Also, as a follow-on question to that...Is there an organized PT program at UPT? Morning PT? Things like that? Or is it just pretty much "on your own...go to the gym" type stuff? Just wondering, hadn't heard a lot about that part of the program. Thanks!

At Columbus transition students (sounds better than casual) we are required to PT 3x a week for an hour. This means we meet at the gym at a specified time sign in and PT. Some people go run on base and some people stay in the gym. It's whatever you want to do.

I have been told (haven't confirmed) that once in pilot training due to schedules there isn't organized pt meetings per say but you are required to work out 3x a week for an hour. The flights have a PT officer and you submit your information via him/her.

I imagine running on base is no problem, because its done all the time. As far as running on roads, when I first got here I went running on roads and got scared due to the large amounts of people with dogs not tied up.

I prefer to run on base/on a treadmill and I'm sure things will be specific to your base.

Guest rumblefish_2

Dude, once your duty day is over you can run to your heart's desire wherever you want. It ain't basic training. And don't let anyone tell you that running is bad for your g-tolerance. That's a bunch of BS. I had a buddy who started training for a marathon toward the end of training and felt no ill effects. I wouldn't count on a whole lot of running at the beginning of UPT, though...

Hey, here at vance, when we were in academics we were required to go to the gym, as a class for like an hour. It was scheduled in. Once we hit the flightline, its the honor system.

Rumblefish was right, UPT is not basic training. You are an officer, you can run, jump or climb. Its your life. Now, are you gonna have tons of time? NOPE. But I keep up on my workign out to an extent, but not like i did before!

Somewhere around Vance I saw a flyer with a bunch of running trails marked out. I think the longest one was about 7 miles and made a big circle around the runways. There were some shorter ones that just went around the main part of the base too.

• 4 years later...

AFI 10-248 states in section 2.2.1 that "Physical training time must be included as an integral part of mission requirements." Being at UPT and currently on formal release, we're not really given the opportunity to get to the gym at all during the duty day. It is common understanding in my class that the unit is supposed to allot three 90-minute blocks for individual PT during the week.

Before going to the chain of command and embarassing ourselves, a couple questions. Is that "90 minutes, 3 times a week" thing even valid? 10-248 says that the American College of Sports Medicine recommends that as a minimum, but I couldn't find any verbiage saying our unit was obligated to give us that time. Am I missing something? If it is valid, are there special provisions for students in training?

Thanks.

1. Don't go bitch about not being allotted "PT Time." UPT takes a lot of time, and if you don't have time to go to the gym b/c you know you have to study for your checkride, too bad...suck it up and press.

2. Even on formal release you should still be able to go to the gym. Don't you guys have a sign-out board or something? Yes formal release means you can't go home, but they should still allow you to go to the gym, get some lunch from the club if you have to, etc...AS LONG AS it's not going to interfere with a sim, flight or academics. They don't have to give you a specific PT time slot, but they should allow you to go when able. If this hasn't been brought up at all, talk to an IP and just confirm if it's OK to go to the gym if you're not going to be flying/simming. But, don't try quote some reg that they're obligated to give you 3, 90-min blocks for PT. That's just going to be bring unwanted attention.

Guest thefranchise

Its one of those things you'll run into where it should be intergrated into your 12hr day and isnt. the more rank you get, the more ability you'll have to schedule your gym time every day. until then, make do with the time you have. The USN/USMC have better definition and regulation I believe on PT weekly requirements and scheduling.

Our class just went to the gym if we weren't flying that block. It was enough time to get to the gym, get a good 45min-1hr workout in, shower, and get back to prepare for formal release/newly scheduled event for the following block. Then again, for the most part, every person had a sim/flight/academics/RSU pretty much every go, or was the one person not doing anything and had to sit FIDO. But when there was a hole, we took advantage of it.

My .02

Guest Tip Tank

Ask yourself this question:

What's more important to me...several months without working out or becoming a pilot?

Use that time to study, work ahead, and do the best you can...you have the whole rest of your life to be a gym phag...

UPT is about time management. If they don't let you go to the gym so what? Take that time your sitting in the flight room and study. Then when you are released at 1600-1700 hit the gym for an hour or two. Don't let formal release be the reason you didn't hit the gym. It really helped me get through UPT. Whatever you do, don't quote some reg that says your entitled gym time. Squash the shoeclerk tendancy, formal release will be over soon enough. There are very few "entitlements" in UPT. Good luck :beer:

Be smart w/ how you deal w/ this. Definitely do not quote a reg and play lawyer w/ any of the IPs. However, if you have one or two approachable IPs, maybe inquire about being allowed to go to the gym. If they laugh at you or show any hint they are going to say no, then just forget about it. Nobody said you'd be in the best shape of your life at UPT. Also, don't get false hope, some classes never get off of formal release. Bottom line: Feel it out and ask around, but definitely don't try to call out any IPs. ...that whole unwanted attention thing is bad.

What's more important to me...several months without working out or becoming a pilot?

Use that time to study, work ahead, and do the best you can...you have the whole rest of your life to be a gym phag...

Yeah man and in ten years when you can't fit into your bag anymore, you will be a fatass, ill will gladly still be a gym ######.....

back on topic,

just ask your flight commander. Ours did not want us to go on FR until we all passed our inst check. Even then I found time to lift/run/swim/whatever 3-4 times a week. bring a gym bag to the flightroom and go straight to the gym after you get released. A 45min-1hr workout a day does not eat up too much study time. Take the periods you are not flying and study in the flightroom. That’s what I did.

Now if you get to corpus, different ballgame. Very easy to say....ehh...not flying for the rest of the week, so i dont have to go to work, so a case of the 'stone and the beach sounds about right! Memories.

Guest Tip Tank
Yeah man and in ten years when you can't fit into your bag anymore, you will be a fatass, ill will gladly still be a gym ######.....

You assume you and/or I will be alive in 10 years...car accidents and plane crashes could care less about how much ya bench, how far ya run, or the amount of time you spent in the pool...

Unless you fail your PFT and don't get winged because you haven't run or done a pushup for a year.

Guest bikerdood

I'm not a T-6 guy, but maybe you should check your syllabus. Here's what it says:

Physical Training

1. Purpose — Physical training (PT) is designed to help students cope with the rigors of the flight training

environment and improve their physical condition. Group (flight, class, etc) PT is highly encouraged to build esprit de

corps, but not required.

2. Requirements — Conduct the PT program IAW AFI 10-248, Fitness Program

3. Responsibilities — The flight commanders are responsible for the overall administration and tracking of the PT program. Brief students on the benefits of physical training as part of the new class orientation.

4. Physical Training Program — Students must complete three PT sessions each week at times compatible with training activities and crew rest. Conducting PT is not a violation of crew rest. However, participating in strenuous exercise immediately prior to physically demanding flight periods should be avoided.

5. Air Force Physical Fitness Testing — USAF students must take the Air Force Physical Fitness Test IAW AFI 10-248 during Preflight. A passing score of 75 or above is required in order to graduate. Enter students that fail to meet the fitness standard (75 or above) into a conditioning program IAW AFI 10-248 and retest them prior to the completion of Preflight. Multiple retestings are authorized. Remove students not meeting the fitness standard by the completion of Preflight from training and placed them in casual status. Do not reenter students into training until passing the Air Force Physical Fitness Test.

6. Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test (FACT) — Administer the FACT to all USAF students during the Preflight Phase or early in the Primary Phase. Students who pass the test are not required to test again during UFT. Students who do not pass should concentrate their PT sessions on activities geared to enable passing the FACT.

Dude, pretty much everything said above sums it up. On FR, just worry about studying and being the best damn pilot you can. Then when you get off of FR or go to the next track, you'll have much more time. In 38s and on FR, we still had plenty of time to lift, so don't worry about it. Plus, after graduation you'll have PLENTY of time. But if you must lift, then do it after work. It's much better to study during the duty day then have your off time to yourself. If nothing else, move off base and then ride your bike to work.

I get the distinct impression that, when someone asks about getting to the gym, people assume the person asking is a musclehead. Not necessarily so. And I had no intentions of playing lawyer with my IPs. Just curious what the requirements were. Thanks for the input.

Workout when you can. Do not ask your IP's/Flight CC why you haven't been given the mandatory gym time in AFI-6969 like all the shoeclerks on base.

Once the AF stops making UPT bases cram 30lbs of crap into a 15lb bag, maybe the timeline will allow PT. Until then, plan on weekends at the gym or after hours.....or SIE and go with the shoes anytime before 9 or after 4 or during your 1 hr lunchbreak each day to supplement your 3 days a week PT time.

What DI said, just press through the UPT program as offered to you. Do whatever you want after work. If running 7 miles a day helps you maintain focus, then it's probably a good thing to keep up, just do it whenever you can. The biggest trick to use whatever time you have as best you can. If you're stuck in the flight room all day, then use that time to study. That way you can afford to spend a couple hours working out after.