CSAR-X

craino21

were these taken before or after the tornados wreaked havok and the birds had to be sent back to Sikorsky to be repaired? Either way, looking great, and it appears that the TFU is at least a couple more inches from terra firma now...

Guest grindblaster

Kind of a random post, but reading further back in this thread, I'm reading about the survivability factors of CSAR helos being a big factor as far as receiving small arms and rocket fire.

Armor would make it too heavy, so why not use the fence-like apparatus that surrounds strykers? Sorry If I don't know the term, but It seems like it could be a reasonable solution to this problem. Placing this apparatus on the under-side and lower-sides of a chinook or blackhawk could maybe be the deciding factor if that chopper is staying in the air or not.

Just my random .02

Edited by grindblaster

That armor helps negate the AP and concussive properties of projectiles by having the detonation occur not right on the surface of the armor. Still, all the super fast and lethal shrapnel peppers the armor. For example, you slap the fence on a -60 even though say an RPG detonates farther away, all that shrapnel is still going to "hot knife through butter" the un-armored sides of the helo. Still going to wreck shop on engines, personnel etc. Doubt the cost benefit is there.

That armor helps negate the AP and concussive properties of projectiles by having the detonation occur not right on the surface of the armor. Still, all the super fast and lethal shrapnel peppers the armor. For example, you slap the fence on a -60 even though say an RPG detonates farther away, all that shrapnel is still going to "hot knife through butter" the un-armored sides of the helo. Still going to wreck shop on engines, personnel etc. Doubt the cost benefit is there.

As you are saying that I can't help but think the size of the balls or the lack of brains Marine UH-1N Crews have when they go into a hot LZ. The Huey has nothing but hillbilly armor around the pilots and the Crew Chief's are totally exposed except for their M-2's or M-240's in front of them. The sheet metal thickness around the whole acft rivals duct tape, no wonder we lost them by the hundreds or maybe thousands in SEA.

• 1 month later...

Nothing all that new here, just a few interesting notes.

http://www.theredsto...hawk-helicopter

http://www.defensene...822&c=FEA&s=CVS

I hate to ask where this 60 million figure comes from?!?! What's the Army paying for new 60M's?

The aircraft - baseline Sikor-sky UH-60M Black Hawks - are expected to cost about $40 million per copy after they receive modifications at the Blue Grass Army Depot in Richmond, Ky.

"The Air Force is currently reviewing details of the cost effectiveness and timeliness to the war fighter of the OLR program, to include an ADM [acquisition decision memorandum] to provide direction for proceeding forward. The actual timeframe for signing an ADM is in the near term. The Air Force is currently procuring UH-60M helicopters for modification to support this Ops Loss Replacement requirement," Cassidy said.

A draft of the acquisition strategy that is being circulated says the helicopters will not receive all of the rescue-specific equipment installed on the HH-60G Pave Hawk, the Air Force's operational combat search-and-rescue helicopter, but will receive a number of upgrades, including more powerful engines, new avionics, a hoist, a refueling probe and communications gear.

Adding the remaining rescue-specific equipment, which includes weather radar, a moving map display and communications equipment, would have cost the Air Force more than $60 million per aircraft, according to a military official.

This would help explain the pictures...

The Air Force has already purchased four UH-60M aircraft as part of the OLR program. The initial three aircraft will receive only three modifications - an internal auxiliary fuel tank, rescue hoist and forward looking infrared sensor - and will be based at a non-combat unit in the U.S.
Edited by NEflyer

One: these are just test birds.

Two: these aircraft will be going to do Nellis range support to free up the aircraft there to the CAF and do not necessarily need the AR boom or CSAR gizmos

break break

Looks like CVLSP is dead...again.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=a7b503992b4be8388d31db75b81b69e5&_cview=0

Release of the CVLSP draft RFP is temporarily delayed. The Air Force is currently undergoing programmatic and budgetary deliberations resulting from the Budget Control Act and establishment of the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction

it's a probe, people! Also, referencing the first three birds off the line:

The initial three aircraft will receive only three modifications - an internal auxiliary fuel tank, rescue hoist and forward looking infrared sensor - and will be based at a non-combat unit in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where to post this but Col John V Allison, a true American hero and world class CSAR helo pilot died yesterday morning. He was a personal hero of mine and he was the father of a close friend and well known Hogdriver.

Not sure how many current guys know about Son Tay but it was one hell of a mission.

Him Him...

Guest CAVEMAN

As you are saying that I can't help but think the size of the balls or the lack of brains Marine UH-1N Crews have when they go into a hot LZ. The Huey has nothing but hillbilly armor around the pilots and the Crew Chief's are totally exposed except for their M-2's or M-240's in front of them. The sheet metal thickness around the whole acft rivals duct tape, no wonder we lost them by the hundreds or maybe thousands in SEA.

Yeah but the Marine UH-1N's don't really do CASEVAC/MEDVAC. Most of what they do is light attack missions in conjunction with Cobras for small arms enemy contact and Command/Control stuff.

• 2 months later...

Two: these aircraft will be going to do Nellis range support to free up the aircraft there to the CAF and do not necessarily need the AR boom or CSAR gizmos

Did some searchning and didnt find anything. Are these -60s used for the Nevada test range contractor supported? Or Federal Employees?

Did some searchning and didnt find anything. Are these -60s used for the Nevada test range contractor supported? Or Federal Employees?

That's not a question answered here.

Thats a great video. I didnt realize that the HH-60Us at the Nevada Test Range would be doing Combat Search And Rescue Missions.

Nice

I just hope they get the block 2.5 birds out sooner rather than later so that we can start putting the G models out to pasture. I'd like to start flying again sometime this decade.