Sheppard AFB Questions

ghost_ttu

Guest Cerina505

Yes, you can live on base as a student at Sheppard. Many of the married guys do. You should call and ask about the waiting list, but you will probably have to wait until you have orders to actually get on the list. There are some nice apartments or houses in the area too. Why do you want to live on base? Just curious...

Reply: We want to live on base because we figure he'll be extremely busy and won't want to commute. I haven't really looked into other options.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EN_GRAD
Yes, you can live on base as a student at Sheppard. Many of the married guys do. You should call and ask about the waiting list, but you will probably have to wait until you have orders to actually get on the list. There are some nice apartments or houses in the area too. Why do you want to live on base? Just curious...

Reply: We want to live on base because we figure he'll be extremely busy and won't want to commute. I haven't really looked into other options.

Look on Google maps and find Missile Rd. It leaves the west side of Sheppard and meets I-44. The community on both the north and south side of Missile Rd is a great neighborhood with mostly military families. Also, it takes exactly the same time to get to the ENJJPT side of base as it does from base housing (4-6 min).

You can get much more for your money off base...I even pocket a few bucks.

You can get much more for your money off base...I even pocket a few bucks.

While I agree those communities are great, the new (on-base) housing isn't bad at all. We just moved in, and there are about 16 more units opening up in a couple of weeks and many more to follow. The house is about 2000 sq.ft. upstairs downstairs, 3/2.5 with a 2 car (large) garage. I know the BAH just went up about $180 but when I was looking for comparable houses I didn't find much that compared.

Now, the old on-base housing I would stay away from.

AMF said it best. The housing on base is fine. Realize it has almost no carpet (if at all), so rugs are a must. But if you are going there for ENJJPT, Missile Road housing is pretty good too. I wouldn't recommend living too far away, killing an extra hour or two (total time) per week where you can't really study while driving to/from work isn't really worth it.

While the O housing is no longer guarded, they can bring ti back in a pinch if extra security is needed. Nothing says "go away" like a guard with an M-16...

AMF said it best. The housing on base is fine. Realize it has almost no carpet (if at all), so rugs are a must. But if you are going there for ENJJPT, Missile Road housing is pretty good too. I wouldn't recommend living too far away, killing an extra hour or two (total time) per week where you can't really study while driving to/from work isn't really worth it.

While the O housing is no longer guarded, they can bring ti back in a pinch if extra security is needed. Nothing says "go away" like a guard with an M-16...

The new houses are on the main portion of the base (next to the golf course) and include officer housing. They are carpeted throughout, no need for rugs. The old housing is still available though, so be careful what you signup for.

• 9 months later...

We are PCSing to Sheppard soon and currently on waiting list for on base housing. I know it really depends but is there anyone that were forced to live off base because there aren't any housing available for you? We really want to be on base( and counting on it too) but when I called housing office they told us there might not be anything available. We were just wondering if we should start looking off base housing now just in case. If so, what part of town would be the best? Any advice would be appriciated.

We are PCSing to Sheppard soon and currently on waiting list for on base housing.

I know it really depends but is there anyone that were forced to live off base because there aren't

any housing available for you? We really want to be on base( and counting on it too) but when I called housing office

they told us there might not be anything available.

We were just wondering if we should start looking off base housing now just in case.

If so, what part of town would be the best? Any advice would be appriciated.

I will assume you're inbound as an ENJJPT student. On base is great for the commute, the community, and the VERY NICE houses. If you are forced to live off base, it all depends on your priorities.

If you value the short commute and want a fairly nice house, Expressway Village is a subdivision right outside the gate (Missile Rd) that's closest to ENJJPT. You can find a nice house in that neighborhood for around $1200 per month (lease).

If you want to live out in the country on a large piece of land with a 15 minute commute, Iowa Park and Burkburnett are nice places.

If you want a really nice house, there are a few nice neighborhoods. Look at Tanglewood (North of Seymore Hwy), around Midwestern University, and down by the new Walmart on SW Pkwy.

Places to avoid are City View, anywhere inside the triangle formed by 44, Kell, and Seymore, and the area just outside Sheppard's main gate south of housing.

• 4 months later...
Guest Justshootme

Anyone with semi-recent experience in the Falls care to indentify the parts of town to AVOID living in? I'm starting a house search and don't want to find myself in the slums.

Anyone with semi-recent experience in the Falls care to indentify the parts of town to AVOID living in? I'm starting a house search and don't want to find myself in the slums.

Base housing for O's is NICE! The area around Missile Rd (North of the off-base base housing area) is pretty nice and very convenient. Tanglewood, and the surrounding areas are nice. The area around the stadium (southwest Wichita Falls) is good. The neighborhood on the north and east of the university is nice, but relatively expensive. If you want to live in the country, there are some great places outside of Iowa Park and on the west side of Burkburnett.

Places to avoid: If you draw a triangle with 44, 82 (Kell), and Seymour Hwy, don't live within the triangle (except for the westernmost point). Anything east of 44 and south of Missile Rd all the way down to 287 would be very good to avoid, except the neighborhood right by Missile Rd. Avoid the neighborhoods around Holiday Rd and Old Jacksboro Hwy.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Anyone have any information on the new NCOA at Sheppard?

Since this board is geared towards flyers, I don't think you're going to find much info here on the NCOA. The Sheppard info is geared towards ENJJPT, which is in the 80th wing, while the NCOA is in the 82nd wing.

• 1 year later...

Any updates on the on base/off base conversation? My wife and I are headed there in a few months, I just assume we would stay on base for the convenience.

Reading through this thread, it sounds like base housing for O's was either renovated or some new housing was built. Is it all updated now or are some houses renovated and others aren't?

I plan on getting in touch with the base housing office after the holidays but figured I would check in here for advice from dudes out there currently.

Student or IP? I can't offer anything on specifics to base housing (I live off-base and don't know anybody who lives on base), but I would recommend on base if you're a student, and off base if you're an IP.

Spoke to base housing at Sheppard today, they referred me to this site to get all the paperwork and everything started:

http://www.housing.af.mil/sheppard/

Looks like base housing is contracted to another company, Balfour Beatty Communities, their website for Sheppard is:

http://sheppardfamilyhousing.com/defaultFamily.aspx?cid=15

Edited by Kenny Powers

I'm on base, they're not bad to work with....they take out the rent relatively quickly in the beginning of each month, and they fix mx problems within a few days.

..God help you if you let your backyard fenceline get out of limits during the few summer months when we have actual grass however...

• 1 year later...

Any way to live in housing on base w/ a roommate, instead of the dorms? I thought other UPT bases had unfurnished duplexes as an option if you knew a buddy that wanted to sign up with.

No, not that I'm aware of. Housing on base here is always pretty full, families stay on wait lists for months, so I'm pretty sure single dudes either live in the dorms or live off base.

ETA: if you're not entitled to BAH when you get here (dependents or prior e dudes are usually the only cases), then plan on staying in the dorms unless you want to pay out of pocket to live off base. If the dorms are full, they might let you live off base but most likely you'll be in the dorms through 75% of your time here.

Just what I've gathered from the dudes I know who were not entitled to BAH when they got here.

Edited by Kenny Powers