Tucson viper crash

Still no one approaching the burning wreck, not our guys or the other emergency responders. No chute was seen and no beeper. Last satellite hit reported a severe descent rate, about 45,000+ fpm. Iraq Block 52. .

Edited by MD

Doesn't look good. Out of curiosity, do they fly our jets, or does Iraq provide/maintain their own for training over here?

Both. Their Block 52+ that they own are being delivered to there. Reportedly, this was the first of those brand new jets.

Nothing but a burning hole in the ground, Douglas FD allowed it to burn itself out. Not much else there. Lucky it didn't hit a little further west of where it did, or it'd have been around the city.

"A spokesman for the Iraqi defense minister identified the pilot as Brig. Gen. Rafid Mohammed Hassan but said the pilot's fate still is not known..." (Source)

Correction, Brig.Gen. Rasid Mohammed Sadeeq...

Those are brand new jets just off the assembly line. I wonder the way things are going if they will ever leave for Iraq.

Anyone know if this guy was a Col just a couple years ago? Flew with a Col Hassan several times in the T-6. He was a former Mig-21 driver from the first Gulf War who was on his way to Vipers. I would hope he would be through the school house by now but I know how it goes with these guys.

That's the thing with this program though, they've been "in the schoolhouse" forever cuz they can't take their jets to Iraq until the nation has stabilized itself (from what I heard the training itself was taking longer than they though too). Sadly, I'd say there's a good chance that he was the same guy, granted Hassan is a pretty common name though.

That's the thing with this program though, they've been "in the schoolhouse" forever cuz they can't take their jets to Iraq until the nation has stabilized itself

They've been there 4 years and have only received their jets in the last 6 months. Article I read said two of them had just finished FLUG and were 18-24 months away from IPUG.