American Flag Shoulder Patch Out of Regs?!?!

Magruber

MAC guys flew with Wing patches on their left sleeve and U.S. Flags on the tails long before they started wearing Flags on their bags.

And none of them requested vectors direct UUEE without a flag on their left shoulder?

Had this as a maf guy going to ACC. My first day I was still wearing all my old patches from my last unit and the first thing the DO said to me was "I can tell you are from AMC with that faggy flag patch"

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Yes please go to extremes to make my point seem ridiculous.

Standardization is all well and good. But not allowing me to wear it is American blasphemy. You should look at your shoulder and see who you fight for. I don't serve for the 71 FTW but for the USA. That's my point. It's what ALL services have in common. It's what ALL Americans have in common. To say it's not authorized for my uniform is a tremendous oversight.

So the fact that you are wearing an American uniform isn't reminder enough?

The entire point of a uniform is standardization; everyone's dressed exactly the same.

If the point of uniforms is that everyone is dressed the same, then why does every service have a different uniform?

The USAF was founded on a bit of rebellion, and we're slowly but surely losing that mindset. We should want people that think differently, not the same...

A person at my previous base asked one of the Patches if he was proud to serve his country because he no longer wore the American Flag.

Sounds like bitchassness to me. Both envy and flight suits are green though...

Notch. Press.

Chuck

The fact you think an American flag patch promotes individuality is amazingly wrong. It's the opposite. And Ho Lee, why so aggressive?

In response to other comments. . .

Yes, the uniform is enough. My issue lies with people thinking the flag is not good enough to be on it. I got it, historically the flag hasn't been on the uniform. But, in my generation it has. So, I take pride in it. I shut up and colored and am wearing the wing patch. I thought people would see the bigger picture here. It transcends patches. But I'm sure many will think I'm making mountains out of molehills.

• Upvote 1

My issue lies with people thinking the flag is not good enough to be on it.

You're inferring a lot about COMACC and his installation commanders. I'm sure that's not why they prescribe the wing patch option.

It transcends patches. But I'm sure many will think I'm making mountains out of molehills.

It does not transcend patches, we're all in the U.S. Air Force. It's just you feeling obviously more American than the rest of us and whining that you don't get to do what you want. You've made this issue about yourself, not patriotism.

Let your airplane, that you're inside of when you're wearing that flight suit, do the talking.

• Upvote 2

You're inferring a lot about COMACC and his installation commanders. I'm sure that's not why they prescribe the wing patch option.

It does not transcend patches, we're all in the U.S. Air Force. It's just you feeling obviously more American than the rest of us and whining that you don't get to do what you want. You've made this issue about yourself, not patriotism.

Let your airplane, that you're inside of when you're wearing that flight suit, do the talking.

Exactly...who the cares...are we not all Americans....jesus

abn_armband.jpg

Not saying it was standard or common, but for those saying the WWII Army uniform was sans flag...

And cue butt hurt over which direction the flag is facing. Someone better contact these guys immediately to correct them! I bet they had some shitty SNCO's back in the day if they were able to get away with such a major uniform infraction.

I love my American flag patch. I have worn it for thousands of hours and hundreds of combat missions. Mobility wears it because of our world wide mission and the expectation to be ambassadors wherever we are. You know it looks pretty cool in pictures when a load master is handing out aid during some humanitarian disaster. Hardly "faggy."

It is a culture difference, but do you really feel so much dedication to your wing?

• Upvote 1

It's a culture thing, just 1 more thing for fighter guys to make fun of us about. I guess you don't need a flag on your uni when you never leave the moa/pattern. Also, please confirm that the postal service is influencing our uniform policy, that would clear a lot of things up for me in the last few years.

Also, please confirm that the postal service is influencing our uniform policy, that would clear a lot of things up for me in the last few years.

Urban legend. Plenty of mail moves in trucks down the interstate that are barely marked...definitely no flag on them.

I love my American flag patch.

It is a culture difference, but do you really feel so much dedication to your wing?

I'm glad you're attached to a patch, but we're all in the U.S. military... by definition we are all dedicated to the United States and the ideas behind the flag itself. Unit cohesion and identification is, in fact, and important concept, but it doesn't mean that we're not dedicated to the country. Our presence (with the American airplane, in the case of AMC with an American flag on it) speaks for itself. You should be proud of the years and thousands of miles you have flown to different places supporting our country, but it wasn't special just because of a flag patch.

I guess you don't need a flag on your uni when you never leave the moa/pattern.

Dude, everyone goes somewhere to be "ambassadors" for the country, even if it's just to Cope Tiger. Global Strike guys don't wear a patch around; they go plenty of places, and everyone knows it. Let your airplane do the talking.

I have never felt loyal to the wing. I view that as another level of bureaucracy like the NAF. Locally the CC can do whatever s/he wants. OCONUS wear the flag. Other countries have airplanes that are also in our inventory. Plus, I do not bring my jet to the brief. I do not understand your desire to wear a wing patch, are you not already wearing a MAJCOM and Squadron patch, just like you do not understand my desire to wear an American flag.

They are patches, not an org chart. I like the fact that I can wear a single patch for every single flight hour or combat mission.

OCONUS wear the flag. Other countries have airplanes that are also in our inventory. Plus, I do not bring my jet to the brief. I do not understand your desire to wear a wing patch

I've been in several multinational environments when I was outside of my airplane and there wasn't any question whether I was American. No flag patch required.

Is your crew confused in the brief who you are? It's not that I have an unnaturally strong desire to wear a wing patch, it's just that I don't have the irrational insecurity that I MUST wear an American flag all the time. Listen dudes, in the previous post I pointed out why guys from other communities poke fun at the idea of always needing to wear an American flag. We're all inherently dedicated to the American ideal represented by the flag, and don't constantly need an American flag to remind us. When you get offended and throw around childish things like "it's because fighter guys never go anywhere outside of their own base," it doesn't help your argument.