What has 'improved' in the AF?

C-21.Pilot

There is a topic discussing what's "Wrong with the AF?" Let's track the improvements...

I recall when Welsh was nominated back in 2012, there was loud applause of pending changes that we all thought were looming -- mainly due his interaction with the CAF when he was USAFE/CC, etc.

Welsh took command Aug 2012...and probably has a little over a year left until he's done.

What improvements, if any, have you seen....?

So if a bad (ie not popular) policy was implemented 5-10 years ago and is now rescinded, does that necessarily mean that things have gotten better? If your boss cuts your pay by 10% and a year later gives you that 10% back...is that a pay raise, per se? If that's the case, then the civilians should be very happy for their 'pay raise' in terms of just not being furloughed any longer.

I think we're grading on a pretty big curve these days. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly take getting rid of the stupid policies...but then that begs the question--why were they then implemented in the first place?

I legitimately trust that the current CSAF is looking out for us...

Unfortunately it doesn't look like he can make too many institutional changes (sad that the CSAF can't actually do that), but at least with him at the helm I don't feel like he is adding to the mayhem. We all bitch on here about the AF management holding leadership positions, but I think we have a legit Leader sitting in the office right now who genuinely wants the AF to get out of its own way and trusts his young Officers to actually lead. What sucks is that I think we have almost a universally minded group of clones from the O-6 to O-8 level that will nod and smile when he gives motivational speeches, but in reality they are just waiting him out until another manager takes over.

• Upvote 4

- Digital pubs.

- Personal webmail, facebook, and youtube at work, so we can keep up with our civilian peers in the low productivity at work category.

On the Reserve side, since I got in about 10 years ago:

- No more special cards limiting guard/reserve use of the commissary to once a month or whatever, and no more ID cards that even say reserve or guard on it, so we can get all the same military discounts. Ha.

- Tricare Reserve Select

- Reduced Retirement Program

The Air Force has the best CSAF in years, and we pissed it away by distracting him with sex scandals. I know that it was a statistically insignificant amount of folks who were involved in the worst of it, but the culture enabled it to happen. The more time he has spent testifying in Congress about this issue, the less clout and energy he has to advocate for and make changes that matter. This also derailed the successes of Gen Rice at AETC, who was fixing a lot at his command before he had to re-vector to address the MTI sex scandal.
Re-defining Blues Monday was great, as now it's up to lower level leadership to decide how best to deal with it rather than have his office take the heat from the troops. He has done a lot to address the importance of the USAF in times of shrinking budgets, but most of his public work has been in motivating and caring for his troops, which is a significant piece of his job despite how far up the food chain he resides.
  • Downvote 8

The Air Force has the best CSAF in years, and we pissed it away by distracting him with sex scandals. I know that it was a statistically insignificant amount of folks who were involved in the worst of it, but the culture enabled it to happen.

Name one sexual assault enabled by our culture.

• Upvote 1

The Air Force has the best CSAF in years, and we pissed it away by distracting him with sex scandals. I know that it was a statistically insignificant amount of folks who were involved in the worst of it, but the culture enabled it to happen. The more time he has spent testifying in Congress about this issue, the less clout and energy he has to advocate for and make changes that matter.

What the fuck ever. WE caused it? How about our current leaderships generation? They clearly did so much to stop this "culture" when they were mid level Captains/Majors. But sure, WE pissed it away...

Name one sexual assault enabled by our culture.

It's those damn fighter pilots and their rape songs! That and their mermaid handled mugs just drive them to rape and sexual assault.

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 3

That said, I remember the plethora of 250lb, 5'-9" E-7s that existed 10 years ago. They just aren't around anymore.

Were they good at their jobs and mission-focused? If so, then I don't give a shit.

Edited by Champ Kind
  • Upvote 6

Were they good at their jobs and mission-focused? If so, then I don't give a shit.
Like it or not, we are still a military. Yes, I care a lot of some dude looks ridiculous in a uniform even if he's great at his job. We might as well go full civilian culture if all we care about is job performance. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the military hides the fact that you are supposed to stay in shape whether active, reserve, guard, whatever. Being great at his job means he may get a couple of extra chances, but while he can do nothing about the 5'9", he can definitely take some steps towards fixing the weight issue. If not, his next steps should be towards the civilian side. ETA: Oh yeah, don't give me some BS story about it just being a body type. There is a body type for 5'9" and 250 lbs. It's called fat. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by slackline

There is a body type for 5'9" and 250 lbs. It's called fat. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Give me a fat airman who can handle anything I throw at him rather than a 150 pound marathon runner who is more interested in completing their degree and punching than working as a team member to complete the mission.

• Upvote 3

Give me a fat airman who can handle anything I throw at him rather than a 150 pound marathon runner who is more interested in completing their degree and punching than working as a team member to complete the mission.

Yep, we all know that only extremes exist. Don't need marathon runners, just people that look like they could actually be members of a military. I'll never understand why out of shape, fat military members get defended by anyone. You are in the military for goodness sake, act like it just a little and take care of your body. Don't have to be a crossfitter, just take care of yourself.

The best mission hackers I ever knew were well rounded. They did enough of everything to stay good, and focused extra energies on the mission. That isn't rocket science... Disgustingly fat, genius hackers only exist in the movies. If you're truly good at your job, you probably do a decent job at most everything else. Exceptions always exist of course...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, I care a lot of some dude looks ridiculous in a uniform even if he's great at his job. We might as well go full civilian culture if all we care about is job performance. Maybe I'm wrong,

I lost not a single sortie because mx or anyone else was fat. I lost plenty because people didn't know how to do their job. I also saw a few chunky E7s who knew wtf they were doing and saved the day. Ergo, to me, the PT program/test is a solution in search of a problem.

Besides which, it came about long before the current CSAF assumed the job

This also derailed the successes of Gen Rice at AETC, who was fixing a lot at his command before he had to re-vector to address the MTI sex scandal.

Knew very little about him, but my impression was that he was an utterly humorless micro manager. Was I off the mark?

Like it or not, we are still a military. Yes, I care a lot of some dude looks ridiculous in a uniform even if he's great at his job. We might as well go full civilian culture if all we care about is job performance. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the military hides the fact that you are supposed to stay in shape whether active, reserve, guard, whatever. Being great at his job means he may get a couple of extra chances, but while he can do nothing about the 5'9", he can definitely take some steps towards fixing the weight issue. If not, his next steps should be towards the civilian side. ETA: Oh yeah, don't give me some BS story about it just being a body type. There is a body type for 5'9" and 250 lbs. It's called fat. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You remind me of a Squadron Commander I had several years back. We ran his ass out of our unit so fast, he gained weight!

I lost not a single sortie because mx or anyone else was fat. I lost plenty because people didn't know how to do their job. I also saw a few chunky E7s who knew wtf they were doing and saved the day. Ergo, to me, the PT program/test is a solution in search of a problem. Besides which, it came about long before the current CSAF assumed the job Knew very little about him, but my impression was that he was an utterly humorless micro manager. Was I off the mark?
Sorry to keep encouraging this derail, but I can't comprehend you guys on this one. I don't know how to be clearer. We are a military force. Being good at your job is the number one priority, obviously, but they're are things that have to be done along with that. Not being obese ought to be a given. This is yet one more reason why every other branch of the military derides the AF. Not because we have fat people (the Navy has more), but because we can't be bothered to stay in shape or care about it. This wouldn't even be a discussion in the Army. I know, I know, we joined the AF to not deal with Army crap. I agree, but come on, just do the minimum to not be fat. That's not asking too much. Most of the time you can do that without even exercising. Just eat better... If our fatties could be trusted to stay in shape, we probably wouldn't even need a test, but I bet the PT test existed long before fatties in the military were tolerated.

You remind me of a Squadron Commander I had several years back. We ran his ass out of our unit so fast, he gained weight!
Sick burn man! My dislike of people who make excuses for people too lazy to simply not be fat reminds you of some D Bag sq/cc you once had. Good story. It's not like I'm asking anyone to run a 9:30 during the test, just look like someone who cares enough about his own health to not need a shoehorn to fit into a uniform... I know it's probably not the case, but these arguments sound like they come from overweight people who have "accepted" themselves. That's cool in the civilian world. ETA: thankfully I spell better than amcflyboy PTs. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by slackline
  • Upvote 4

Sorry to keep encouraging this derail, but I can't comprehend you guys on this one. I don't know how to be clearer. We are a military force. Being good at your job is the number one priority, obviously, but they're are things that have to be done along with that. Not being obese ought to be a given. This is yet one more reason why every other branch of the military derides the AF. Not because we have fat people (the Navy has more), but because we can't be bothered to stay in shape or care about it. This wouldn't even be a discussion in the Army. I know, I know, we joined the AF to not deal with Army crap. I agree, but come on, just do the minimum to not be fat. That's not asking too much. Most of the time you can do that without even exercising. Just eat better... If our fatties could be trusted to stay in shape, we probably wouldn't even need a test, but I bet the PT test existed long before fatties in the military were tolerated.

Sick burn man! My dislike of people who make excuses for people too lazy to simply not be fat reminds you of some D Bag sq/cc you once had. Good story. It's not like I'm asking anyone to run a 9:30 during the test, just look like someone who cares enough about his own health to not need a shoehorn to fit into a uniform... I know it's probably not the case, but these arguments sound like they come from overweight people who have "accepted" themselves. That's cool in the civilian world. ETA: thankfully I spell better than amcflyboy PTs. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now who's going to extremes?

As I stated earlier in the thread I have a 32 inch waist and sit at 172 on a 6'0" frame... so I'm hardly what you would consider "overweight".

I've just seen the effects of those that are pushing the waist measurement, the stress it causes them. They, and their leadership, ends up focusing on meeting some arbitrary standard rather than focusing on mission accomplishments and those results.

Yes we're a military organization. But we're not grunts. We're not infantry. Most of us sit at a desk punching away at the computer as opposed to our other military brethren that are kicking in doors and sweeping villages. One job requires great physical shape, the other doesn't.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now who's going to extremes?

As I stated earlier in the thread I have a 32 inch waist and sit at 172 on a 6'0" frame... so I'm hardly what you would consider "overweight".

I've just seen the effects of those that are pushing the waist measurement, the stress it causes them. They, and their leadership, ends up focusing on meeting some arbitrary standard rather than focusing on mission accomplishments and those results.

Yes we're a military organization. But we're not grunts. We're not infantry. Most of us sit at a desk punching away at the computer as opposed to our other military brethren that are kicking in doors and sweeping villages. One job requires great physical shape, the other doesn't.

A very huge majority of the Army and Navy are and will be sitting at computers their whole careers. Very small percentage do the actual grunt work.

One more time. I'm not pushing for a 32" waist. Just don't look like a bum in the uniform. Be able to run to the BX and back without getting winded. Simple things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD