Stop Loss Cometh

chappy_44

Precursor to Stop Loss…any other 11F's get an email today that they're being recalled from their whitejet gig (after a year on station) for an F-16 TX course in Nov??? Evidently there's a surplus of cockpits and lack of volunteers. Who would have guessed?

C44

Not surprised. What does surprise me is that you even left in the first place. Luke has been running science experiments for a year on how to push max numbers through the TX to include significant waivers, etc. At least you have remained flying and haven't been gone for long, wouldn't be surprised if you get a qual check and depart but that is just me thinking out loud and probably not what will happen.

This last cycle, dudes were non-voled to Kunsan out of cycle. That's right...you aren't on the VML and BOOYAH...here's your remote.

I personally know a few of those dudes who dropped their papers and took the 7 day option instead.

We're well beyond empty desks and starting to cross into empty cockpit territory. Weird that no one saw it coming...

Dude, this shit sneaks up on you... like a freight train... that's on fire... at night.

Yeah, but it is at night and people might be sleeping and not see it coming!

I never saw it coming...my Excel spreadsheet says manning is where it needs to be. Besides, we'll just throw money at the problem to fix it...no worries! Nothing to see here folks!

Edit to add: Seriously though, I really don't see stop loss coming. But then again, I'm just a pilot and while I hear all these rumors about bubbas dropping papers, I don't know what is REALLY happening at AFPC. If only an expert from A1 would join the discussion....

Edited by BitteEinBit

In some ways the cockpit shortage makes retention even more difficult because the opportunity to get a break doesn't exist anymore. How many guys would really, truly fight for back to back ops assignments when you factor in every variable involved, i.e. constant flail to make CMR, steady TDYs/Deployments, 13 hour days every day plus a few hours on the weekend, etc. Everybody loves flying but you know that is such a small portion of the equation. I know a dude who has yet to leave the jet starting his 4th ops assignment in a row with only one of them being the ROK and even that was a 3-yr stop at Osan, no idea how he and his family are still sane.

Precursor to Stop Loss…any other 11F's get an email today that they're being recalled from their whitejet gig (after a year on station) for an F-16 TX course in Nov??? Evidently there's a surplus of cockpits and lack of volunteers. Who would have guessed?

C44

I'm sure your white jet CC is overjoyed by this, if I were you I would run like the wind from white jet land. If you want to leave, just keep working through AFPC, don't leave it in the hands of people that would rather have you stay, cause they do. I'd be curious to see that email.

Just the tip of the iceberg...if airline hiring is half of what is predicted there will be a lot of empty cockpits, that is until stoploss drops.

They question is how long will Congress let USAF stoploss you, especially when the war is over.

I'm sure your white jet CC is overjoyed by this, if I were you I would run like the wind from white jet land. If you want to leave, just keep working through AFPC, don't leave it in the hands of people that would rather have you stay, cause they do. I'd be curious to see that email.

PM'd

Did the e-mail tell you where you are going too after the TX? Or do you find that out later? Are they asking you if you want to, or is it a done deal?

I wish I could say I'm surprised.....but I'm not.

They question is how long will Congress let USAF stoploss you, especially when the war is over.

Stop loss pay = $500/month/pilot?

ACP = ~ $2,000/month/pilot

That's a win to Congress.

I'll take 8 months, Jan/Feb until the end of the fiscal year...

Did the e-mail tell you where you are going too after the TX? Or do you find that out later? Are they asking you if you want to, or is it a done deal?

I wish I could say I'm surprised.....but I'm not.

No. I'm assuming that the follow on would be stated on the RIP, for those who get it. They have 9 eligibles at my base for five slots. The CC's have flexibility on who they send and had a sit down with everyone on the list to find out who's interested. They got a few volunteers right off the bat so some dudes may get non-vol'd if they can't fill the remainder. Hopefully it won't come to that. Talking with AFPC concerning how it will affect my palace chase paperwork, it looks like cubicle A isn't aware of what cubicle B is doing so I'm not sweating any negative effects. BL, if it happens then I 7 day opt and palace front 4 months later instead.

• Upvote 1

Precursor to Stop Loss…any other 11F's get an email today that they're being recalled from their whitejet gig (after a year on station) for an F-16 TX course in Nov??? Evidently there's a surplus of cockpits and lack of volunteers. Who would have guessed? C44

How many are then 7-day opting the TX spot? That'd be telling...

Just the tip of the iceberg...if airline hiring is half of what is predicted there will be a lot of empty cockpits, that is until stoploss drops.

That's a little scary coming from you.

So is this 11F specific or do you (CH) foresee this happening 11X-wide? I've tossed stoploss out to my fellow 11M guys over the last year and most have laughed it off.

Not going to happen. No need.

But I bet that it's gotten some airplay at the HQ level.

I don't think that it will happen because of the repercussions that will result.

-As far as Congress goes, this will go over like an F-bomb in a Baptist service. Congress has already offered to "lend us a hand" in determining future force structure. A stop loss with no national contingency as an alibi will mean that the beast has gotten completely away from us. So unless the Chonger is willing to throw down in the next year...

-90's RIF's? 157 Majors? Yeah, imagine the hundreds of pilots who just KNOW in their heart of hearts that the promised land of the airlines is awaiting them and that the mean 'ol Air Force is costing them their valuable line number postition every day of the stop loss. The resulting litigation will be epic.

-I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen because the way I see it, this could be another no-confidence scenario that sends the current CSAF the way of T-Mike. Yeah, that's how we ended up with Schwartz. No thanks.