Pilot Life and raising a family

ArtofWar

You are a SNAP, and unfortunately there are a lot of you running around. I have spent a lot of time crushing SNAP attitudes the past several years, and you are no different. You have wandered into a place where you have access to a lot of people who have been there, done that. STFU and listen. Stop trying to defend yourself. You are talking back to people who take dumps that are tougher than you. You have no credibility in this world, so don't go offensive (even though you see it as defensive) on anyone; shut up and listen.

Guest CannonCrashPad

Don't listen to them, Art. I'm on your side. Sure they might tell you what you should do, but if you do it, they won't respect you in the morning. Show these guys your Den Mother defensive skills. You're like a big bear man, a big bear with big claws, defending the cub you don't have yet, that popped out of the mama bear you don't yet know. You're so money and you don't even know it.

• Upvote 5

Don't listen to them, Art. I'm on your side. Sure they might tell you what you should do, but if you do it, they won't respect you in the morning. Show these guys your Den Mother defensive skills. You're like a big bear man, a big bear with big claws, defending the cub you don't have yet, that popped out of the mama bear you don't yet know. You're so money and you don't even know it.

Well there goes the theory that you are PYB. And how dare you ZB assume we know anything about the AF! And fuck Wesley Snipes!

I have not slandered ANYONE who has given me advice...

This is it right here man. The fact of the matter is you're talking to dudes who could be considered cynical douchebags, but they're pilots. And the fact of the matter is a lot of the dudes here have given our country a lot of time and sacrifice doing what they do. You are young and unproven in the pilot world. You have no experience and therefore no credibility. The simple fact that you would attack dudes for how they handled your question with the disparity between where you sit and what they've done is what folks are going to be mad about.

Take your licks and be grateful you got some good gouge from dudes. Don't disrespect other dudes who are hacking the mish, you haven't earned the right to quibble. If you want to join the community, this is a good opportunity to learn the first lesson of a fng: never pass up the opportunity to shut the ###### up.

Guest CannonCrashPad

Well there goes the theory that you are PYB. And how dare you ZB assume we know anything about the AF! And ###### Wesley Snipes!

This PYB thing has me utterly confused. He don't like Swingers??

Kid - The guys on this board are very knowledgable about the Air Force and flying. And many are also knowledgable about the anonymity the internet offers which allows them to be dicks from the safety of their own computers.

Keep in mind that this board is a d-ck measuring contest that happens to have a lot of very valuable info and humor about the Air Force. Once you weed through all the guys jumping at the chance to impress their internet friends by bullying a young kid just looking for some info you'll find some good advice here.

Good luck.

zb

I'm guessing you're new here, so let me bring you into reality. There is no anonymity here. I know a LOT of dudes who post here in real life, either personally of by reputation. If you are a pilot in today's Air Force, there is no such thing as anonymity, the community is too small. Everyone knows everyone, or knows someone who does. EVERYWHERE you go, the first question you are asked is "Hey do you know _____?" and chances are you do. I have no "internet persona" here, trust me. I am just a blunt, sarcastic, cynical and direct in person as I am here because I make the assumption that EVERYTHING I post here will be read by people I know personally and will be reacted to accordingly.

I have not slandered ANYONE who has given me advice...I don't know why some of you are thinking that. I defended myself when a couple people called me out for being a ###### and such without even giving me any advice or trying to understand where I am coming from; I have been nothing but respectful to everyone else. Thanks for your advice.

Let me reiterate so this doesn't happen again. The only people I think/have said are douchebags are the people who come in here with nothing to say but slander. When that happened I chose to defend myself. But now I will simply ignore it. I have given my full respect to anyone who has offered any slither of advice.

More quibbling. You never received the piece of sage advice of "never pass on an opportunity to SHUT THE FUCK UP and listen", so let me clue you in. Nobody here "slandered" you. Many of us highlighted the flaws in your idealistic world view, and directed your attention to the fact that answer you clearly were seeking in the first place (so why ask the question?) was not a viable answer. We did it in a manner typical of our community and culture. Pilots are direct, sarcastic, and generally cynical. We can come off as rude to the uninitiated. Guess what-- you're on our forum, so don't get butthurt when you're expected to play by our rules. And rule one in our world is when someone who has seen/done more this week than you have in your entire life you probably should shut the fuck up, listen, and if you think they are saying something that is disagreeable to your pweshious wittle ears you should double down on shutting the fuck up and maybe learn something.

But by all means, continue to attempt to "slander" us back. I guarantee most of us are enjoying this immensely anyway, and maybe you just might learn something yet.

• Upvote 2

This was entertaining.

Seems to happen every few months on here, but I don't recall someone so brash before.

Come on art, give it the old junior college try. You really don't know who you are speaking to here... Even if some know each other quite well. Flying is a small community don't ya know?

I'm guessing you're new here, so let me bring you into reality. There is no anonymity here. I know a LOT of dudes who post here in real life, either personally of by reputation. If you are a pilot in today's Air Force, there is no such thing as anonymity, the community is too small. Everyone knows everyone, or knows someone who does. EVERYWHERE you go, the first question you are asked is "Hey do you know _____?" and chances are you do. I have no "internet persona" here, trust me. I am just a blunt, sarcastic, cynical and direct in person as I am here because I make the assumption that EVERYTHING I post here will be read by people I know personally and will be reacted to accordingly.

Brand new. Just joined the board in 2006. Thanks for the heads up on everything about the board and the Air Force. Maybe you could mentor me from here out?

If a guy showed up to pilot training talking like this kid - he deserves everything. But a kid who for christ's sake hasn't even joined ROTC yet?!?! Come on dude. A little ribbing is fine but some of these members were straight up dicks. Sure they're not anonymous within the Air Force, but they are to this guy. And then the kid gets some e-balls to stand up to the e-dicks and everyone got all butt hurt about it and ganged up on him. I highly doubt if this guy goes ROTC and gets his pilot slot or goes CE that he will show up to the Operational Air Force with this attitude.

zb

• Upvote 1

Brand new. Just joined the board in 2006. Thanks for the heads up on everything about the board and the Air Force. Maybe you could mentor me from here out?

If a guy showed up to pilot training talking like this kid - he deserves everything. But a kid who for christ's sake hasn't even joined ROTC yet?!?! Come on dude. A little ribbing is fine but some of these members were straight up dicks. Sure they're not anonymous within the Air Force, but they are to this guy. And then the kid gets some e-balls to stand up to the e-dicks and everyone got all butt hurt about it and ganged up on him. I highly doubt if this guy goes ROTC and gets his pilot slot or goes CE that he will show up to the Operational Air Force with this attitude.

zb

So the solution is to coddle the young ones and portray a false impression on what attitudes and life is like working with pilots everyday? I'd rather you just tell me how it is and let me make the decision based off the responses. Just like on the line, there's going to be laid back dudes and dickheads alike. "Standing up for yourself" in the flying community until you have that key word - "experience" is a huge party foul. Sure some guys are very cynical on this board but for every cynical post, (like it or not) there's at least two dudes on the line saying the same thing.

Love me some BODN dick measuring.

What's next, fellas? Comparing post count or number of "likes"?

Really?

Guest LumberjackAxe

Aren't these the three rules of life from the other thread? Never too early to start learning these, Mr. ArtOfWar.

1. Life isn't fair.

2. Timing is everything.

3. Never pass on an opportunity to shut the f*** up.

Guest CannonCrashPad

This. Write that shit down and put it in your pocket.

Then change clothes, and throw those pants with that scrap in your pocket, into a fire and burn it.

Only ###### submissives don't stand up for themselves. Enter the fray. Just realize you may get knocked around a bit.

Then change clothes, and throw those pants with that scrap in your pocket, into a fire and burn it.

Only ###### submissives don't stand up for themselves. Enter the fray. Just realize you may get knocked around a bit.

It's hard for one to stand up for themself when they dont have a leg to stand on. Always better to STFU and take your licks, while learning from your mistakes. Humility pairs well with inexperience. There are exceptions to the rule like safety of flight and assholes overstepping socially acceptable boundaries - but 99% it's better to know your role and stay in your lane.

Guest CannonCrashPad

It's hard for one to stand up for themself when they dont have a leg to stand on. Always better to STFU and take your licks, while learning from your mistakes. Humility pairs well with inexperience. There are exceptions to the rule like safety of flight and assholes overstepping socially acceptable boundaries - but 99% it's better to know your role and stay in your lane.

I disagree.

In the martial profession, I prefer an ignorant guy who has balls, to an ignorant guy who has no balls but stays quiet. Why? Because the first guy I may be able to convince of his errors and possibly, even as an older guy, learn something from. Either way, in our profession, timidity should never be rewarded or taught.

ETA: I agree with you that it is key to take your licks and learn from them. But you will never get those licks by taking the opportunity to STFU. You have to enter the fray before you get those bruises that may teach you a lesson.

Otherwise, we are teaching the young guys to never enter the fray, to never risk themselves, to just shut up and do what they're told by those with more experience (and there will always be somebody higher ranking with more experience), and we just create generations of yes men pussies.

Not that we've ever seen that happen in real life. But no reason for us here to reinforce that completely ass-backward lesson.

Edited by CannonCrashPad