E6B "Whiz Wheel"

StickShaker

We (UH-1N) don't have an IFR certified GPS so we "have" to use a fix-to-fix to proceed direct to a point in a non-radar environment (which there are many in MT).

If you don't have RNAV equipment, you can't legally proceed direct to a fix in a non-radar environment...see 11-217v1 5.8.1

I just finished a tour as a UPT instructor and I can tell you that students are NOT being issued E6Bs. It hasn't been a factor and you won't use it during UPT -- that includes your time in T-6s, T-1s, and T-38s. During the instructor-taught navigation classes, the instruction makes references to how some of the stuff is done on the E6Bs, but that's the extent of the references. T-6 navigation sorties don't really focus on how to use that stuff and T-1s really push PFPS. I would not go out and spend the money unless A) you want one because you want to fit in with the navs or B) you have money to burn.

Prepare to smash your cranium against the wall, repeatedly. At least once you figure it out it's not too bad.

Once upon a time, there was this contraption called AFMSS... For all the ass-pain of JMPS, its better and easier to take on the road. I remember the 4-man team of pall-bearers it would take to move an AFMSS for a deployment/exercise. Throwing the mission planning system into a bag is nice. Now if those damn printers were smaller....

That would be nice, but on the other hand it's awesome lugging those giant things around, complete with one cartridge of black toner that runs out 1/3 of the way through the TDY.

Here's every 4-ship I've ever been in against every mission planning printer I've ever met:

office-space-o.gif

(And before nsplayer says "hurrdurr...there are only three people there," remember that #4 gets to hold the camera.)

• Upvote 5

Is JMPS at least more user friendly?

There is a special place in the bowels of hell for the designer of JMPS! But other than that...ya dude, it's great!

Here's every 4-ship I've ever been in against every mission planning printer I've ever met:

office-space-o.gif

(And before nsplayer says "hurrdurr...there are only three people there," remember that #4 gets to hold the camera.)

I JUST WANT A FUCKING BULLSEYE MAP!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...