Aerobatic Flying & UPT Applicants

dfgyu76

when a guy such as myself sacrifices his fun job, university lifestyle and girl friend to pursue a job that might get my foot in the door down the road then I think that fact of the matter becomes clear haha.

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Have you spoken with Scoobs yet? I would start there. Send him a PM.

What does this really mean? I see guys refrence "scoobs" all the time like it's a running joke on this board..

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

I see your point Sir, but that's the way it goes sometimes I guess

I see your point Sir, but that's the way it goes sometimes I guess

I submit the way its going is not where you want to go. I can appreciate your desire to do what you can to secure your dream, but you are in fact, doing it wrong and subsequently will probably not achieve your dream. Relax and stop sacrificing some good things in life because you think it will get you ahead, foot in the door, etc (it won't). I think it was Buddy Spike who said 69% of getting yourself that dream job is just being a good dude (and that also means being yourself, not pretending to be someone you think they want), showing a bit of aptitude and knowing when to STFU. All of that does not even remotely require you to burn through your bank account (buying a glider for example), give up on "the fun job," dump the girlfriend, etc.

You seem like the guy who will role into an interview trying to be someone you think the dudes want to see, talking about aerobatic glider flying and how you gave up all this great shit because flying means more than your own mother. If you just shitcan that approach, be 100% yourself and most of all, be humble, you'll have a FAR better chance of getting hired. You're not going to impress anyone with the approach you seem to be taking. You will impress people by being a genuine, good dude who's actions and words speak to that.

Lastly, flying anything can help you in UPT, albeit usually only slightly. Fly because you want to have fun, learn something new, etc. Don't get wrapped around the axle about instrument vs. aerobatics vs. tailwheel rating, etc. None are going to give you a magical advantage over the others when it comes to prepping for UPT. If you really want to drop 15K on a glider, go for it, but DO NOT do it because of some idea it will help you get a guard job or help you get DG at UPT - do it because you really have a passion for it (side note: probably want to figure out if you actually have a passion before buying your own aircraft...technique only).

That's my candid, no bullshit response to what I've read here. Take it as you may, but realize while there are some sarcastic responses on here, there are several legitimate responses from experienced flyers. I suggest you take that into account before continuing down the "LOL, fuck it, this is the way it goes" road.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 3

I submit the way its going is not where you want to go. I can appreciate your desire to do what you can to secure your dream, but you are in fact, doing it wrong and subsequently will probably not achieve your dream. Relax and stop sacrificing some good things in life because you think it will get you ahead, foot in the door, etc (it won't). I think it was Buddy Spike who said 69% of getting yourself that dream job is just being a good dude (and that also means being yourself, not pretending to be someone you think they want), showing a bit of aptitude and knowing when to STFU. All of that does not even remotely require you to burn through your bank account (buying a glider for example), give up on "the fun job," dump the girlfriend, etc.

You seem like the guy who will role into an interview trying to be someone you think the dudes want to see, talking about aerobatic glider flying and how you gave up all this great shit because flying means more than your own mother. If you just shitcan that approach, be 100% yourself and most of all, be humble, you'll have a FAR better chance of getting hired. You're not going to impress anyone with the approach you seem to be taking. You will impress people by being a genuine, good dude who's actions and words speak to that.

Lastly, flying anything can help you in UPT, albeit usually only slightly. Fly because you want to have fun, learn something new, etc. Don't get wrapped around the axle about instrument vs. aerobatics vs. tailwheel rating, etc. None are going to give you a magical advantage over the others when it comes to prepping for UPT. If you really want to drop 15K on a glider, go for it, but DO NOT do it because of some idea it will help you get a guard job or help you get DG at UPT - do it because you really have a passion for it (side note: probably want to figure out if you actually have a passion before buying your own aircraft...technique only).

L

That's my candid, no bullshit response to what I've read here. Take it as you may, but realize while there are some sarcastic responses on here, there are several legitimate responses from experienced flyers. I suggest you take that into account before continuing down the "LOL, fuck it, this is the way it goes" road.

^this

feel free to substitute "passion" for "obsessions" but when a guy such as myself sacrifices his fun job, university lifestyle and girl friend to pursue a job that might get my foot in the door down the road then I think that fact of the matter becomes clear haha. Damn, now that I think about it, i'm in deep!

You will certainly impress all of us here if you post nudes of the girlfriend. Start there.

• Upvote 4

Just don't expect it to make you do well in UPT, or have the attitude that glider (or any flying) experience makes you any better than anyone else..

Agreed.

FWIW we had a USAFA glider guru (1000 hours or some such) and he finished dead last in my UPT class. Five years later, he was happy to go from his E-8 assignment to UAVs. Great guy, but couldn't think fast enough for powered flight apparently.

Also, I know now it seems like flying is going to be this magical thing that you'd be willing to sacrifice anything to achieve. However, one day you will realize that it is just a job, and the things in life that actually matter won't be there with your current vector.

Just be yourself and sell that. It's much easier/effective to do that than try to be some character you saw in Top Gun.

• Upvote 2

However, one day you will realize that it is just a job, ...

This still hasn't happened for me. It's part of the reason I left the airlines, and returned to active duty.

My loss, I guess.

Edited by Huggyu2

That's because you are an iron ass Reagan baby Cold War relic weirdo who believes in some strange concept that flying for country is somehow different than flying for food.

That's because you are an iron ass Reagan baby Cold War relic weirdo...

Don't forget his iron knee...or it might be titanium, or stainless steel, or something really cool that I don't even know about.

Edited by Spoo

Don't forget his iron knee...

Hip.

or it might be titanium, or stainless steel, or something really cool that I don't even know about.

Cobalt-chromium.

Edited by Huggyu2

Here's something to consider, and I'm going to be really blunt and tell you something I would rather say privately, face-to-face (sts), not because I'm an asshole (actually I probably am), but because you need to understand this. When you said you dumped your girlfriend to get your foot in the door, that seemed kinda shitty because you essentially screwed over someone who you should've cared about. It's good to be ruthless in combat, but not against the people who are supposed to matter to you and it's indicative that you might screw over bros to get ahead in the future. I'm sure there's more to the story and lord knows we don't want to hear it, but thats what I gathered from the way you explained it.

Also, it does seem like you're trying to do/be whatever impresses the board the most. This won't work because they'll think they just met your 'representative', not you, and they won't have a clue who 'you' really are. This is a big deal if they're going to have to hang around you for another 20 years. It also reeks of insecurity because it means you don't think your true personality is good enough. And maybe your true personality isn't a good enough match right now, I'm not going to sugar-coat it. There are literally hundreds of people applying for this job, and they're going to find someone who truly is what they're looking for instead of someone whose putting on a show or trying to be what they think the unit wants, and every unit is looking for a different personality. But that's why it's so important that whatever you do, you do it for your own enjoyment and not for anybody else. If you love flying, great! Do that. But if you think you might regret the money or time invested in flying an aerobatic glider if you don't get hired by the Guard, then you might be doing it for the wrong reasons.

I don't know you at all, but I do think that the above guidance can help you and whoever else reads this in the long run.

• Upvote 1

Hip.

Hip, knee...whatever. I just know you no longer amble around like a saddlesore cowboy.

Cobalt-chromium.

Awesome. Isn't that the shit Wolverine's claws are made of?

You will certainly impress all of us here if you post nudes of the girlfriend. Start there.

Careful what you wish for...

That's because you are an iron ass Reagan baby Cold War relic weirdo who believes in some strange concept that flying for country is somehow different than flying for food.

But you CAN do both, and the food is delicious.