Aerobatic Flying & UPT Applicants

dfgyu76

I hope my sarcasm meter is inop.

The 2012 IAC sportsman, intermediate and advanced u.s. national champs where all USAFA guys.

dfgyu76 - flight time will help you initially I think, but just study (chair fly) when you're going through.

Also please no more glider video posts on baseops.

Is this really happening?

Despite the thick sarcasm that I've barely managed to get through I think i've learned a valuable lesson here (despite you-all's best effort). It's that glider time is in fact not respected or even considered real aviating by anyone in the USAF. I suppose this answers my question in a backwards kind of way. But, I'm still going to try it out if I get the chance since that dago on youtube made it look cool and at half the price of a powered aircraft!

Thanks baseops!

The 2012 IAC sportsman, intermediate and advanced u.s. national champs where all USAFA guys.

Despite the thick sarcasm that I've barely managed to get through I think i've learned a valuable lesson here (despite you-all's best effort). It's that glider time is in fact not respected or even considered real aviating by anyone in the USAF. I suppose this answers my question in a backwards kind of way. But, I'm still going to try it out if I get the chance since that dago on youtube made it look cool and at half the price of a powered aircraft!

Thanks baseops!

You might have missed what people are getting at. Time spent behind the controls of an aircraft is great and can only help; you can also have a lot of fun in gliders. Just don't expect it to make you do well in UPT, or have the attitude that glider (or any flying) experience makes you any better than anyone else. Huggy mentioned that they are still using gliders at TPS, which is a pretty respected program in the Air Force. Don't be upset that everyone thinks the Italian kid in the glider is gay.

You might have missed what people are getting at. Time spent behind the controls of an aircraft is great and can only help; you can also have a lot of fun in gliders. Just don't expect it to make you do well in UPT, or have the attitude that glider (or any flying) experience makes you any better than anyone else. Huggy mentioned that they are still using gliders at TPS, which is a pretty respected program in the Air Force. Don't be upset that everyone thinks the Italian kid in the glider is gay.

I agree with every aspect of your response, including the gay italian kid. I mean that jewelry, wtf? you can find him on facebook too.

And I know that civilian flying doesn't hold a torch to military flying, especially fighters but I just want to be "the real deal" I want to cover every aspect of my life from prior service to competitive flying experience so when I walk into that interview my experience speaks for itself and it's a done deal.. I don't just want to squeak by with the minimums I want a career as a pilot..

I want to cover every aspect of my life from prior service to competitive flying experience so when I walk into that interview my experience speaks for itself and it's a done deal..

No such thing as a done deal when it comes to interviewing in a flying squadron. Personality, attitude, and bromanship are 69%. We can teach you the flying part.

Despite the thick sarcasm that I've barely managed to get through I think i've learned a valuable lesson here (despite you-all's best effort). It's that glider time is in fact not respected or even considered real aviating by anyone in the USAF. I suppose this answers my question in a backwards kind of way.

Nope, wrong lesson. The most valuable instruction contained in this thread is actually the appropriate application of tactical sarcasm.

I agree with every aspect of your response, including the gay italian kid. I mean that jewelry, wtf? you can find him on facebook too.

And I know that civilian flying doesn't hold a torch to military flying, especially fighters but I just want to be "the real deal" I want to cover every aspect of my life from prior service to competitive flying experience so when I walk into that interview my experience speaks for itself and it's a done deal.. I don't just want to squeak by with the minimums I want a career as a pilot..

Ok dude, just my opinion here but flying a glider some would be good. Just getting in the air will be good for you. However, realize that hard work is what is going to make you do well in the end. In UPT I saw dudes walk through the door with over a thousand hours flight time and they kicked butt (this was because they were good dudes and worked hard though), but I also saw one dude with over a thousand hours self eliminate because he didn't like military flying. "It scared him." I also saw people who couldn't spell airplane before IFS get DG out of UPT. It is about attitude, hard work, and aptitude. Get a slot, and then go into it with a thick skin, humble attitude and a willingness to work harder at it than anything you've worked for before and you'll be fine one way or the other. Also, again just my opinion, but the best flight time that you could get before UPT is instrument time because instrument flying from civilian to military does cross over well and you'll be more prepared for those flights and potentially ahead of your peers in that area once you hit the instrument phase. Probably wouldn't be a game changer though. Good luck with everything.

Edited by Spartacus

...the best flight time that you could get before UPT is instrument time because instrument flying from civilian to military does cross over well and you'll be more prepared for those flights and potentially ahead of your peers in that area once you hit the instrument phase.

Spend as much of your cash as possible on instrument time. And I mean actual time in the weather. Try to focus your hours on days when the weather is the absolute worst possible where only the crustiest old instructors are willing to fly.

Nothing says "I showed up ready to rock UPT" like someone who loves to fly in shitty weather.

Also, never pass up an opportunity to talk with the IPs about how much instrument time you have and how good you are at flying instruments once you get to UPT.

You can lag the class in every other phase but if you rock the instrument phase you can write your own ticket, especially if you are looking for a fighter.

Good luck!

Holy shit, this thread is starting to make be believe the comments said. And I was a UPT IP for 3.5 years.

Actual steps to excelling at UPT:

1) Study what the IPs tell you to

2) Listen to what the IPs tell you

3) Ask your fellow studs what the IPs told them

4) Do what the IPs tell you to do

5) Complain about the IPs only to other students

6) Tell funny stories on Friday and bring beer offerings

• Upvote 1

Spend as much of your cash as possible on instrument time. And I mean actual time in the weather. Try to focus your hours on days when the weather is the absolute worst possible where only the crustiest old instructors are willing to fly.

Nothing says "I showed up ready to rock UPT" like someone who loves to fly in shitty weather.

Also, never pass up an opportunity to talk with the IPs about how much instrument time you have and how good you are at flying instruments once you get to UPT.

You can lag the class in every other phase but if you rock the instrument phase you can write your own ticket, especially if you are looking for a fighter.

Good luck!

Wow. So you see it differently? Having been a UPT IP we could always tell when a kid had previous instrument time. We couldn't always tell that in the other phases. I had more than one dude tell me later on that the instrument phase was much easier for him because he already understood the instrument concepts while it was clear that other kids in the class were struggling somewhat to grasp all of it. Just my 2 cents. Make fun of it more if you want. I was trying to give genuine advice to someone who clearly wants set himself up for success.

Thanks for all the responses. I always over looked the "instrument rating" when budgeting for flying but now I see the error of my ways. I believe that If I was given a shot at UPT I would give it 100% full throttle the whole way through and succeed. It blows my mind when I'm reading "advice from graduates" and a reoccurring suggestion is "try not to fall asleep in class! hurrdurr!" Now, I'm sure it's very mentally and physically demanding but I mean comon..

Secondly, I want to clarify that I wanted to accumulate all this bad ass aerobatic experience and know how to basically impress a prospective ANG/AFRC selection board. I'm sure I could be taught to fly from scratch by the USAF but I wanted this aero stuff under my belt to demonstrate my ability to keep calm under pressure, have situational awareness, and more or less relate to the fighter pilots on the board (in a subtle way).. Also, it gives me something to do with all this signing bonus money.. did I mention i'm an E-3 wrench turner??.. get in line ladies..

Thanks for all the responses. I always over looked the "instrument rating" when budgeting for flying but now I see the error of my ways. I believe that If I was given a shot at UPT I would give it 100% full throttle the whole way through and succeed. It blows my mind when I'm reading "advice from graduates" and a reoccurring suggestion is "try not to fall asleep in class! hurrdurr!" Now, I'm sure it's very mentally and physically demanding but I mean comon..

Secondly, I want to clarify that I wanted to accumulate all this bad ass aerobatic experience and know how to basically impress a prospective ANG/AFRC selection board. I'm sure I could be taught to fly from scratch by the USAF but I wanted this aero stuff under my belt to demonstrate my ability to keep calm under pressure, have situational awareness, and more or less relate to the fighter pilots on the board (in a subtle way).. Also, it gives me something to do with all this signing bonus money.. did I mention i'm an E-3 wrench turner??.. get in line ladies..

Take the opinions and advice here as you wish and with a grain of salt but don't make the mistake of thinking that you will be able to impress, show ability, or relate with the fighter pilots. As a pointy nose type myself I can say that you have a high likelihood of pissing people off by trying to show them those things. I know you just want to do good and fit in but the best thing that you can do is kick butt at everything that you do and then show that you are a bro with a good attitude. The last thing you should be trying to do is impress a group of fighter pilots. I think that will be borderline impossible.

• Upvote 2

Hurrdurr? What kind of SNAP shit is this?

The only way to impress the board is to do a shit hot job as an E-3 wrench turner, have a good attitude, and shut the fuck up. Say any of the above nonsense, and I guarantee your resume will find its way to the nearest trash can/shredder.

• Upvote 1

The board will be looking at who you are as a person. Your ability to make good decisions in life, take on and handle responsibility, and be a reliable dude is what will impress them. Your "badass skills" will not. Extra curricular activities show that you have the capability to fit in with other social groups, as well as manage your time beyond your primary job (usually school for new peeps). Slow down and stop planning on manipulating your selection board. Do what you do because you thoroughly enjoy it, not because you think it will impress some fighter pilot down the road. They will read between the lines and easily decipher if you're the man they want.

BTW, I don't know why you keep going on about fighter pilots. Tac airlift is where it's at.

The board will be looking at who you are as a person. Your ability to make good decisions in life, take on and handle responsibility, and be a reliable dude is what will impress them. Your "badass skills" will not. Extra curricular activities show that you have the capability to fit in with other social groups, as well as manage your time beyond your primary job (usually school for new peeps). Slow down and stop planning on manipulating your selection board. Do what you do because you thoroughly enjoy it, not because you think it will impress some fighter pilot down the road. They will read between the lines and easily decipher if you're the man they want.

BTW, I don't know why you keep going on about fighter pilots. Tac airlift is where it's at.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I suppose this whole dream of mine has become a bit of an obsession rather than a simple career goal. But maybe that's what it takes, only time will tell..

feel free to substitute "passion" for "obsessions" but when a guy such as myself sacrifices his fun job, university lifestyle and girl friend to pursue a job that might get my foot in the door down the road then I think that fact of the matter becomes clear haha. Damn, now that I think about it, i'm in deep!