Skydiver Fearless Felix jumps from 18 miles up

Tank

Yawn........ If they finally do it, I hope the video is better than the ones from their test jumps.

As I peruse the website, I laughed when I noticed they say he will "attempt to break the sound barrier" in free fall. It's not like he's got much influence on that. What's he going to do, kick his legs really hard just to be sure? I'd be more impressed if he could avoid going super, actually.

They're claiming that this is helping to develop the next generation of space suits. I'm a little fuzzy on why you need to parachute from 120 grand to do that. Just another guy with too much time on his hands. If his chute doesn't open, maybe he'll land somewhere close to where Steve Fossett crashed.

Edited by JeremiahWeed

As I peruse the website, I laughed when I noticed they say he will "attempt to break the sound barrier" in free fall. It's not like he's got much influence on that. What's he going to do, kick his legs really hard just to be sure? I'd be more impressed if he could avoid going super, actually.

Sigh. I really wish that the people who don't care about this so much to go out of their way to comment on it would at least base their disdain on some informed/legitimate inferences.

Damn dude.

Yeah, I know - pretty heartless. I've got zero sympathy for these thrill seeking idiots who produce nothing other than some self promotion. Joseph Kittinger was a true pioneer 52+ years ago. Since his jumps astronauts have been to the moon, space walked multiple times and pretty much done anything else you might need to do in a full pressure suit. It's all been done and the state of the art equipment Felix is using has been proven over a half-century.

This guy deserves about as much recognition as the airline pilots who flew the same route as Lindbergh yesterday from NY to France.

Sigh. I really wish that the people who don't care about this so much to go out of their way to comment on it would at least base their disdain on some informed/legitimate inferences.

Just having a little fun, lighten up. I'm just using the information Felix and his bunch posted on his website. By all means, enlighten us with your "inferences".

Edited by JeremiahWeed
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I know - pretty heartless. I've got zero sympathy for these thrill seeking idiots who produce nothing other than some self promotion. Joseph Kittinger was a true pioneer 52+ years ago. Since his jumps astronauts have been to the moon, space walked multiple times and pretty much done anything else you might need to do in a full pressure suit. It's all been done and the state of the art equipment Felix is using has been proven over a half-century.

You might want to do some research before you write it off as just another thrill seeking idiot.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/technology/pressure-suit-and-helmet/

But I'm sure you said the same thing about Chuck Yeager, back in those days as well.

This kind of stuff is good for America. Innovation, pushing the limits, breaking records, et al, it's what we've gone away from in the last twenty years due to the pussification of America.

But I'm sure you said the same thing about Chuck Yeager, back in those days as well.

I didn't have much to say about Chuck back then, since my father was only 6 when Chuck hit Mach 1. I'm pretty sure even I would have been able to recognize the amazing feats he accomplished.

This kind of stuff is good for America. Innovation, pushing the limits, breaking records, et al, it's what we've gone away from in the last twenty years due to the pussification of America.

Great - and we all know nothing "unpussifies" America like an Austrian base jumper risking it all while being sponsored by an Austrian energy drink company.

All joking aside, I'll take a look at the link you posted. Maybe I'll change my mind.

• Upvote 1