C.S. wildfire: USAFA given pre-evacuation warning

Techsan

KKTV has live streaming. Looks devastating, to put it lightly.

http://www.kktv.com/video/live

Traffic in the area is bumper to bumper. Ash and embers are falling all across the area south of the Academy. I'm hoping I still have a house when this is over.

Been a long time since my last post-unfortunate that something like this happens to bring me out of the WTF and Picture threads.

I am far east of I25 near research and powers so i'm only dealing with smoke. HOWEVER, there are a lot of personnel that I'm aware of that have homes off of Woodman west of I25 who's homes are in serious danger as of now. When I left work (Fairchild) around 4:30 the smoke was intense and by the time I got home there was ash falling way out where I am.

As of 6:30 local they made the evac mandatory. They are sending all the Pine/Douglas Valley folks to Ft Carson. I'm waiting to hear back from an AOC buddy on the plan for the cadets. Basic starts in just a few days so this will be an unfortunate memorable start for this new class.

They have done the standard recall but the phone lines are so jammed up I can only get text message in/out.

The MAFFS guys out of Pete and Cheyenne have been out in force today. I think 4 3 planes total on the line. I'm sure the threat to USAFA caused a bit of red tape to be cut. (I can't believe it took that long to get them fully operational-red tape BS).

I'm sure work will be called off tomorrow.

I'll keep an update on occasion. Everybody cross their fingers....

Edited by FreudianSlip

Pine Valley only at this point. There's a fair bit of other housing that hasn't gotten pre-evac warning yet.

I'm also at Research/Powers, can see the ridgeline burning and what sure looks like structural fires.

Sad day for a lot of folks.

Edit: Spoke too soon, two minutes later they just evac'ed doug valley residents as well.

Edited by sputnik

I have family and friends up in the Flying-W ranch area. They punched out a few days back, looks like that area is on fire now. My email has been inundated with pictures from everyone back home, crazy shit.

My father in law is a retired EPSO deputy and works security for D-20 school district. They just asked him to work security (he's usually off all summer) at Discovery Canyon High as the cadets are being relocated there. Its a huge campus with several large gyms. Will try to confirm.

Are you E or W of 25?

W of I25 in the Rockrimmon area. The maps show everything west of Centennial, but I've heard numerous reports of ash and embers falling as far away as East Colorado Springs/Powers. This is going to be a legit disaster area if something doesn't change quickly. All the hotels are full. My family will probably have to move out of town/state if our house is damaged - there are no other options.

Edited by SuperWSO

As of the latest update, the fire is within one mile of the Air Force Academy grounds.

True, but it's a mile from the South side of base. Cadet area is 5-6 N of there. Base housing on the other hand....and the airfield.....

My father in law is a retired EPSO deputy and works security for D-20 school district. They just asked him to work security (he's usually off all summer) at Discovery Canyon High as the cadets are being relocated there. Its a huge campus with several large gyms. Will try to confirm.

Granted, I don't know crap--communication is excellent as always . But I do know Discovery Canyon is where they were going to hold summer academics if they had to evac. I have no idea where the cadets will actually be living if they move. I've seen some rumors they are evac'ing cadet area, but nothing official. And since they usually announce everything via email....

I have a couple basics I was planning on dropping off tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll have some babysitters for the rest of the week.