NATO apologises for Afghan Koran 'burning'

HoHum

Not my argument, but what I've been reading goes something like this: We're being "Vietnam-ed".

That's totally true but totally irrelevant in the long term. Today we have an embassy in Hanoi, dock Navy ships there and have normal trade relations. At some point the enemy can outlast us on their own turf using 4GW but we have the power to say "fuck em" and leave, knowing we'll get them in the end with the spread of globalization. You're right that the Taliban and other assholes who will probably take over again at some point will kill Karzai and anyone else who helped us but at this point, so what? We got what we wanted out of Afghanistan IMHO (decimating AQ senior leadership and training camps), and we even gave nation building the ole' college try and did a better job than the previous occupiers.

...except in the madras, busy formulating hate against the West in the new generation...

I think you meant madrassas. Madras on the other hand is a soft cotton fabric from India.

We leave, the Taliban returns, AQ returns, and in five years it'll be like we never even went.

I think you're overestimating the Taliban's love for AQ foreigners...that relationship didn't exactly work out so great for the Taliban last time they let AQ hang around. There will be assholes that hate us there for sure (there are now), but will they be able to strike us back home once all the "easy" targets like convoys are out of there? That's the real question and I'd argue the answer is no, Afghan militants won't be nearly as dangerous as those in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, etc.

State is supposed to "nation build".

State also has no money or personnel (compared to DOD), so yea, good luck with that!

Edited by nsplayr

We got what we wanted out of Afghanistan IMHO (decimating AQ senior leadership and training camps), and we even gave nation building the ole' college try and did a better job than the previous occupiers.

Correct.

There will be assholes that hate us there for sure (there are now), but will they be able to strike us back home once all the "easy" targets like convoys are out of there? That's the real question and I'd argue the answer is no, Afghan militants won't be nearly as dangerous as those in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, etc.

Correct.

There are more people who hate us and teach hate for us in Saudi Arabia than in Afghanistan. We can leave and it will be fine. We can always come back if required.

State also has no money or personnel (compared to DOD), so yea, good luck with that!

State is a joke.

Edited by Rainman A-10

Correct.

Correct.

There are more people who hate us and teach hate for us in Saudi Arabia than in Afghanistan. We can leave and it will be fine. We can always come back if required.

State is a joke.

Yeah, went over to the Embassy the other day.. just on the other side of the wall but a completely different world. It's great, for them, that they have some nicely stocked shelves of booze in the "gift shop".. I won't give the example that comes to mind, mostly because there's too many incriminating details, but I'll just say the embassy pukes live in their own little fantasy land..

I won't give the example that comes to mind, mostly because there's too many incriminating details, but I'll just say the embassy pukes live in their own little fantasy land..

Bunch of fucking frat boys.

Anyone see Newt's recent comments on Afghanstan? I'm too busy right now to find a link but he shacked it. He basically said that you can't help someone who has been miserable for thousands of years and sometimes you just have to let them be miserable.

Edit to add: "It's not possible to fix Afghanistan."

Edited by HerkFE

Guest CAVEMAN

I won't give the example that comes to mind, mostly because there's too many incriminating details, but I'll just say the embassy pukes live in their own little fantasy land..

Yeah, State lost their hardcore diplomats post Vietnam era. There are still good dudes here and there meaning well, but they are the minority.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03/01/2-troops-killed-by-afghan-soldier-civilian/

2 more American advisors killed in Southern AFG:

A district chief in southern Kandahar's Zhari district said the shootings took place on a NATO base when an Afghan civilian who taught a literacy course for Afghan soldiers and lived on the base started shooting at NATO troops. Niaz Mohammad Sarhadi said the shootings occurred at 3 a.m. and that NATO troops returned fire and killed the man and an Afghan soldier.

Mohammad Mohssan, an Afghan Army spokesman in Kandahar city, confirmed the incident occurred at a base in Zhari and involved two Afghans, one of whom was a soldier, who opened fire on coalition troops from a sentry tower. He said both were killed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03/01/2-troops-killed-by-afghan-soldier-civilian/#ixzz1ns8jhkoW

Sad and frustrating, I think Ob is tripping on his d*ck again. To sum the whole thing up:

Obama to Karzai: "Sorry about that."

Karzai: "Thanks, but your personnel should be tried for this crime."

Muslims: Kill Americans repeatedly over the issue.

Obama: "I think my apology worked pretty well, don't you?"

Apologies for the paraphrasing.

FM

• 2 weeks later...
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) - A U.S. soldier went on a shooting rampage in southern Afghanistan on Sunday, bursting into the homes of civilians in villages near his base in the middle of the night and killing up to 16 people, an Afghan minister told Reuters.

Minister of Border and Tribal Affairs Asadullah Khalid, who is investigating the incident, said the soldier entered three homes, killing 11 people in the first one.

Other Afghan officials said at least seven people died.

The incident came just weeks after U.S. soldiers burned copies of large numbers of Korans at a NATO base, triggering widespread anti-Western protests, and plunging already strained ties between Kabul and Washington to a new low.

The soldier has been detained and an investigation is underway, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) coalition said.

Civilian casualties have been a major source of friction between President Hamid Karzai's Western-backed government and U.S.-led NATO forces in Afghanistan.

"I cannot explain the motivation behind such callous acts, but they were in no way part of authorized ISAF military activity," ISAF deputy commander Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw said in a statement.

Pretty early on and I'm sure more will come out. I'm sure the calls to leave will keep growing. Thoughts?

Edit: Deleted this post as a "NEW" thread, thought it could be put here as being related to Afghanistan, not insinuating any relevance to the Koran burning.