Tuition Assistance Cuts

Guest C-17 Flyer

NOOOOOO you can't do that the entire AF network system would crash or skynet would take over according to the Comm weenies.

Besides, if you turn off your computer at night, how can they make you do those 30 second forced restarts?

An MBA buddy and I are looking into a business solution for some of the graduate school woes people are facing (i.e. financing and marginal job prospects after graduating). We have nothing to sell and just doing consumer/market study.

If you are currently applying to grad school or just went through the process and are willing to answer a few questions to help out a fellow flier, shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Was anyone else a little bit upset when TA got reinstated? All this talk about potentially masking higher education was getting me excited.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does get masked. Think about it--the AF and the other services have to continue to offer TA because the law says so, however, each service can reduce the desire to use TA by not giving as much weight to advanced degrees. I think the enlisted force will still most likely use it in a similar way...though in the AF, if they reduced the requirement of the CCAF for certain jobs, making E-8, etc, you could see that number drop as well.

• 6 months later...

I really hate to be the guy to ask this question - but has TA officially been CNX'ed for people? I got an email from Trident today (o yeah ... the three pronged approach to education...suck it bitches) saying that they were concerned about funding for the upcoming semester...I have not gotten any word from the ed office that my approved TA was going to now be rejected...mainly because they got furloughed and certainly aren't going to the folks to come in and work for free.

I only ask because lets be honest. we all know what is important in life. Maybe i'll finally get to read the things I need to read for my upcoming deployment rather than worry about the important stuff.

All TA has been put on hold, as there's no funding behind it. Some universities are giving out "grants" to military students enrolling in the next few weeks, you'd have to contact them.

Most of my airmen that were using TA are just taking the next term off (if they're doing 8 week terms). Better safe then to get stuck holding the bill.

"Lt. Jones, it looks like you haven't started your masters. If you don't start it you will be well behind your peers..."

:vomit:

"What's that you say, Lt Jones? There's no funding for TA? Stop quibbling and use your GI Bill or just pay out of pocket. You do know you can't get a decent strat without a master's, right?"

• Upvote 1

I'm sure Trident will offer grants to everyone because they care about education and not the bottom line.

No way! I thought it was standard policy for all military masters factory schools to raise their tuition rates just weeks after barely hanging on to their accredations because they "care" so much about allowing us to get our learn on..

Edited by drachen

• 3 months later...

(New?) Army rules for TA usage.

1. Service members may not use the entitlement until one year after completing basic training and initial qualification course. From the way it was phrased I am assuming that means until completion of first tech school?

2. Members who use TA to complete a Bachelors Degree must wait ten years to use the entitlement to complete a Masters Degree.

seems to me the Army does't value a well educated warrant officer and enlisted force. 10 years between? That's ridiculous, if there's someone out there who has a vested interest in continuing their education, they shouldn't be penalized for that.

1. Service members may not use the entitlement until one year after completing basic training and initial qualification course. From the way it was phrased I am assuming that means until completion of first tech school?

2. Members who use TA to complete a Bachelors Degree must wait ten years to use the entitlement to complete a Masters Degree.

No problem. Just pay for the last class out of pocket.

But seriously, since we often follow the example of the Army, now is probably a good time to take advantage of today's benefits if you're on the fence.

Many of my classmates got full reimbursement. We have that too, it is the GI Bill. But yeah, our TA is a pain in the ass. When I got my MBA, my school repeatedly deferred due dates because the AF wouldn't pay its relatively small share. That is what I get for trying to go beyond simply checking the box.

I was flat told they won't pay for my masters degree.

And I'm one of the few Warrants who had a Bachelors when I showed up. What pissed me off about it was being told by a CW5 who sat on he board that me having a bachelors prior to Army service kent the same to him as no Bachelors at all. And I asked... They won't pay for a 2nd more useful non basket weaving bachelors degree either.

seems to me the Army does't value a well educated warrant officer and enlisted force. 10 years between? That's ridiculous, if there's someone out there who has a vested interest in continuing their education, they shouldn't be penalized for that.

The Army is probably still going by the old school idea that enlisted are high school grads and officers are supposed to be the college educated personnel. Maybe the AF should start pushing that mindset so airmen start learning their jobs instead of working on classes for their EPR bullets,