Anwar Al-Awlaki Killed

amishflyer01d

I would say overcome by events at this point.

With respect to the deceased and his kind, I will defer to the sentiment to the so eloquently expressed by the band Dope (though they most certainly were not the first to have uttered the phrase): Die motherfucker, die motherfucker, die...

• Upvote 1

Did we ever decide if this was Constitutional?

Does anyone giva shit? We're (Military) paid to execute policy not make it. Dominate the airspace you own and trust that your leaders are making the right decisions. Trust me I am in no way naive but that's the way I see it. Are you a fan of Ron Paul by chance? Plus it demonstrates that we're willing to clean house regardless of affiliation. If you are a US citizen and threaten terroism on the US, you lose said right for a fair trial IMHO. Personal take on the situation, not looking to encite a flame fest.

Cooter

• Upvote 2

I would say overcome by events at this point.

With respect to the decesed and his kind, I will defer to the sentiment to the so eloquently expressed by the band Dope (though they most certainly were not the first to have uttered the phrase): Die mother######er, die mother######er, die...

I prefer the moto version(please excuse the Mi24 @ 1:12):

Edited by Gyreaux

Does anyone giva shit? We're (Military) paid to execute policy not make it. Dominate the airspace you own and trust that your leaders are making the right decisions. Trust me I am in no way naive but that's the way I see it. Are you a fan of Ron Paul by chance? Plus it demonstrates that we're willing to clean house regardless of affiliation. If you are a US citizen and threaten terroism on the US, you lose said right for a fair trial IMHO. Personal take on the situation, not looking to encite a flame fest.

Cooter

I disagree. I think this case presents some serious questions. When does one forfeit their 5th Amendment rights? The right not to be deprived of life without due process is a pretty serious one.

Am I sad to see Awlaki offed? Hell no. I am concerned about the precedent though.

The right not to be deprived of life without due process is a pretty serious one.

What about the right of life to those he was plotting to kill? At what point do their rights begin to matter?

This fucker left this country with no plans to return (unless he was to return with explosives in his shorts). He declared war on these United States and we have evidence that he was actively involved in past acts of war/terrorism (not going to get into semantics) against us and was plotting future acts against us as well.

This is was not a criminal that we could send the cops out to arrest and then try before a jury of his peers. This fucker is was an enemy of the country operating from foreign soil. Period dot.

By the way, there is plenty of precedent for this. For example, there were American citizens of German descent in WW2 that went to fight for Germany. We didn't try to arrest those guys, did we? Fuck no. They were enemy combatants regardless of citizenship.

American lives were just saved and no one should miss a wink of sleep over that.

Edited by Danny Noonin
  • Upvote 4

Does anyone giva shit? We're (Military) paid to execute policy not make it.

It's posts like this that make me miss the good old days of the minus sign. I give a shit because we're NOT paid to execute policy, we're paid to support and defend the constitution. I'm not saying that this kill wasn't constitutional; however, your blanket statement implying that we are just to do what we are told to do is not only false, it is dangerous.

• Upvote 1

It's posts like this that make me miss the good old days of the minus sign. I give a shit because we're NOT paid to execute policy, we're paid to support and defend the constitution. I'm not saying that this kill wasn't constitutional; however, your blanket statement implying that we are just to do what we are told to do is not only false, it is dangerous.

Is it our duty as officers to question unlawful orders? Absoloutely, no question about it. But I in no way see this as unlawful. Have I agreed with every political decision that has been made that has affected military execution...FuuuuuUck NO. Is there a point where you say, "this is wrong" and march down to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and bang on the front door like he just knocked up your wife? Yep...there sure is but this ain't it.

BTW...Have you heard of "Inspire" magazine? Do you know the situation in Yemen?

This is a far cry from knocking off John Q. Public "Homegrown terrorist" in the parking lot of Starbucks with a Pred. Would you have liked us to commit thousands of troops to an already unstable situation and start another Iraq? Funny thing is people like to be safe but they don't want to get dirty. People were cheering in the streets (poor form but...ehhhhh wahtever) when we killed UBL...violating a soverign nations airspace...psshhhhhh...suck it Pakistan. That debate lasted 5 minutes, now this guy gets clipped and people all of a sudden are like, "whoa...wait...was that cool????" Yes he was American, guess what? Don't want a hellfire through the forehead? Don't go to Yemen and threaten America.

I think this is being blown up by politicians for no other reason than elections are coming up. Hence why I choose not to vote...they all suck.

Cooter

• Upvote 2

When does one forfeit their 5th Amendment rights?

When one plans terrorist operations against US citizens, on US soil. Whether or not the exact verbiage exists in codified law should be irrelevant. You wanna target Americans? You deserve to eat a Hellfire.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. I think this case presents some serious questions. When does one forfeit their 5th Amendment rights? The right not to be deprived of life without due process is a pretty serious one.

Easy, when you're in a foreign country fighting against America.

Also, the constitution does not give rights. It merely limits government to ensure we maintain certain rights.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation"

Doesn't guarantee anything to someone fighting for a foreign organization against the US.

• Upvote 1

To me the problem is there was not a reasonable way to arrest him and bring him to trial. If he presented himself to authorities in the United States, I have no doubt he would have received a trial. He chose to hide on foreign soil, in what I would consider a battlefield, and actively plot and participate in operations. That decision was an active forfeiture of his rights to a trial or other due process. It is a tricky way to go about things, but we need to adjust out laws and mindset to the threats that are out there. Like someone else said, this wasn't a snap decision to kill joe blow citizen while he was out at starbucks, this was carefully vetted by both political and military leaders from all stripes and in that context, I support similar operations in the future.

It's posts like this that make me miss the good old days of the minus sign.

And yours me also.

Did we ever decide if this was Constitutional?

Yes. We decided it at the same time we decided you should STFU UFN.

I think this case presents some serious questions.

Case? There is no "case."

There was a target. It was destroyed. The fucking end. Next.

Am I sad to see Awlaki offed? Hell no. I am concerned about the precedent though.

When you take up arms against the US, we have a right to defend ourselves.