Woodward to Command 17AF

M2

Anyone know her?

Brig. Gen. Margaret Woodward has been tapped to take command of 17th Air Force (Air Forces Africa) at Ramstein AB, Germany. She has been vice commander of 18th Air Force at Scott AFB, Ill., since January 2009. If the Senate approves her nomination, she'll replace Maj. Gen. Ronald Ladnier, who had headed 17th AF since October 2008 and is set to retire officially on Sept. 1 after 33 years of uniformed service. Woodward entered the Air Force in 1983. She is a command pilot with more than 3,500 flight hours in KC-135 tankers, trainer platforms, and C-37A and C-40B passenger transports.

"Maggie" was the OG/CC at Randolph when I was a Nav Stud. Her husband was the WG/CC at Laughlin and the joke was it was a race between them to make General. She has a good sence of humor. The studs created a photoshop advertising an O-Call right before the Thankgiving Holiday with her face pasted onto a June Clever look-alike, and it was personally approved by her. It's my one and only limited experience with her, but it was a positive one.

Just got a brief from her at GRACC. (A/C course at Scott for heavy drivers)

She was good at working a bored crowd and not talking excessively about nothing. When asked about the tanker contract, she dodged the question, and no one else really lobbed any tough questions. My initial impression from the hour or so spent with her was suspiciously positive, but she did subscribe to a lot of the kool-aid.

So who won? I was at DLF when he was wing king but never heard where he went from there.

It was almost a tie. They are both Generals now.

Maggie was a -135 A/C at Plattsburgh with me while Dan was flying the FB. I can see how she made rank, she was good with people (peers as well as bosses). Back in the day she wasn't too worried about PC crap and could hang with us on alert watching Dr Strangelove and talking feces with the best of us (and didn't make a stink about the occasional "hydraulic training" film that showed in the alert theater). I haven't seen her in years so no idea how much koolaid she drank but given that you have to drink some to make rank, I would imagine she has fallen in line with at least some of the AF way. I hope she has kept some degree of crewdog attitude but have no real knowledge one way or the other.

Just got a brief from her at GRACC. (A/C course at Scott for heavy drivers)

She was good at working a bored crowd and not talking excessively about nothing. When asked about the tanker contract, she dodged the question, and no one else really lobbed any tough questions. My initial impression from the hour or so spent with her was suspiciously positive, but she did subscribe to a lot of the kool-aid.

I heard secondhand that she called another group at GRACC lazy because they were questioning (in her mind "complaining about") the greatly increased ops tempo and some less than intelligent (is there any other kind?) utilization of air mobility assets.

Hopefully it was just a poorly delivered joke. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

She was my T-38 IP in UPT and is a sincerely good egg and a great aviator.

I took a gunpig to Andrews when she was the Wingking and she met me on the ramp, gave me a big hug, and drove me around like I was a DV.

She is about as down to earth a person as I have ever met. I am glad to see she is going to 18th and it probably means she is on the 2-Star list.

I met her/talked with her when she was the WG/CC at Macdill, and she made a great impression. She was really easy going, very friendly, and seemed like she genuinely cared about her people. She also had some pretty good jokes. I don't know anything about working for her, but just evaluating her as a human being, I would say she is the kind of General the Air Force could use more of.

It was almost a tie. They are both Generals now.

BGen Dan Woodward retired last year. I was at DLF when he was the Wing King. Helluva CC and a welcome change from the a-hole he replaced.

I've recently flown with her. I'll "2" all responses so far. She is WAY down to earth. If she didn't have a star on her shoulder, I would've forgotten she was a General. Also a very good stick (made multiple contacts never having seen receiver A/R before). Score for 17th AF!

Flew with her a couple of times when I was at tweet PIT. She was fun to fly with. I was cross country with a student at MacDill when she saw me at the Golf Course snack bar and remembered me by name, even though it had been a couple of years. I am glad to see she is doing well.

Buenos

I posted in another thread about general officers only spending one tour in the MWS as a crew dog and Maggie fits this to a T. With that said, while I was at Randolph (she was the OG) we roof stomped her. She found out about the plan ahead of time; told squadron leaders that it was a bad time (she was busy) and to turn it off. They didn't. We showed up with a huge cooler full of beer, and she retaliated with a full keg and two coolers full of bottled imported beer. She was a class act.

Others may look at her as a kool-aid drinker, I look at her as a positive thinker. She's good, and she's a good influence on our morale.

Kuma