F-16 Down in Korea

drumkitwes

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/02/airforce_f16_crash_osan_022610w/

Pilot safe after F-16C bailout over S. Korea

By Bruce Rolfsen - Staff writer

Posted : Friday Feb 26, 2010 12:54:50 EST

An Air Force pilot safely ejected from his F-16C Fighting Falcon on Thursday as he tried to land the jet at Osan Air Base, South Korea, according to Air Force reports.

The unidentified pilot from Osan’s 36th Fighter Squadron suffered minor injuries. The jet was heavily damaged and crashed within Osan’s boundaries.

The F-16C had been the lead jet for a three-plane formation, a report said. While preparing to land at Osan at 12:34 p.m., the 22-year-old plane became uncontrollable and the pilot bailed out.

Glad to hear he's okay. As always, the AF Times reporting leaves much to be desired.

The jet was heavily damaged

I'm curious as to whether this is what was reported by the AF - I'd be impressed to see a pilot eject from an aircraft and that aircraft hit the ground and be anything other than destroyed.

and crashed within Osan’s boundaries.

Osan city or Osan AB? Just saying "Osan" makes me think city (which is not where the base is actually located), but "boundaries" makes it sound like the base, backed up the fact that it was "preparing to land".

the 22-year-old plane became uncontrollable and the pilot bailed out.

I don't see a need for that factoid, unless you're trying to (very prematurely) imply that its age contributed to the crash like the C models.

I'm curious as to whether this is what was reported by the AF - I'd be impressed to see a pilot eject from an aircraft and that aircraft hit the ground and be anything other than destroyed.

Most A-10s they just bang out the dents with a hammer, tip it back up on the gear, taxi to the closest road and get a one time flight approval to get it back to base.

Osan city or Osan AB? Just saying "Osan" makes me think city (which is not where the base is actually located), but "boundaries" makes it sound like the base, backed up the fact that it was "preparing to land".

As long as it stayed clear of Songtan juicy bars, super mink blanket shops and and yaki mando carts all is well.

see: 56-6714 art.#381

about a third of the way down. . didnt eject, well atleast not physically. i believe the jet is on sticks at beale. .

http://www.blackbirds.net/u2/u2local.html

I like 80-1084... talk about a miserable feeling of "wtf do I do now".

anyway, I originally read the Air Force Magazine article about the F-106, it is linked in the link I posted before. I didn't realize that when I posted it originally. It goes in to much more depth, including that the aircraft was repaired and re-used... Pretty impressive to have been ejected from mid-flight and then land on its own well enough to be able to be flown again.

Edited by AEWingsMN

Family friend is in an exclusive Navy club being one of a few pilots to eject out of a plane, then fly that same plane again a few years later. It's been a few years since he told the story but as I recall he was flying an RA5C Vigilante and was trying to trap on the boat in bad seas. Just before impact he realized the deck was coming up way to fast and that he would not be able to go around so he ejected. The jet crash landed on the boat and he was recovered from the water. They kept the plane in the hangar for the remainder of the cruise and he thought it would be sent to salvage. Two years later he was reporting to a new unit and when he went out to the line to fly a mission, he recognized his tail number for the day as the same one he had ejected out of.

The RA5C Vigilante is one big bird by the way;

vigi_approaching_cat2.jpg

vigi_f4_bw.jpg

Glad to hear the pilot's OK. Loss of control close to the ground...I can't image the "oh shit" factor on that one.

Picked up on another board:

Air Force pilot ejects before jet crash

Stars and Stripes

Pacific edition, Saturday, February 27, 2010

OSAN AIR BASE, South Korea — An Air Force pilot escaped serious injury Thursday when he ejected before his F-16 fighter crashed while landing, authorities said.

Base officials did not immediately identify the pilot, who was treated at the base hospital for minor cuts and released, said 1st Lt. Chris Hoyler, a spokesman for Osan's 51st Fighter Wing.

There were no other injuries or property damage reported in the crash, which occurred around 12:40 p.m., said.

The fighter, an F-16C, had nearly touched down when the pilot ejected, Hoyler said.

The pilot, assigned to the wing's 36th Fighter Squadron, had just taken part in a routine training flight in which he and two other F-16s practiced mock attacks on ground targets, Hoyler said.

The plane did not catch fire and remained structurally intact after the crash.

"As far as its future flyability … that won't be decided until a thorough analysis is completed," Hoyler said.

Hoyler said reasons why the pilot ejected and whether the day's rains and cloudy skies were a factor are currently under investigation.

Pacific Air Forces headquarters in Hawaii will appoint a board to issue written findings on the crash.

see: 56-6714 art.#381

about a third of the way down. . didnt eject, well atleast not physically. i believe the jet is on sticks at beale. .

http://www.blackbirds.net/u2/u2local.html

Chase plane was a Tweet out of Mather. Deuce Pilot had a seizure on the way down. Chase was trying to talk to him the whole way with no response. The power lines actually righted the aircraft. After the "landing", brother was standing on the seat when he was "egressing" the aircraft. Seat fired, flipped him over and he lands on his feet. No shit.

This will be another U-2 thread before you know it! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Huggy or HiFlyer can probably add some detail to that...

Edited by Spoo

Chase plane was a Tweet out of Mather. Deuce Pilot had a seizure on the way down. Chase was trying to talk to him the whole way with no response. The power lines actually righted the aircraft. After the "landing", brother was standing on the seat when he was "egressing" the aircraft. Seat fired, flipped him over and he lands on his feet. No shit.

EDIT: Huggy can probably add some detail to that...

I can. Actually, as I recall he hit some trees first, which knocked the flight path over towards the only open ground within miles, then hit the wires, which leveled his wings, then it bellied in to a small open field in the middle of the forest. When he came to, he was sitting in the field virtually undamaged, with the engine still running, and with no recognition of the time span between his last conscious period (climbing thru the 20s) and the moment he awoke in the field (typical of people who have seizures). He said he had a hard time understanding that he was suddenly on the ground and needed to shut the engine down. He was not, however, totally uninjured...he chipped a tooth when the seat fired and flipped him out of the cockpit and onto the ground beside the aircraft! The flight docs couldn't find a single thing wrong with him when he was examined. He was perfectly fine.

Most A-10s they just bang out the dents with a hammer, tip it back up on the gear, taxi to the closest road and get a one time flight approval to get it back to base.

Oh I don't doubt that. I should have been more clear; "I'd be impressed to see a pilot eject from an aircraft Tinker Toy and that aircraft Tinker Toy hit the ground and be anything other than destroyed.

Reading the new info, doesn't sound like he was too far from the ground, so major damage vice destruction makes sense.

Having just been propositioned by her a couple hours ago, I can also confirm that Songtan Sally was not injured in the mishap. Thank God.

"..Hey soldier, you wanna go?"

-1.jpg

Ohh...and despite her irresistible allure, I was somehow able to declare victory over temptation once again.

Hey...right outside Mr. Oh's shop. I wonder if the old guy is still working? He took care of me pretty well starting back in the 70s! I still have some of the stuff he made for me in the early 90s...he makes a mean cashmere overcoat!

Edited by HiFlyer

Ohh...and despite her irresistible allure, I was somehow able to declare victory over temptation once again.

Awesome!

My favorite part of the night was always when Madame Mama-san was screaming "What matta, you notta man? You no like girls or sumting? You like guy or sumting!? Come back here!" at my back as I took a pass and walked away.

EDIT: Huggy or HiFlyer can probably add some detail to that...

Gunner on a B-52G did the same thing (with unfortunately different results) while stepping on his seat to egress the aircraft. Seat fired him into the air and he was killed on impact.

I vaguely recall an urban legend of a T-38 ejection with aircraft righting itself after first guy getting out. Pilot still onboard flies back to base minus 1. Anybody know of any truth to this?

Not sure of the exact "urbal legend", but it's happened at least once. In 1971 or 72, we had a T-38 on a dual contact ride come back with a dual engine flameout on the recovery leg. They tried to restart multiple times with no luck. As they approached from the NW, passing 2000' AGL, Roger (the IP) ordered bailout. The stud didn't, so Roger did. The stud tried one more restart and got one lit, then landed on 13C. Roger landed a couple hundred yards short of Highway 90 after about two swings in the chute. The kid would have been dead (way below the envelope by then) if the engine hadn't lit. Roger was exonerated (he did the right thing) but the kid was hammered with an Art 15 or LOR for disobeying an order to eject, and tossed out of UPT. I was the T-38 RSU controler on the outside (13L) that day.

And yes, Roger did take a little good natured ribbing afterwards from the rest of us, but he was dead right in his decisions and actions.

Not sure of the exact "urbal legend", but it's happened at least once. In 1971 or 72, we had a T-38 on a dual contact ride come back with a dual engine flameout on the recovery leg. They tried to restart multiple times with no luck. As they approached from the NW, passing 2000' AGL, Roger (the IP) ordered bailout. The stud didn't, so Roger did. The stud tried one more restart and got one lit, then landed on 13C. Roger landed a couple hundred yards short of Highway 90 after about two swings in the chute. The kid would have been dead (way below the envelope by then) if the engine hadn't lit. Roger was exonerated (he did the right thing) but the kid was hammered with an Art 15 or LOR for disobeying an order to eject, and tossed out of UPT. I was the T-38 RSU controler on the outside (13L) that day.

And yes, Roger did take a little good natured ribbing afterwards from the rest of us, but he was dead right in his decisions and actions.

Wow. I wonder why the kid thought it was a good idea to stay with the jet...other than the fact he's young, inexperienced, a student, etc. Man, when I was a stud the IP wouldn't have gotten to the second "bailout" before my ass was up and out.

Wow, that's crazy. When I was reading that story, I was thinking to myself "this kid must have gotten a gold sticker and a raise for saving that airplane." And then... Article 15. I suppose it makes sense. You don't want dumbass students getting themselves killed because they think they know better than the instructor. But it's certainly something about the culture that isn't, at first glance, intuitive.

Wow, that's crazy. When I was reading that story, I was thinking to myself "this kid must have gotten a gold sticker and a raise for saving that airplane." And then... Article 15. I suppose it makes sense. You don't want dumbass students getting themselves killed because they think they know better than the instructor. But it's certainly something about the culture that isn't, at first glance, intuitive.

Even worse than his stupidity would have been the impact/effect on the rest of the studs if the guy who violated the IPs order was given a gold star. It would have validated the idea that the dash-1 was not to be followed...in this case, the guidance to initiate ejection at the 2000' AGL point in an "under control" situation, and the admonition that you can't land a T-38 with dual engine flameout because you will loose hydraulics in the flare and thus lose control. I think he said he was afraid of being injured in the ejection...he was terminally stupid and incredibly lucky!!

Even worse than his stupidity would have been the impact/effect on the rest of the studs if the guy who violated the IPs order was given a gold star. It would have validated the idea that the dash-1 was not to be followed...in this case, the guidance to initiate ejection at the 2000' AGL point in an "under control" situation, and the admonition that you can't land a T-38 with dual engine flameout because you will loose hydraulics in the flare and thus lose control. I think he said he was afraid of being injured in the ejection...he was terminally stupid and incredibly lucky!!

Couldn't agree more. Bud Holland was one of those guys made of teflon and he single-handedly killed morale and 5 other guys.