Flyers wearing ABU's

Guest BUFF DRIVER

Guest BUFF DRIVER

I am wondering if this is just a local thing or is there an airforce wide movement among leadership in the flying community wearing abu's to "blend" with the rest of the troops ?

I am wondering if this is just a local thing or is there an airforce wide movement among leadership in the flying community wearing abu's to "blend" with the rest of the troops ?

I've randomly seen some flyers rocking ABUs for no good reason; not sure why.

Even flyers command those that aren't. It might be good to make sure you understand their needs better, as in the inadequacy of these flannel BDUs. I think on our base they wear them on certain days because all the commanders seem to wear them on the same day.

Functionally speaking, i've worn them a bunch on two non-flying deployments to the AOR. i think it's easier to stay cooler since you can take the top off. other than that, i don't see a real reason why except to maybe "blend" in better with your troops as a CC.

Anybody been to a Commander's course recently? Maybe that's what they're pushing there.

I would concur. Currently doing the Online Masters Course for ACSC and the Practice of Command class mentions this a few times. Reason is that it would show that the SQ/CC relates to his non-flyers.

Edited by herkbum

I'm glad to hear people have such high self esteem they need a leader to be dressed like them in order to feel accepted. Apparently they are too stupid to notice the giant wings on the ABUs?

On the other hand, some senior leaders fly so little ABUs certainly seem appropriate.

Our bags are out of reg this year. In the Army we now have to wear a "flight suit" that looks like the ACU's the ground guys wear. You can't even wear your wings on it normally because they are pin on (hence metal). There was a time they were making pilots (101st) wear face paint (yeah an oil based) when they flew. So it could always be worse. I will miss my jammies though.

edit for grammer.

Edited by OverTQ

Guest SATCOM

In the Army we now have to wear a "flight suit" that looks like the ACU's the ground guys wear.

See a lot of flying O-6's wearing ABU's lately, never really thought about it. Was in a briefing recently and saw an Army O-5 wearing the two-piece, ACU-like flight suit. Had to do a double take. It looks pretty comfy.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad to hear people have such high self esteem they need a leader to be dressed like them in order to feel accepted. Apparently they are too stupid to notice the giant wings on the ABUs?

On the other hand, some senior leaders fly so little ABUs certainly seem appropriate.

You have to remember, the AF is the touchy-feely, PC Air Force. We have to make people feel better about themselves, we don't want to hurt anybodys feelings. Lots of non-flyers are now (and have been) wearing FLIGHT suits and leather jackets. To be a flyer and to be lucky enough to wear a flight suit and the leather flight jacket was once a source of pride and honor. That luster is now gone because they hand them out to missileers, med techs, honor guard teams, etc, etc, etc. The Air Force (as a whole) has lost its focus on what really matters. The Air Force leadership needs to toughen up and not be so pussified.

I'm all for wearing the bag as much as possible, but I think it's a good idea as a CC to wear the ABU or whatever your troops are wearing from time to time. After all, it's one thing to hear "man, this stupid interior pocket is useless and just makes you hot" or whatever, and it's another thing to experience it for yourself. I don't agree with the touchy-feely argument, but it makes sense to do so in order to understand the issues related with the uniform and therefore be better able to talk about them up the chain.

I myself am a non-flyer (CE), we just got a new CC, a flyer, and he does not wear his bag. I think it would look ridiculous to have someone wearing a bag in a squadron where no one else wears them. I think if he decided to wear the bag, my squadron might be slower to accept him and harder for him to fit in, instead since he doesn't wear the bag, he fits in great and I really feel he is going to be a great CC for my squadron (I'm not saying that if he did wear the bag I would think he wouldn't be a great CC).

I personally wore them a few times right before the last deployment. Now, granted I wore them to break in my new desert boots, and after that, they went into the bottom of my bag not to be seen again unless there is a dire emergency, but that's just me.

Edited by capt4fans

I'm all for wearing the bag as much as possible, but I think it's a good idea as a CC to wear the ABU or whatever your troops are wearing from time to time. After all, it's one thing to hear "man, this stupid interior pocket is useless and just makes you hot" or whatever, and it's another thing to experience it for yourself. I don't agree with the touchy-feely argument, but it makes sense to do so in order to understand the issues related with the uniform and therefore be better able to talk about them up the chain.

So, you should try the materinty service dress if you're a male CC with pregnant troops?

I myself am a non-flyer (CE), we just got a new CC, a flyer, and he does not wear his bag. I think it would look ridiculous to have someone wearing a bag in a squadron where no one else wears them. I think if he decided to wear the bag, my squadron might be slower to accept him and harder for him to fit in, instead since he doesn't wear the bag, he fits in great and I really feel he is going to be a great CC for my squadron (I'm not saying that if he did wear the bag I would think he wouldn't be a great CC).

He shouldn't wear his bag, he is a CE/CC.

Why on Earth is a flyer filling a CE/CC position? I always thought that leaders in the CE community grew up there. With limited senior leadership possibilities to begin with why would they pass up the chance to fill this position from within?

Plus. . . there are plenty of UAV slots (I know of at least one!) that he or she could be filling instead.

• Upvote 1

Why on Earth is a flyer filling a CE/CC position? I always thought that leaders in the CE community grew up there. With limited senior leadership possibilities to begin with why would they pass up the chance to fill this position from within?

Plus. . . there are plenty of UAV slots (I know of at least one!) that he or she could be filling instead.

He has a degree in engineering, and this is a guard job so you're right that usually CE/CC are groomed from within but there are always exceptions in the guard. And actually I think this opens up senior leadership possibilities because now he'll have a good shot at getting a future MSG/CC spot or since he is a flyer the possibility of getting the Operations Group/CC spot (I could be wrong on this, do you have to be a commander of a Ops Squadron to become Ops Group/CC?).

I wore ABUs today because it's hot as hell and I like to take the blouse off and cool down. That and apparently they don't make a flight suit that fits a 6'3" dude who weighs 195lbs; either too short or too big. Besides, I have much bigger things to worry about than making sure everyone knows I'm a flyer and to stay out of my way.

I wore ABUs today because it's hot as hell and I like to take the blouse off and cool down. That and apparently they don't make a flight suit that fits a 6'3" dude who weighs 195lbs; either too short or too big. Besides, I have much bigger things to worry about than making sure everyone knows I'm a flyer and to stay out of my way.

I wonder if Pred and Reaper crews can wear them in the GCS...

Who cares? If somebody wants to wear their Mess Dress then let them. I do agree, however, that flight suits should be worn only by those who FLY! How rediculious would it look if I showed up to the Ops Desk at step time wearing Fire Fighting pro gear. I mean I've wanted to be a Fireman when I was little but I'm not, so I don't wear a Fireman suit.

• 3 weeks later...