One-way Airline Tickets

Flare

Looking for someone with any insight on buying airline tickets... I am looking to buy a 1-way ticket from Venice (or somewhere close) back to the States this Summer, but I'm having trouble finding a decent price. I don't need a round-trip ticket, and when I use the major search engines the price for a 1-way ticket, the prices are usually double what a round-trip ticket costs. Anyone on here figured out a way around this?

To piggyback on this thread, what is the reasoning behind the following situation for the airline

I have a round trip flight booked from UK to Nebraska with a plane swap in MSP. Our families plans have changed and it would be better for us to just get off and stay off in MSP rather than take the puddle jumper down to Omaha. Called the airline and they say that if we don't use the whole ticket, the return trip will be canceled. Can someone give me a reason why this would be? In my eyes, the airline is making out both ways as the plane will be three people lighter and they are still getting their money. They can even open those seats to standby passengers.

Recommend hopping RyanAir out of Treviso (about 20 minutes from Venice) to London, then picking up a return flight to the US from London.

If you buy in advance, the flight from Treviso to London can be purchased really cheap.

Would recommend staying away from Ryanair if possible. The fares are cheap, but the extra dollar you are spending on a legitimate company is worth it. Ryanair flies out of small offsite airports and the service is sketchy at best

Would recommend staying away from Ryanair if possible. The fares are cheap, but the extra dollar you are spending on a legitimate company is worth it. Ryanair flies out of small offsite airports and the service is sketchy at best

I hear this quite often but I have been using them for 4 years now quite frequently and haven't had any issues other than the non stop sales to passengers while in the air. Well worth it for the cheap fares.

Can someone give me a reason why this would be? In my eyes, the airline is making out both ways as the plane will be three people lighter and they are still getting their money. They can even open those seats to standby passengers.

"Because they can." It's a way to bleed more money out of the paying customer. It's the flip side to the coin of "buy a round-trip, only use the first half" part of the game, but the airline controls this one.

One way to beat it, if you're willing to gamble: "miss" your connection at MSP [easier to be convincing if it's a fairly tight connection or if customs is busy], then plead your case w/ the ticket agent at the airport, say you need to get going right away, you have family locally who can loan you a car, but that you'll need to return the car before your return trip, so pretty-please can they change your return ticket from MSP...? May not hurt to work in that your time is short due to your limited military leave....

This will probably work if missing your flight is at ALL plausible *and* if there's not another flight on that airline leaving within the next couple of hours; otherwise, probably not. BTW, if you need to kill time at MSP, there's a great non-USO military lounge there at the main terminal....

Good luck!

Edited by Jughead

"Because they can." It's a way to bleed more money out of the paying customer. It's the flip side to the coin of "buy a round-trip, only use the first half" part of the game, but the airline controls this one.

One way to beat it, if you're willing to gamble: "miss" your connection at MSP [easier to be convincing if it's a fairly tight connection or if customs is busy], then plead your case w/ the ticket agent at the airport, say you need to get going right away, you have family locally who can loan you a car, but that you'll need to return the car before your return trip, so pretty-please can they change your return ticket from MSP...? May not hurt to work in that your time is short due to your limited military leave....

This will probably work if missing your flight is at ALL plausible *and* if there's not another flight on that airline leaving within the next couple of hours; otherwise, probably not. BTW, if you need to kill time at MSP, there's a great non-USO military lounge there at the main terminal....

Good luck!

We only have a 1.5 hour layover. Will be cutting it close with getting through customs and what not. I'm counting on not making it as there isn't another flight into OMA that night. If that happens we'll be good because it will be better for us to leave back out of OMA anyway. We'll see I guess.

BTW, if you need to kill time at MSP, there's a great non-USO military lounge there at the main terminal....

Ok, I'm a knuckle dragger, so bear with me: What is this 'non-USO military lounge' at MSP you speak of? I'm aware of the USO outside the main terminal by the baggage claim/car rentals that I thought was pretty nice if you have a layover--comfy recliners, free wireless, etc (too bad no alcohol). Only thing that sucks is you have to go through security again.

But is there another lounge for us military types inside the main terminal? If so, more details please!

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

I've had to cancel the return leg of a few airline flights, mostly due to work-related things (i.e. having to go TDY from my leave location). The major airlines will credit you back a portion of the ticket to use for later travel. I think the only restriction is that you have to use it within one year of the original departure date. You do not have to use the ticket to travel to and from the original destination.

I would buy the round-trip ticket and cancel the back half. Use the partial credit towards a future ticket.

What is this 'non-USO military lounge' at MSP you speak of? I'm aware of the USO outside the main terminal by the baggage claim/car rentals that I thought was pretty nice if you have a layover--comfy recliners, free wireless, etc (too bad no alcohol). Only thing that sucks is you have to go through security again.

I think we're talking about the same place--upstairs, to the front/far right (if you were curbside facing the building). It's NOT a USO lounge, it's run by some local non-profit vets group (and undoubtedly has support from the local VFW, American Legion, etc.). Upshot is that they have much nicer stuff than any USO airport lounge I've ever seen, free food/drinks, even a bunch of bunks & showers in the back for a really long layover. All of it gratis (they won't even accept donations--I tried).

As you say, going through security (again) is a hassle--but, well worth it if you'll be there much more than an hour....

Just buy the round trip ticket and don't use the return leg. I just bought a round trip ticket from Korea today with no intent of returning for the very same reason. It's a total waste of an empty seat for the airline but not my fault if that's the game they want to play.

That's technically not legal (violates the terms you agreed to when you bought the ticket - aka their Contract of Carriage). Here's just one example for Delta (most airlines have a similar restriction - I tried a couple times): Fare Info & Ticket Rules

At the bottom of that page under prohibited ticket practices:

Throw-away ticketing—use of discounted round-trip excursion fares for one-way travel.

And under that same section to answer "What can they do to me?":

Charge the passenger for the difference between the fare paid and the fare for the passenger's traveled itinerary.

There are a few reasons why the round trip is cheaper. Basically the airline is "discounting" your ticket because you choose to travel with them both ways rather than take a cheap one-way then a cheap "other-way" with another airline. Also, one-way tickets tend to have less restrictions (more expensive), etc...

Now, what are the chances they'll actually charge you the difference if you don't use the return portion???

some airlines allow you to cancel for a credit towards that airline for future ticket purchases. Might have to do some digging into the fine print, but as long as you give them adequate notice, some will work with you.

I know we have some A-word pilots on here.

Airline, Airline, Airline,Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline, Airline.

That's technically not legal (violates the terms you agreed to when you bought the ticket - aka their Contract of Carriage). Here's just one example for Delta (most airlines have a similar restriction - I tried a couple times): Fare Info & Ticket Rules

At the bottom of that page under prohibited ticket practices:

And under that same section to answer "What can they do to me?":

There are a few reasons why the round trip is cheaper. Basically the airline is "discounting" your ticket because you choose to travel with them both ways rather than take a cheap one-way then a cheap "other-way" with another airline. Also, one-way tickets tend to have less restrictions (more expensive), etc...

Now, what are the chances they'll actually charge you the difference if you don't use the return portion???

Pay in cash at the airport...then how will they charge you?