WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

To anyone that thinks some kids are bothered by consequences, read this article: http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/09/a/

WTF is wrong with kids these days?! This crap never happened at my school because we policed our own. You started bullying someone...you got the shit kicked out of you. I got in a fight with someone on the bus because he was wouldn't stop picking on a kid that had a learning disability. Bus driver looked in her mirror, saw me beating up said d-bag, and kept on driving. Got a nod from the bus driver as I walked off the bus...never heard anything more about it!

I'm also going to place blame on the parents! If my old man found out I was picking on someone at school, he would have kicked my ass...and I knew he could do it! Another thing about going to a small school is half of my teachers either went to school with my parents, or where my parents teachers. So if I acted up, they didn't need to give me detention or the paddle (yes, we still had it up through the 6th grade), they could just tell my parents...which was far worse. I know they would have believed the teachers before any BS I tried to feed them.

I know who is punished. Nobody. That is why the laws are nothing more than legislative feel good efforts. They lack the clarity to stand up in court, and despite all the anti-bully laws on the books, I challenge you to find any school employee who has been found guilty of violating them. The New Jersey anti-bully law was nearly nullified in March because several school districts challenged it as an unfunded mandate and won. The governor had to throw a million bucks into the budget to fund it, but that probably won't be enough. Meanwhile, school administrators in New Jersey say the law is causing such an administrative nightmare it is counterproductive to its intent and keeping them from doing the kind of hands on supervision actually required to maintain discipline.

I'm sure you probably picked New Jersey at random, but dig a little deeper into the impact of its anti-bully law. It proves my point in spades. Government legislation is not the answer. In fact, it has created even more problems.

Seems to me you're not saying there shouldn't be legislation but rather. at least in the case of New Jersey, it should be better written and less vague.

Should we censor this board from using abusive language? What good would that do?

Getting reprimanded at school by teachers and administrators is not going to stop bullies. They are not affected by their actions and introducing "laws" to try and prevent these suicides does nothing. They have no shame nor respect.

This is a private board- censorship is allowed and is used. Ask PYB.

Speech that harms is not protected speech. And we know bullying is more than words. It's also threats and intimidation and sometimes violent and/or sexual acts.

Just because something has always existed and will always exist doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to those actions. Schools should be doing everything in their power to halt this behavior when they are aware of it.

Should we get rid of legislation on insider trading? It's always gone on and will continue to go on...

How about traffic laws? People speed all the time. Should we also scrap those laws?

WTF is wrong with kids these days?! This crap never happened at my school because we policed our own. You started bullying someone...you got the shit kicked out of you. I got in a fight with someone on the bus because he was wouldn't stop picking on a kid that had a learning disability. Bus driver looked in her mirror, saw me beating up said d-bag, and kept on driving. Got a nod from the bus driver as I walked off the bus...never heard anything more about it!

I'm also going to place blame on the parents! If my old man found out I was picking on someone at school, he would have kicked my ass...and I knew he could do it! Another thing about going to a small school is half of my teachers either went to school with my parents, or where my parents teachers. So if I acted up, they didn't need to give me detention or the paddle (yes, we still had it up through the 6th grade), they could just tell my parents...which was far worse. I know they would have believed the teachers before any BS I tried to feed them.

Maybe that was the good old days, but now your more likely to get a cluster of kids around the target of the bullying adding their own comments to the fray.

If an adult were exposed to this kind of abuse on a daily basis, they could file a lawsuit or get a restraining order. The kids, however, are thrown back into the same classrooms, hallways, and buses as their tormentors day after day. Ideally, this anti-bullying legislation would provide for punishing the bullies, separating them from the target of their bullying, and eventually punishing their parents (nothing generates parental involvement like inconveniencing them). We punish parents when their kids are truant, how about when their kids are assholes?

Seems to me you're not saying there shouldn't be legislation but rather. at least in the case of New Jersey, it should be better written and less vague.

No. I am saying there should NOT be legislation. It is worse than useless. It is nothing more than interference by politicians looking for campaign points. It costs the schools money they don't have, wastes the time of staff members on administrative processes that end up in some legislative circular file, and hasn't changed anything with regard to the amount of bullying that has, and always will exist at all levels of human society. It is nothing more than legislation for the sake of legislation (read political interference) created by the same idiots in our state governments who can't balance a budget or even repair a pothole.

And believe it or not, New Jersey is lauded for having among the nation's best anti-bullying laws. That ought to tell you about the quality of the crap created by other states.

We punish parents when their kids are truant, how about when their kids are assholes commit assault and battery?

FIFY. Both my parents were teachers, and you would not believe the stuff some of these little shits got away with because the principal is too scared to say to parents "Actually, little Johnny isn't a good boy, he's a ######tard and so are you raising for one." Most of what's wrong in/with American schools can be traced to bad/uninvolved/moronic parenting.

• Upvote 3

No. I am saying there should NOT be legislation. It is worse than useless. It is nothing more than interference by politicians looking for campaign points. It costs the schools money they don't have, wastes the time of staff members on administrative processes that end up in some legislative circular file, and hasn't changed anything with regard to the amount of bullying that has, and always will exist at all levels of human society. It is nothing more than legislation for the sake of legislation (read political interference) created by the same idiots in our state governments who can't balance a budget or even repair a pothole.

And believe it or not, New Jersey is lauded for having among the nation's best anti-bullying laws. That ought to tell you about the quality of the crap created by other states.

I can tell you not having legislation and then your school district getting sued is a hell of a lot more expensive. We had to pass a bond measure a few years to make up the lost millions our school district had to pay because they blatantly ignored cries for help from a kid being bullied.

I guarantee you now if a similar instance happens at school it gets investigated and the bully is expelled or someone loses their job.

The legislation is working in my school district.

I can tell you not having legislation and then your school district getting sued is a hell of a lot more expensive. We had to pass a bond measure a few years to make up the lost millions our school district had to pay because they blatantly ignored cries for help from a kid being bullied.

I guarantee you now if a similar instance happens at school it gets investigated and the bully is expelled or someone loses their job.

The legislation is working in my school district.

On what data do you base your assessment that the legislation is working? And it sounds like your district was held accountable for its negligence before there was legislation. So why do we need legislation to accomplish what was already being accomplished?

On what data do you base your assessment that the legislation is working? And it sounds like your district was held accountable for its negligence before there was legislation. So why do we need legislation to accomplish what was already being accomplished?

If it was being accomplished there would have been no lawsuit.

It's like putting on a seatbelt after you've plowed into a tree. But had you been wearing that seatbelt prior...

In other words an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'd much rather the schools actively try to stop and investigate when incidents take place rather then just let it go and dealing with the consequences of inaction later.

Edited by Vertigo

It's like putting on a seatbelt after you've plowed into a tree. But had you been wearing that seatbelt prior...

In other words an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'd much rather the schools actively try to stop and investigate when incidents take place rather then just let it go and dealing with the consequences of inaction later.

If it saves just one child.

edit: sarcasm btw

Edited by Shortbus

Interesting.

So where do you stand wrt abortion?

Interesting.

So where do you stand wrt abortion?

Not my cup of tea (meaning the wife and I would probably never choose to have one) I can't see denying someone else's right to choose up to a certain point. The question is when does the fetus gain rights? Tough to say but I think viability is a good compromise.

Obama-basketball.jpeg

I can't see denying someone else's right to choose up to a certain point.

So can someone choose to bully up to a certain point?

Obama-basketball.jpeg

So can someone choose to bully up to a certain point?

People can choose to bully all they want. They have to live with the consequences of their actions.

That doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to their actions either.

People can choose to bully all they want. They have to live with the consequences of their actions.

That doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to their actions either.

So you feel strongly both ways?

Hence my question wrt abortion which some people consider the ultimate form of bullying/abuse.

So you feel strongly both ways?

Hence my question wrt abortion which some people consider the ultimate form of bullying/abuse.

Some do. That's why there is a large push of anti-abortion legislation currently being undertaken in this nation across a great number of states- all by conservatives.

Apologies to all for hijacking the thread. Back to your usual nonsense.

http://www.foxnews.c...phone-and-ipad/

A teenage high-school student in China sold his kidney for an illicit transplant operation and used the proceeds to buy an Apple iPhone and iPad state press said on Friday.

The 17-year-old boy, who was paid $3,500, was recruited from an online chat room and is now suffering from kidney failure and in deteriorating health, the Xinhua news agency said.

Edited by Vertigo

Maybe that was the good old days,

Good old days?!?! This was in the late 90's/early 2000's!

but now your more likely to get a cluster of kids around the target of the bullying adding their own comments to the fray.

Then it sounds like a cluster of kids (followers) with questionable morals/values. They know what's right and what's wrong, it just takes balls to stand up for those values. Great, sounds like we're raising a generation of pussies!

We punish parents when their kids are truant, how about when their kids are assholes?

I didn't say punish the parents. But if their kids do act like this, then they need to kick them in the ass! Or question the values that they have instilled (or didn't), in their kids.

A well placed right hook solved my "bullying" problems in high school... Just sayin...

2!