Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Here is another thing i just thought of (again, as a guard dude. I have had a few drinks)

I think someone would be more scared of correcting an E-7, than they would of correcting an 0-3.

Here is my theory. We have raised folks in this "everyone is equal" Air Force. Enlisted folks, who feel slighted and upset if an officer acts like an officer (i.e. begrudgingly saluting, grumbling about saying sir, etc) know that they will be backed up if they correct a uniform violation. SO, in order to "put an officer in his place" they go around aggressively enforcing uniform issues. However, instead of pointing out problems, now they have enforced problems.

So instead of doing an officer a "solid" by pointing out a problem, they get on a high horse and act like a superior ranked officer and feel that since it was a uniform related "offense" they can do whatever they want and will be backed. And as officers, we (myself included) are too pussy to fight back. Ive had a few beers.

IMHO

Any of you remember PSAB around '03? There was about a 3-day period where the omelet line got so long, that they decided to shut it down. Yep: it was so popular that it should be STOPPED!

Now, the billeting compound was a good drive from the main base, e.g. the flightline. Most folks rode a shuttle bus. However, higher ranking officers had cars, and as they departed the compound, they would swing by the bus stop and offer to fill any empty seats in their car with riders. Well, a couple of days after the omelet ban, the 2-star picks up a couple of enlisted guys. During the ensuing ride to the flightline, he asks "so gents,... how are things going?" Turns out the only gripe they had was the omelet ban. And they apparently bitched about it well enough that the following day, the Wing/CC was told to get the omelet line up and running again.

Victory.

As for these stories of E-7's and up running to some CC after getting in an argument, and the CC coming down on their officers, I've got to ask: are all the commanders that y'all work for that spineless? Honestly, I've seen a few that would do this, but they are in the extreme minority.

Being a passed over guy is a nice thing: I say what I think is true and correct.

Maybe that's why I'm a passed over guy.

If I remember correctly, weren't there signs at every bus stop stating "Give us a ride, don't pass us by. One team, One fight."?? I did a 30 day TDY there back in '01. When I was there, there were senior officers getting busted for not offering rides to guys. Do you remember that at all Huggy? Or am I just smoking crack?

If I remember correctly, weren't there signs at every bus stop stating "Give us a ride, don't pass us by. One team, One fight."?? I did a 30 day TDY there back in '01. When I was there, there were senior officers getting busted for not offering rides to guys. Do you remember that at all Huggy? Or am I just smoking crack?

I recall it being an emphasis item to give rides. I don't recall anyone getting called out for not doing it, but my view was a bit myopic.

I recall it being an emphasis item to give rides. I don't recall anyone getting called out for not doing it, but my view was a bit myopic.

I remember the same emphasis at the 'Deid, but I offered rides every time I had an available seat anyway. I didn't need an order to do the right thing...

Geez...this sounds more and more like Vietnam. We started with high morale, cowboy hats and handlebar mustaches from the Wing Commander down, and wound up with teams of inspectors from 7th AF wandering around the bases giving out reprimands for not having your shoes shined and uniform violations in order to allow us to "conduct the war more effectively." Expect it to get worse as the war winds down!

Geez...this sounds more and more like Vietnam. We started with high morale, cowboy hats and handlebar mustaches from the Wing Commander down, and wound up with teams of inspectors from 7th AF wandering around the bases giving out reprimands for not having your shoes shined and uniform violations in order to allow us to "conduct the war more effectively." Expect it to get worse as the war winds down!

Did anybody watch "The Unit" on CBS last night? Some of it seems pretty far fetched, but last night they had a senator or somebody with them on a mission and they kept calling him a "warrior" in a patronizing tone. I couldn't help but think of this thread. If you haven't seen it, you will probably get a laugh.

I can only watch the two year old "new" season on AFN. On another note, the comm nazis have finally done it. Only .gov/.mil web sites are accessible from government computers at the Deid. Merry Christmas.

Holy sh!t - so many questions. Let's start with, "So how is one supposed to pay the bills while here at the 'Deid?"

On another note, the comm nazis have finally done it. Only .gov/.mil web sites are accessible from government computers at the Deid. Merry Christmas.

I was there in 06 when they allowed Yahoo mail from the Gov't computers.

Our thought was "This is one well-intentioned-email-from-that-hot-stripper-girlfriend-that-Amn/Lt-has back home click away from getting shut down"

Well, with commercail Wi-Fi, maybe they assume everyone has a laptop. Or, you need to go tot he BX and get one. Chalk up another AAFES conspiracy right along side the Died hats, Blues Monday, and PT gear.

I was there in 06 when they allowed Yahoo mail from the Gov't computers.

Our thought was "This is one well-intentioned-email-from-that-hot-stripper-girlfriend-that-Amn/Lt-has back home click away from getting shut down"

Well, with commercail Wi-Fi, maybe they assume everyone has a laptop. Or, you need to go tot he BX and get one. Chalk up another AAFES conspiracy right along side the Died hats, Blues Monday, and PT gear.

Yeah, but there's two problems there

1. We use commercial sites all the time, not just government ones.

2. Not everyone has a computer and, unless they have a computer lounge, that kinda cuts people off from their homes.

Ok so nothing but .mil addresses on the computers. Are they going to beef up the wireless so it goes throughout the CC or am I going to be sitting in the BRA in 110 degree heat paying my bills and answering emails?

Has anyone looked at getting any type of wireless internet booster so you can pick up the single further out from the Bra?

geez guys, maybe you should actually ASK a comm dude (or your SQ/CC) what the deal is, because there is, in fact, a good reason behind the internet restriction. Which shouldn't be discussed here. Go ask, and then you will understand.

geez guys, maybe you should actually ASK a comm dude (or your SQ/CC) what the deal is, because there is, in fact, a good reason behind the internet restriction. Which shouldn't be discussed here. Go ask, and then you will understand.

2 :thumbsup:

2 :thumbsup:

I don't know what those details are, but I'm sure they're substantial and not idiotic.

That said, there should be a basic reason given instead of <silence>.

Just tell them everyone it is a security necessity and leave it at that.

<silence>.

well, at my location, the CS/CC sent out an e-mail to everyone on the high side with some of the details. Sucks then that your base's CS doesn't afford everyone the same courtesy.

Guest CAVEMAN
Here is another thing i just thought of (again, as a guard dude. I have had a few drinks)

I think someone would be more scared of correcting an E-7, than they would of correcting an 0-3.

Here is my theory. We have raised folks in this "everyone is equal" Air Force. Enlisted folks, who feel slighted and upset if an officer acts like an officer (i.e. begrudgingly saluting, grumbling about saying sir, etc) know that they will be backed up if they correct a uniform violation. SO, in order to "put an officer in his place" they go around aggressively enforcing uniform issues. However, instead of pointing out problems, now they have enforced problems.

So instead of doing an officer a "solid" by pointing out a problem, they get on a high horse and act like a superior ranked officer and feel that since it was a uniform related "offense" they can do whatever they want and will be backed. And as officers, we (myself included) are too ###### to fight back. Ive had a few beers.

IMHO

I will be damn if an E-9 disrespects me, much less an E-7. Everyone can have a say but you as the Officer needs to shut sh!t down. There are times you are going to want imput from everyone and their mama and there are times you will give orders. You do not need to be hearing everyones little $0.2 when you have given out an order.

You also do not have an excuse, there is a uniform policy. Follow it. You are a leader for a reason. You should set the example. You give the uniform gustapo's a reason to talk to you when you clearly disobey the uniform regulations. And if you are wrong, fix it and march on.

I have said it on here before and I will say it again, the AF is being run like a cooperation and some of the problems you have are just typical of the cooperate environment.

Assert yourself(grow a pair) in your immediate environment and stop letting SNCOs think they own the AF. They do not.

It should not be a war between the E's and the O's. You are the boss; end of story. I am not saying be cocky.....

Cave

Edited by CAVEMAN

I will be damn if an E-9 disrespects me, much less an E-7. Everyone can have a say but you as the leader needs to be quick to shut sh!t down. There are times you are going to want imput from everyone and their mama and there are times you will give orders. You do not need to be hearing everyones little $0.2 when you have given out an order.

You also do not have an excuse, there is a uniform policy. Follow it. You are a leader for a reason. You should set the example. You give the uniform gustapo's a reason to talk to you when you clearly disobey the uniform regulations. And if you are wrong, fix it and march on.

I have said it on here before and I will say it again. The AF is been run like a cooperation and some of the problems you have are just typical of the cooperate environment.

Assert yourself(grow a pair) in your immediate environment and stop letting SNCOs think they own the AF. They do not.

It should not be a war between the E's and the O's. You are the boss end of story. I am not saying be cocky.....

Cave

I'd run a quick grammar check on that one before the Nazis show up...

Guest CAVEMAN
Unless you're a O-6 (maybe certain O-5's) a Chief will ###### your world up if you tangle with them.

Seriously, what commander in his right mind will let an unruly Chief run over his staff officers.

He will only allow that if he is a fool. If you are in such a situation, bring it up to him. He will publicy back his chief but privately square things away.

Be the one that lets a Chief walk all over your balls. You might as well hand them over to him/her when you check-in your first day

If you are young Officer reading this; learn. They will try you out the first couple days/weeks/months and see what you are made of. If you act like you ain't got a spine, then it is on you. They know the ones they can try that sh!t with.

Soo much for the LT days. I guess everyone has to learn somehow.

While my time with the Army was very fortunately both temporary and somewhat brief, I did learn that an Army CSM is 9 out of 10 times a better leader, mentor, and asset than a USAF CMSgt. Boom's assertion is somewhat more correct if applied to a CSM, in that they generally speak directly for the battalion or brigade commanders. I've rarely met CMSgts that hold that kind of clout, credibility, or respect though.

"2"

Unless you're a O-6 (maybe certain O-5's) a Chief will ###### your world up if you tangle with them.

I am with Cleared Hot on this. I too have heard this for the last 20 years and have found it to be less than true. I had a tangle in with a Chief as a new Capt funny he did not ###### up my world!

Caveat: Be correct and be professional and you have no need to run scared.