Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

I like all the enthusiastic "go TIB Year XX!!" comments under that you tube vid. I'm surprised none of us have posted there.

I wonder how much the AF paid for that documentary.

The situation has been fixed... The comments on You Tube are now much more appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99SlWQiwxho&feature=response_watch

Link to "video response to untitled TIB documentary."

WTF is this guy doing? Is he trying to apply to TIB or show off to them or something?

Guest BUFF DRIVER

My new years resolution is to continue to fight the good fight against these no talent ass clowns , they are a joke

Is this a new Christopher Guest movie???

WTF is with the Financial manager at 1:56 in this piece of garbage wearing a bag????? :vomit: :vomit: UFB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flipoff:

Edited by capt4fans

Looks like there is a fight brewing at the you tube comment area for the tops in blue vid.

eckhardtc (16 hours ago)

TIB is why the USO Tours exist. To bring quality entertainment to the troops after being subjected to such douchebagginess. All those pictures of the fans smiling and laughing? Yeah, they're laughing at you and all your "faggotry". Nice one MrSensor!

MrSENSOR2 (1 day ago)

All you TIB people should be ashamed of yourselves. This is a worthless organization. The statements on this video like: "this will be the hardest work you ever do in your life" are so sad and prove that none of you know what real work is. We're fighting a war and you're prancing around the world wasting money and resources on embarassing the USAF with your faggotry. Choke yourselves, you disgust me.

Exactly which troops downrange would rather see TIB at a USO show instead of some real name entertainment?

People go to the TIB show because they're bored out of their f*cking skull and would rather do that than sit around their B hut. It certainly wouldn't be their #1 choice if there was any other competition.

• 1 month later...

TIB is pretty gay...then I saw the "Sea Chanters" ad on AFN...looks like the Navy is really trying to give the USAF gayness a run for its money.

Not to dispute anyone's comments on TIB, but I've got to give a huge "2" to this! I don't see AFN unless I'm deployed (which I currently am), so I managed to miss the Sea Chanters' infomercial until now.... Holy Shit! Two biggest cringe-inducing quotes:

"I like to think that our performances exemplify all of the technical expertise in the Navy, and all the Armed Forces!"

and

"This is a permanent duty station. We're here in Washington, DC, with each other for 10 years or more, so we become a family."

:vomit:

Edited by Jughead

Holy Shit! Two biggest cringe-inducing quotes:

"I like to think that our performances exemplify all of the technical expertise in the Navy, and all the Armed Forces!"

:vomit:

Who was it who said, "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool..."?

Based on the You Tube videos I just found when searching for Sea Chanters, I do have to say that they appear far less gay that TIB - no jazz hands, sequins, tight trousers, man makeup or glittery microphones in sight. Plus, they appear to actually embrace Navy heritage, which I think is a good thing (although I don't get why they are singing an 18th century English nursery rhyme in one clip).

Of course, they may have traded their starched uniforms for sequins and I just don't know it; and I still wouldn't go and see them myself, so it is all rather academic.

Linky

Support for Tops in Blue

Stars and Stripes

Letters to the Editor, Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I read “Time to retire Tops In Blue” (letter, Feb. 3) and was floored by the comments.

The Air Force is constantly changing, and it seems these days that all things old are being shelved as unnecessary. Is there no pride left in the Air Force?

The Tops In Blue program has survived the past 56 years because people value the program. You may not see the value in it now with the global issues that are at hand. However, I see it differently. In America, everywhere you turn, we are becoming a society that no longer values the human connection.

These days individuals would rather play on their Xbox, shell out $60 to go to the movies, or surf the Internet. Gone are the days when you would bring cookies to the new neighbors or rake the leaves for the elderly without thought. It’s the “me mentality.” What benefits “me”? It’s no longer what can benefit others.

There is not another program like Tops In Blue in the world and never will be.

The individuals who are members of this elite organization give every ounce of themselves for the benefit of others. They live and breathe the Air Force values and cherish the human connection.

The value you do not see is in the unspoken moments.

It’s getting a hug when you need it the most, the chance to cry with someone so they are not alone, the holding of a veteran’s hand, or giving courage to that weary soldier who doesn’t think he can survive another day.

Tops In Blue members cherish these special moments because it’s what makes their job special. It’s not the show that makes them unique. It’s what they do with their hearts; it’s for those unspoken moments. Moments that cannot be bought.

Tech. Sgt. Katie Badowski

former Tops in Blue staff member

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.

Isn't it funny how the only people who ever defend TIB are current/ex TIB members?

The Tops In Blue program has survived the past 56 years because people value the program. You may not see the value in it now with the global issues that are at hand. However, I see it differently.

In other words, she can't see past the little sequined world she built around herself. Flawless logic.

It’s the “me mentality.” What benefits “me”? It’s no longer what can benefit others.

And what is it that TIB does to benefit others? They prance around on stage in costumes under a spotlight? Oh, ok

There is not another program like Tops In Blue in the world and never will be.

I completely agree. No other service would dare stoop to that level of gay.

The individuals who are members of this elite organization

Kill yourself

former Tops in Blue staff member

In other words, she got cut in auditions and was offered a consolation staff job.

First rule, never post your TiB pics to your Facebook page. Gentlemen, I present one Katie Badowski...

KatieBadowski.jpg

How do I know it's her? Well, she's a "fan" of the "Tops In Blue 60th Anniversary Reunion 2013" :bash:

And before anyone else says it, I will..."I'd hit it!" :rock: But I've always had a thing for snooty, know-it-all but relatively cute babes! I always enjoyed the challenge of baggin' 'em!

Secondly, apparently she's a Beaver! :salut: Well, she claims to be an Oregon State alumni from 2008...anyone here know/recognize her? I know we have some current/former OSU'ers...

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

First rule, never post your TiB pics to your Facebook page. Gentlemen, I present one Katie Badowski...

KatieBadowski.jpg

How do I know it's her? Well, she's a "fan" of the "Tops In Blue 60th Anniversary Reunion 2013" :bash:

And before anyone else says it, I will..."I'd hit it!" :rock: But I've always had a thing for snooty, know-it-all but relatively cute babes! I always enjoyed the challenge of baggin' 'em!

Secondly, apparently she's a Beaver! :salut: Well, she claims to be an Oregon State alumni from 2008...anyone here know/recognize her? I know we have some current/former OSU'ers...

She's in Global, under the AFRC in Spokane. I briefly entertained thoughts of sending her a link to this thread, but I doubt a shoe could handle honest criticism. Lesson I learned from SOS...you gotta be careful how you "present" a dissenting viewpoint to a shoe. They tend to take things very personally.

KatieBadowski.jpg

I just want to know what song - or more specifically, what song that people deployed to combat would want to hear in order to unwind - could possibly require anyone to dress up like that. Surely, the fewer clothes the better insofar as combat detox is concerned?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fM34rIOb9_g

There was a good comment on the TIB you tube link a few days ago:

RainierWolfcastle2 (5 days ago) This is a personification of everything that is wrong with the Air Force. If you want to entertain troops downrange, send USO tour with a real band (one that civilians pay to see) and a bunch of cheerleaders. TIB makes me embarrassed to wear my uniform. "You won't survive TIB" Really? Tryouts are so tough that you will DIE? Get a life.

I just want to know what song - or more specifically, what song that people deployed to combat would want to hear in order to unwind - could possibly require anyone to dress up like that. Surely, the fewer clothes the better insofar as combat detox is concerned?

Honestly, to me that would make a good "start" outfit, kinda like "The Teacher" at Mons Venus in Tampa a while back (I think it was Mons Venus, I've been to so many strip joints over the years I can't recall for sure. Plus, I don't cloud my memories with such triviality as the location of the place, just the outstanding butts and boobs I saw!). However, towards the end of the show, I would expect her to be wearing much less... :rock:

• 3 weeks later...

All righty then...one more chance to sign up! Anyone..? Bueller..? I especially like the comment from Sean in Kansas.

Linky

3/1/2010 - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFNS) -- Air Force Services Agency officials here are still looking for Airmen to join the 2010 Tops In Blue team here.

The primary team for 2010 was recently announced and the team will spend 2.5 months at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, learning the music, completing their deployment requirements, and training on serving as ambassadors for the Air Force and U.S., but additional members are needed for the team.

The team will begin their 10-month tour in May. This year's theme is "We Believe."

"Tops In Blue is known for its music. In fact, it is one of the few touring shows that feature a full live band and this year is no exception," said Tom Edwards, the Air Force Entertainment chief. "We still need Airmen to fill the guitar, alto saxophone and trumpet positions to make the band complete."

Air Force active-duty, Guard, and Reserve members are eligible to apply.

For more information or to apply, contact Air Force Entertainment at 210-652-6566 or visit http://www.topsinblue.com.

Comments

3/2/2010 2:44:08 PM ET

I am not sure that Sean has the big picture. Sure we have two wars going on, numerous deployments exercises and so much more. All the more reason for having Tops In Blue. They are a tremendous group of young men and women representing not only the USAF but the country as a whole. They bring so much to our Warfighters by allowing them for just a few minutes to relax and lower their stress for the length of a show. They, along with the Thunderbirds, are the Ambassadors of our Air Force.

Bullet, Orlando FL

3/2/2010 2:12:43 PM ET

Someone needs to report Tops in Blue for what it is Fraud Waste and Abuse.Two wars plenty of humanitarian missions, everyone juggling ten extra duties yet somehow we have enough people to send them to be wanna-be American Idols Give me a break. Shut this program down.

Sean C, Kansas

Bullet: YAAFM.

No shit. Who doesn't have the "big picture"? I think it's the guy who thinks we're entertained by this pack of assholes. Yes, I had to go to acronymfinder.com for YAAFM, but I got it. Apparently IAAFM.

More info on the lack of Tops in Blue performers this year. About 50% of those that applied made it. I think I had a statistcally harder time making the roster on my 5th grade basketball team.

Tops in Blue picks 31 airmen, needs more

Staff report

Posted : Wednesday Mar 3, 2010 17:32:27 EST

Air Force Service Agency officials have picked 31 airmen to join the elite musical team Tops in Blue for 2010, but they’re still in need of talented airmen who can play the guitar, alto saxophone and trumpet.

Seventy-four Air Force singers, dancers and musicians competed for Tops in Blue spots over nine days in January at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.

The 31 selected will spend 2 ½ months training at Lackland, then hit the road in May for a 10-month tour that includes more than 120 shows in more than 20 countries.

For tour schedules, details on how to join Tops in Blue and other information, contact Air Force Entertainment at 210-652-6566 or visit www.topsinblue.com.

More info on the lack of Tops in Blue performers this year. About 50% of those that applied made it. I think I had a statistcally harder time making the roster on my 5th grade basketball team.

Tops in Blue picks 31 airmen, needs more

Staff report

Posted : Wednesday Mar 3, 2010 17:32:27 EST

Air Force Service Agency officials have picked 31 airmen to join the elite musical team Tops in Blue for 2010, but they’re still in need of talented airmen who can play the guitar, alto saxophone and trumpet.

Seventy-four Air Force singers, dancers and musicians competed for Tops in Blue spots over nine days in January at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.

The 31 selected will spend 2 ½ months training at Lackland, then hit the road in May for a 10-month tour that includes more than 120 shows in more than 20 countries.

For tour schedules, details on how to join Tops in Blue and other information, contact Air Force Entertainment at 210-652-6566 or visit www.topsinblue.com.

Is it because these guys were making the Kenny Loggins wannabes a better offer ?

http://www.usafband.af.mil/ensembles/BandEnsembleBio.asp?EnsembleID=61

MAX IMPACT

The United States Air Force Band is proud to have an exciting new performing unit in its musical arsenal-the group is known as Max Impact. Armed with four of the Air Force's most dynamic vocalists and supported by a hard-hitting five-piece rhythm section, this high-energy band has everything needed to ignite a party and keep the flame burning for hours. Max Impact promises to charge up today's Airmen, wherever they're serving, across the nation and around the world.

Key to Max Impact's mission success is its ability to entertain the young as well as the young at heart. Max Impact fuses the elements of contemporary music from today's hip-hop, pop and urban sounds-and everything in between. Max Impact brings together the musical styles of today's top artists like Destiny's Child, Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera. Original Max Impact songs are also regularly featured as the band strives to fire up Airmen with pride in service and a renewed commitment to excellence.

Max Impact answers the call to motivate and inspire the newest generation of professional Airmen. To achieve maximum results Max Impact stays on the leading edge of the ever-changing pop music scene while projecting the highest standards of Air Force professionalism. Optimal delivery is the name of Max Impact's game when it comes to serving its audience. With innovative style and boundless energy, Max Impact commands the stage encouraging every Airman to embrace the spirit and join the fun.

Another of the great debates of our time : F-22 versus Flanker; Coke or Pepsi, Tops in Blue or Max Impact....actually the more I think of it the more that last one's more like 'Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Boxer, who'd ya do first ?'