Gun Talk

VL-16

On 12/23/2015 at 9:13 PM, HU&W said:

Does anyone have experience with these type of holster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hcS5hpMCM

Fucking ridiculous. It's an adaptation of the Pager Pal, which was a huge piece of shit.  It won't allow you to draw in many situations, and is remarkably tough to sit down wearing one.  Plus, you have to keep your belt so loose for it to work that your pants won't stay up.  Then you end up looking like some loser gang-banger wannabe!

And the chance that your pistol goes flying through the air while you're trying to draw it is quite good! :bash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ywu6rIXXy4

Save yourself from ass pain and get a real holster, not that gimmicky crap.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, M2 said:

Fucking ridiculous. It's an adaptation of the Pager Pal, which was a huge piece of shit.  It won't allow you to draw in many situations, and is remarkably tough to sit down wearing one.  Plus, you have to keep your belt so loose for it to work that your pants won't stay up.  Then you end up looking like some loser gang-banger wannabe!

And the chance that your pistol goes flying through the air while you're trying to draw it is quite good! :bash:

Exactly what I was looking for.  Thx M2.  I'll stick with my crossbreed.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, M2 said:

I laughed out loud, the thumbs up is the best part.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Lawman said:

I seriously doubt it.  If Paul Ryan and the GOP are smart (which often times they are not), this won't even make it to a vote, much less ever have a chance of passing in the House.  As for this bill itself--I thought progressives just wanted background checks? 

I seriously doubt it.  If Paul Ryan and the GOP are smart (which often times they are not), this won't even make it to a vote, much less ever have a chance of passing in the House.  As for this bill itself--I thought progressives just wanted background checks? 

Oh I don't think it'll go anywhere but just like last time it'll set off some price bumping of full capacity mags and rifles I'm sure.

I remember seeing Pmags as high as 50 bucks last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/23/2015 at 5:08 AM, hispeed7721 said:

I've been carrying with a Crossbreed Supertuck for 5+ years and it's the highest quality and most comfortable IWB holster I've come across.

+3 on the Crossbreed, been using mine for 3+ years, high quality and once broke in, it fits like a glove. Best part is a solid company to back their warranty and lifetime guarantee, not one of those "here today, out of business or name change next week" companies.

Heads up for those that concealed carry my home state of Virginia has unfortunately fallen victim to the anti-gun idiots that were elected last time around. :flipoff: The AG has revoked reciprocity with 25 states because their requirements to obtain a CCW weren't strict enough (among other things). Which is utter bullshit because all VA requires to obtain a CCW is an online class and a background check. :bash:

-http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/12/22/virginia-to-end-recognizing-concealed-carry-gun-permits-from-25-states.html

7 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Heads up for those that concealed carry my home state of Virginia has unfortunately fallen victim to the anti-gun idiots that were elected last time around. :flipoff: The AG has revoked reciprocity with 25 states because their requirements to obtain a CCW weren't strict enough (among other things). Which is utter bullshit because all VA requires to obtain a CCW is an online class and a background check. :bash:

-http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/12/22/virginia-to-end-recognizing-concealed-carry-gun-permits-from-25-states.html

That's what happens when their state residents elect progressive politicians. 

For those of us in the Lone Star State, just a reminder that in a few days (1 Jan) open carry will be legal here.  So even if you're not a "gun guy" (although how someone could live in Texas and not be is beyond me!), please let your friends and family here know about the new law and to not be alarmed if they happen to see someone carrying one.

open-carry.jpg

However, it is still against the law to display a firearm "in a manner calculated to alarm" under Chapter 42 of the Texas Penal Code, Disorderly Conduct.

Cheers!  M2

2 hours ago, ATIS said:

Assume she is carrying Condition 2, Condition 3 at a minimum.

Cheers

ATIS

Yep, the hammer is down.  Why not Condition 1 is beyond me. 

Condition Two is problematic for several reasons, and is the source of more negligent discharges than the other conditions.  When you rack the slide to chamber a round in the 1911, the hammer is cocked and the manual safety is off. There is no way to avoid this with the 1911 design. In order to lower the hammer, the trigger must be pulled and the hammer lowered slowly with the thumb onto the firing pin, the end of which is only a few millimeters away from the primer of a live round. Should the thumb slip, the hammer would drop and fire the gun. Not only would a round be launched in circumstances which would be at best embarrassing and possibly tragic, but also the thumb would be behind the slide as it cycled, resulting in serious injury to the hand. A second problem with this condition is that the true 1911A1 does not have a firing pin block and an impact on the hammer which is resting on the firing pin could conceivably cause the gun to go off, although actual instances of this are virtually nonexistent. Finally, in order to fire the gun, the hammer must be manually cocked, again with the thumb. In an emergency situation, this adds another opportunity for something to go wrong and slows the acquisition of the sight picture. 

Condition Three adds a degree of “insurance” against an accidental discharge since there is no round in the chamber. To bring the gun into action from the holster, the pistol must be drawn and the slide racked as the pistol is brought to bear on the target. This draw is usually called “the Israeli draw” since it was taught by Israeli security and defense forces. Some of the real expert trainers can do an Israeli draw faster than most of us can do a simple draw, but for most of us, the Israeli draw adds a degree of complexity, an extra step, and an opening for mistakes in the process of getting the front sight onto the target.

(To save on typing, the above was copied from: http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm, a great resource for that pistol!)

Still, one of the biggest benefits for OC will be that those 1911s people have been hiding for years will now finally see the light of day!

As for Texas' slow progression, I can only attest that to the large number of Californians moving here keeping the liberal bias against firearms alive.  A few retailers such as HEB (a grocery store chain in the Lone Star State), Whole Foods (a hippie store) and the Galleria Houston mall (a 90210/Kardashian hangout) have already put up 30.07 signs prohibiting open carry in their stores.  Once 1 January rolls around, I suspect we'll see a few more; as Moms Demand Action has been very active in compelling businesses that allowing OC in their establishments will have a negative effect on their customers.  Once the initial excitement blows over, I doubt you'll see much OC'ing in urban areas; most likely it will be more common out in the Texas Hill Country and West Texas.

Cheers!  M2

Errr, moving on...

Smith & Wesson SW99 in .45acp

300px-Sw99_small.jpg

note: not my photo or pistol

In the very late 1990s and early 2000s, S&W and Walther entered into a partnership where S&W marketed Walther's stuff in the U.S as well as manufactured some components/assembled them in the U.S.  One such example is the S&W/Walther PPK/S which is still in production.

Another venture which didn't do so well was S&W's version of the Walther P99.  I have the Walther P99AS in 9mm and it is probably my favorite handgun.  I wrote about it much earlier in this thread.

This report, however, is about the S&W SW99 in .45acp.  In the now dissolved arrangement, Walther built the frames and S&W built the barrel and slide.  In kind of a Frankenstein build, the lower is marked "Walther," and "Made in Germany," while the slide has "Smith & Wesson" and "Springfield, MA."

Compared to the P99, this is a much larger pistol.  About 1/2 longer (which fits since the .45 has a 4 1/2 barrel compared to the P99's 4.0") and nearly an inch taller.  The grip on this thing is huge, relatively speaking.  It is considered a duty weapon and a couple of smaller U.S. police departments have carried it.  Numerous German/Euro police and military carry the 9mm P99 (as did James Bond for several movies).

The closest thing I have to it in function and size is my M&P .45 which S&W moved to nearly as soon as they started producing this.  The M&P is 1/2 longer counting the beavertail but 1/2 shorter in the grip.  One thing about the grip - both this and the original P99 have the best ergonomic grips - including the then-new adjustable backstraps - of any pistol, including the 1911, that I've ever shot.  They just are comfortable and fit the hand well.  I didn't weigh the M&P compared to this, but this feels distinctly heavier and it shows when shooting.  It snaps up less than the M&P.

This is a DA/SA semi-auto, with a single stack of 9 rounds + 1 in the chamber.  So no gain compared to the M&P and less than some newer competitors.  But 10 rounds of .45 is still a lot of 'bang' to go 'round.

The trigger is nothing to write home about, but that might be due to I haven't broken it in yet.  I bought it as new old stock and have thus far only put 150 rounds through it.

Of those 150, I had to two failures to feed.  Both were from a Winchester white box.  I had no issues with Federal and Remington ammo.

The magazine release is the Euro-style bottom of the trigger guard and not a button.  No big whoop, but different.  Slides drop cleanly every time.  BTW, it will fire with the magazine out.

It has a rail up front for those that want it.  It comes with three backstraps, three front sights, and two magazines.

Summary:  a good .45 that looks pretty cool.  Too big, for me anyway, to carry concealed but would make a helluva statement for open carry (Go Texas!).  No regrets in buying it - it will look good in the gun case displayed opposite the P99 - and will be a regular shooter, but in hindsight, I wouldn't have been worse off if I hadn't purchased it.  But it did make my collection an even number now so that worry is off my mind.

Until, of course, I get something else and the count is an odd number...which simply must be evened out.  (My wife isn't enamored by my logic, but what the hell...)

So I'm always intrigued by the new innovations in the world of firearms, and this is the latest one to somewhat peak my interest.  Apparently Franklin Armory has developed a trigger for the AR-15 that will also fire a round when the trigger is released.  

Here are two videos (second one is somewhat cheesy) from their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijOcT1u5eJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAhsoTJ6ps

Check out Military Arms Channel on Facebook, they hope to have one reviewed in the very near future.

Apparently it's been done before, copying off a paintball guns set-up.  There's a debate as to whether it is worth the money/trouble. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

Craig Spegel custom grips.

Took nearly 18 months to get them made and they aren't cheap.

They don't make the gun shoot any better.

They are works of art.

Yet you don't post a single pic. Tsk tsk, my friend.

For those who are wondering what Brick is talking about, go here: http://www.craigspegel.com/#grips

16 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Craig Spegel custom grips.

Took nearly 18 months to get them made and they aren't cheap.

1.5 years to have grips made?  I would have forgot I ordered them.

• Upvote 2