Gun Talk

VL-16

They are required to keep it for a long time - exact time I forget, but it's in the many years, 10-20.

There is a defacto gun registration already existing, fortunately the ATFE had been largely ineffective in doing their basic job of inspecting licensed FFLs.

Too busy walking guns along the border and in Wisconsin.

Sure wish I'd "found" that full-auto they lost from an unlocked car. YGTBSM...

That's what I thought. How do we sell a gun and get it "off" the "defacto registry?"

I've got a couple guns I'd like to sell, but I'm the one on the paperwork and wonder where they'll end up...

That's what I thought. How do we sell a gun and get it "off" the "defacto registry?"

I've got a couple guns I'd like to sell, but I'm the one on the paperwork and wonder where they'll end up...

The buyer gives you money. You give them the gun. The end.

Edited by Beaver
  • Upvote 1

My personal technique is selling with FFL assistance. Meet the buyer at the gun shop. Include the FFL transfer fee in the price. The FFL records the transaction and provides you receipt of transfer for your records.

Edited by HU&W

My personal technique is selling with FFL assistance. Meet the buyer at the gun shop. Include the FFL transfer fee in the price. The FFL records the transaction and provides you receipt of transfer for your records.

Not sure if sarcasm detector inop or you just like wasting time and money.

Consignment. Thanks--that might just be the answer...but Beaver's one-line command of the obvious is still noteworthy.

So basically you're voluntarily going to do what the big fight in the Senate was all about...don't get me wrong, it's definitely your call. I just don't know why you feel you 'should' sell a firearm this way, ie through an FFL? You can always just ask the person if they are a felon or if there is any reason why they shouldn't own a firearm (ie according to State and Fed laws), and if they answer that they are good, then you sell them the gun. And before the morons on here say something like 'a felon will never say he's a felon'...BS--some will, some will not. My brother years ago was about to sell a stranger a firearm and right before he did, he asked the guy if he was a felon, at which the point the guy answered 'yes'. So then my brother told him he couldn't sell him the firearm...though he then asked the guy if his wife (who was there with him) was a felon, and since she said no, he sold the gun to her :bash:

I'm not saying you should sell your gun to a guy who looks like he just broke out of prison and can't speak any English...but I'm sure you can use your own discretion. Unless you support the recent failed legislation...

So really what you're saying is, "I'm cool with registration as long as it's not registered to me." Go through an FFL and get the government's permission to allow you to exercise your rights. That way your ass will be covered.

You were in the Navy too?

'too'?...as in you were in the navy along with me? Nah...but you and I did dress up in those navy uniforms a couple halloweens ago, remember? Oh that's right, I roofied you right before we went out.

Haha--this is what you get for mentioning 'ass' several times. I thought you fighter guys were more careful about that!

Ok, fun's over--back to the guns.

'too'?...as in you were in the navy along with me? Nah...but you and I did dress up in those navy uniforms a couple halloweens ago, remember? Oh that's right, I roofied you right before we went out.

Haha--this is what you get for mentioning 'ass' several times. I thought you fighter guys were more careful about that!

Ok, fun's over--back to the guns.

What CYA are you accomplishing? You can create a bill of sale on your own and CYA with 69% less asspain.

One of them was just worried about selling to someone who isn't legally allowed to own a gun, I guess. I think it's so they will sleep better at night, to be honest. I don't worry about it because I don't sell my guns...just buy more!

And it just got a whole lot of gay up in here! Must talk guns...Considering picking up my first Glock soon. Have never been a fan, but I do like the looks of the compact gen4. Thinking of the 32, have wanted a .357 sig for a while.

Edited by SocialD

Anybody know what dealers do with your paperwork? Keep it? Send it to ATF? Shred after 90 days?

Keep it for a long time - like brick said - and I think they can dispose of it if they give up their FFL.

Shortish story about the defacto registration:

Lived in Del Rio as an instructor for 3 years - ended up leaving in late 2008. While there I bought AKs and ARs plus an FN PS90. When I PCSd my FFL calls me and tells me the ATF inspected him as part of the "we're sending guns to Mexico" movement in the late-08 / early-09 timeframe. He said the ATF was going to every FFL on the border and looking through their bound books. His impression was the ATF was looking for those with multiple purchases of ARs, AKs, 5.7 chambered rifles, etc. I had bought a ton of AK kits so I bought matching receivers and I had started building ARs from parts - I must have had double digit purchase in his books. My multiple purchases flagged me and I ended up speaking with an ATF agent about it. They asked me if I still had the rifles and I still had the majority of them - I sold a few ARs to my buddies in the squadron to which they said I couldn't sell at a profit or I would be considered a dealer (WTF?). They wondered why I needed so many AK receivers - I told them I was a collector and they let it be. The funny thing is I also bought NFA items during this time so the ATF had ALL my info and knew exactly when and where I went.

So... yeah, there is a defacto registration. There were a couple articles about how the ATF traces firearms in crimes recently. They start with the manufacturer, go to the distributor, then the shop or dealer it was sold to, then through the shop/dealer's log book to you. Then they ask you where the gun went.

One of them was just worried about selling to someone who isn't legally allowed to own a gun, I guess. I think it's so they will sleep better at night, to be honest. I don't worry about it because I don't sell my guns...just buy more!

And it just got a whole lot of gay up in here! Must talk guns...Considering picking up my first Glock soon. Have never been a fan, but I do like the looks of the compact gen4. Thinking of the 32, have wanted a .357 sig for a while.

I have a Glock 33. It's not my favorite, but it's a decent weapon.

I'm with you though, I could never bring myself to sell my guns.

So... yeah, there is a defacto registration. There were a couple articles about how the ATF traces firearms in crimes recently. They start with the manufacturer, go to the distributor, then the shop or dealer it was sold to, then through the shop/dealer's log book to you. Then they ask you where the gun went.

...and I tell them I sold it via a private sale. In Texas, there is no need to document that transaction.

Or I lost it in the big boating accident of 2013!

And such efforts by the ATF usually only happens in a few Federal cases, for the most part that organization doesn't run traces for municipal or even state agencies. Those departments have to solve their crimes the old fashion way...with real police work!

• Upvote 1

So I went in to my local gun shop to pick up my stripped lower I ordered from PSA and ended up leaving with this beauty, Mosin M44 carbine. Apparently they had just thrown it on their racks so I had some awesome timing.

de2wrd.jpg

I love shooting my mosin-nagant, I was lucky to find a pre-WWII one in excellent condition a couple years ago.

You 'love' shooting the Mosin?? I guess I need to get to the gym more often.

I only shoot my Mosin after watching Enemy at the Gates. I will agree, though, the fun lasts for a few hours but the bruises last for days.

• Upvote 2

So I went in to my local gun shop to pick up my stripped lower I ordered from PSA and ended up leaving with this beauty, Mosin M44 carbine. Apparently they had just thrown it on their racks so I had some awesome timing.

de2wrd.jpg

Tula or Izhevsk?

The carbines are more fun to shoot than the 91/30s!