Gun Talk

VL-16

Looking at adding a .40 to my collection, specifically either a Sig P229 or a USP .40. Anyone have any recent experience with these two? Also looking at the Glock 22 and the XD if anyone has recent input on those.

I searched through the thread and found good info, just looking for something recent, and if anyone has a direct comparison of the Sig and USP.

Thanks

Sledy

The Glock or XD would be a good, less expensive choice; but all are great guns. For those two, you'll have to determine which feels better to you; the XD has a 1911-like grip angle whereas the Glock requires some bending of the wrist. I was a big Glock fan until I held a XD nearly seven years ago, at which point I much prefer it.

Any reason you're stuck on .40 caliber? I've shot 'em and honestly have yet to figure out why they are such a popular choice with law enforcement agencies. I know they're derived from the 10mm the FBI thought was the answer after the 1986 Miami shootout where two Special Agent were killed and five injured in a confrontation with two serial bank robbers (who were also killed). Since the 10mm proved too hot a load for many officers, the .40 S&W was developed; but for me it incorporates the snappiness of a 9mm with nominal energy advantage. Plus a later FBI study showed that all factors (shot placement, etc) being equal, the advantage will always go to a larger round that creates the greatest wounding effect.

Obviously it's personal choice, but I would like to hear your reasons if you're willing to share them. It's no biggie, I just don't own any .40 pistols and while I have shot them, I just have never understood their appeal.

Cheers! M2

I'm with M2 on the .40 argument. No practical upside compared to 9mm with several drawbacks. I think a lot of people shoot .40 based on ego and hearsay wrt 9mm effectiveness. Just my opinion, though.

For you AR guys Palmetto State Armory is selling D&H mags for $90/10. Get 'em while you still can. I'd stock up on pistol mags as well.

Mag capacity and online ammo sales seem like pretty easy targets for legislation. Meaningful, common sense changes, know what I mean?

• Upvote 1

I'm with M2 on the .40 argument. No practical upside compared to 9mm with several drawbacks. I think a lot of people shoot .40 based on ego and hearsay wrt 9mm effectiveness. Just my opinion, though.

For you AR guys Palmetto State Armory is selling D&H mags for $90/10. Get 'em while you still can. I'd stock up on pistol mags as well.

Mag capacity and online ammo sales seem like pretty easy targets for legislation. Meaningful, common sense changes, know what I mean?

Amen to this..

The wife and I have 3 handguns, a Glock 21 that I carry, a Glock 19 she uses for a nightstand gun, and a S&W M&P shield that she carries. Unfortunately we are PCSing to Hawaii soon, this means I have to leave behind my oh so scary 13 round magazines for our Glocks. Those three extra rounds make it high capacity in Hawaii...

The Glock or XD would be a good, less expensive choice; but all are great guns. For those two, you'll have to determine which feels better to you; the XD has a 1911-like grip angle whereas the Glock requires some bending of the wrist. I was a big Glock fan until I held a XD nearly seven years ago, at which point I much prefer it.

2. I bought my XD40 at about the same time for exactly the same reasons (before the .45 version was available & never felt compelled to trade up once it was). Grip angle is what sold me, it just felt more comfortable to shoot than the Glock.

Looking at adding a .40 to my collection, specifically either a Sig P229 or a USP .40. Anyone have any recent experience with these two? Also looking at the Glock 22 and the XD if anyone has recent input on those.

I searched through the thread and found good info, just looking for something recent, and if anyone has a direct comparison of the Sig and USP.

Thanks

Sledy

You should check out the HK compact .40 if you're looking to concealed carry. I haven't shot a Glock but a lot of people swear by them... They make some tiny .45s, I don't remember the model. Sig is nice too, but I don't own one.

I have a HK .45 (MK23) which has not once jammed on me and although it's a little large has been by far my favorite handgun I have shot. I don't think you can go wrong with HK. But that's just my two cents. I would find someone in your unit that has something you're interested in and go shoot it before you buy..

Thanks for all the input. I have a Kimber 1911 Polymer Stainless Gold Match with the double stack mag that I've been using for a nightstand gun and pretty much everything else. I'm looking for something a bit smaller, cheaper to shoot, and better for a concealed carry option as it's just a bit too big. Since I already have a .45 I was looking for something a bit smaller, but I'm not a fan of the 9mm due to perceived poor ballastics. (My only real experience is the M9 and XDM of a friend of mines--XDM kicks ass) I did a bit more research this morning on the 9mm and .40 and have to agree with the above posts about the ballistics between the two or lack of. However, I can't seem to get the desire to buy a .40 over a 9mm out of my nugget for whatever reason.

I'm headed in to shoot on Monday a balance of 9mm and .40, thanks again for the input.

Sledy

Thanks

Sledy

I have an HK USP .40 Compact which I really like. I originally looked at the Sig P229 as well, but the decocking level was difficult for me to actuate with one hand (not that that is something you are doing at the time, but...). I added an Hogue Handall grip, which made it a little more comfortable to handle.

As far as shooting, it shoots about as well as any other handgun I have ever shot. I have only put a couple thousand rounds through it, but never even a hiccup. Definitely can't go wrong with an HK on performance and reliability aspects.

Someone else mentioned the trigger. I do find the trigger pull to be quite long on the first double action pull, but you get used to it. If I shot more and was really worried about it, I would shorten it. Otherwise, it is a very consistent, even trigger. Single action is just right.

I do like that the HK has a manual safety. I don't conceal carry with it on, but like to have the option to put the safety on when not carrying (I know, it's not going to fire unless you pull the trigger). This can give you another option if you wanted to carry it cocked and locked, as well. Just gives you more options.

I can't see the new Feinstein bill actually passing the house....right? I'm sure there are at least a few Dem senators who know they would be fired in a heartbeat if they vote for this too. I'm definitely stocking up on mags though.

I'm also seriously considering buying a Dillon reloader(my wife has a friend that works there who can get me a brand new setup 40% off). I'm curious from any of you who do your own reloading, how expensive does 556/223 ammo end up being?

I'm a .40 guy--the research I've read throughout the years makes me a fan of the caliber. I have 2 Glock 22's and an MP40c. The Glocks are great firearms of course, however, I'm more of a fan of the S&W MP series--they just feel a little better in the hand and I like the trigger better. Either way, as a military member, you can get both the Glock and MP's at a significantly reduced price via law enforcement dealers.

As for the new gun legislation, it won't go anywhere anytime soon. I doubt the GOP House would even let the leglislation come to a vote (unless it was some random amendment attached to an unrelated bill). As for the Senate, I doubt they could even get much of any new legislation passed--Dem Senators from WV, MT, ND, SD, AK, AR (among others) would likely vote no on most legislation limiting ammo sales, magazine capacities, 'AWB', etc. That being said, I hope they allow something to come to a vote in both houses--like many other Americans, I want folks on the record of whether they want to limit and 'infringe' on Constitutional Rights or not. It's easy for politicians of the most anti-gun states to scream for more gun-control, but will the rank and file in their party support it?

The shame is that the election results scare was somewhat beginning to subside and then this happens, most likely causing a spike in demand once again. Lesson that needs to be learned--if you support and enjoy your gun rights, you should always be purchasing ammo, mags, and firearms.

Feinstein says she will introduce assault weapons ban at start of next Congress.

Of course she will, it's how she keeps her idiot constituents happy.

Gun sales have been on the rise for a while, just before the election (October) the number of background checks on people applying to buy guns--considered an indicator of future sales--increased by 18.4%, and it's not all about the threat of an assault weapons ban because a large number of those sales are for handguns which would be unaffected by it.

In truth, it's incidents like what happened in Newtown that cause people to realize they cannot depend on others for their own safety, causing them to seek other means to protect themselves, their families and their property. Despite what morons like Feinstein think, the majority of Americans do believe in the Second Amendment and understand that more restrictions will not prevent a similar incident from happening again. If anything, the argument that MORE armed citizens might be a greater deterrent is lost on them as they don't understand that had an armed citizen been present at the school, the number of victims may have been reduced.

Bt that is the problem with our government, after such events they punish law-abiding citizens and give criminals even more opportunity to kill.

Her face is an assault weapon, let's ban that!*

Cheers! M2

* - Yeah, that's immature, I know; but such rationale that depriving law-abiding citizens the right to defend themselves irritates me to no end. California has some of the strictest laws in the country, but in 2010 it had the highest number of gun murders - 1,257, which is 69% (no, I did not make up that percentage) of all murders that year and equivalent to 3.37 per 100,000 people in the state. Even in her own state, Feinstein can't figure out that idiotic legislation is not doing anything about the problem!

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Sledy

Got a Ruger SR40C, and love it, great for concealed carry. I've put a couple hundred rounds through it and never had a problem.

I'm curious from any of you who do your own reloading, how expensive does 556/223 ammo end up being?

Well, who knows what the price of components is going to be in the future, but I've been reloading .223 for about $0.20/round....I can see it getting more expensive than that soon, though.

What press are you using? I currently use a single stage RCBS press which works just fine for 308 in my bolt action rifle, but I'd like to step up my game for my pistol cartridges. I'm reloading them with the single stage press, but it's starting to become a bit of a pain in the ass.

Well, it WAS until I PCSd to the UK, but I'd like to have something lined up when I move back to the Land of the Free.

For anyone out there considering carrying a handgun please do us all a favor and a) get some professional instruction and b) for God's sake please shoot more than 200 rounds through your carry gun before toting in around in public.

For anyone out there considering carrying a handgun please do us all a favor and a) get some professional instruction and b) for God's sake please shoot more than 200 rounds through your carry gun before toting in around in public.

Reason for posting this? Or just a friendly safety reminder...like, "Don't forget to wear your seatbelt next time you drive"?

• Upvote 2

He's probably referring to gun noobs who feel they need to hurry up and buy a gun and tote it around so they can intervene in a massacre.

On Friday night, wife and I couldn't take any more of the news, so we went to take in a flick and do some Angel Tree toy shopping at Wally World. I took my standard path through the Friday night freakshow straight to the sporting goods section to see what ammo is in stock. I always do. That night, there was about 15 people standing around the gun counter. I see some loudmouth asshole flailing his arms and talking about he needs to "get one while the gettin's good","These ain't gonna be around long","Obama this and that". The guy behind the counter has an AR out of the case and is on the phone doing the background check. He hangs up the phone and tries to quietly tell the guy he was denied and he should try back in a month or so. "A FUCKING MONTH?!? I ain't been arrested in like, forever! What do you mean "a month?" Call 'em back, let me talk to 'em, this is bullshit!" etc, etc, etc. Everyone is standing around giving nervous glances and likely wondering if he's going to hop the counter and go for the AR. I decide to leave.

Saw similar events play out at recent gun shows as well. All this gun control talk has people freaking, as if it weren't bad enough already with Obama's re-election. I am just glad that some of us had the foresight to prepare in advance!

Cheers! M2

I hate to say it and I know it will sound bad... Too many kids got killed for nothing to happen after this. 1989 Stockton school yard massacre - you immediately got Bush I to sign an executive order banning imported rifles and ammo. No more $200 AKs and $50 cases of Chinese ammo. The anti-gun crowd will be able to trot out the pictures of 20 six and seven year olds and shame politicians into voting for their new legislation.

The situation is a bit different now - there is a much larger "assault weapon" owning block out there now than there was in 1989 or even 1994 before the Brady Bill. I highly doubt any legislation is going to make us all felons overnight in regard to having/owning assault weapons but it could happen. Outright confiscation - highly unlikely. But something is going to happen so all our precious politicians can say they did something to help the problem the next time they come up for reelection.

Here's how I'm going to attempt to stop the errosion of my liberties.

1) Renew my NRA membership (I might even sign up some of my liberal anti-gun friends as well - gives the NRA money, makes anti-gun friends furious - win/win in my book).

2) Take non-gun people to the range. Show them the experience is fun and safe. Prove to them having an "assault weapon" in your hand doesn't instantly make you a psychopath...

3) Write my two Senators and one Representative reminding them this is an important issue to me and to vote in favor of idiot gun laws means I will not vote for them and in the next election my meager contributions will go to their challenger.

BF

• Upvote 1

I am just glad that some of us had the foresight to prepare in advance!

Is there such a thing as preparation not in advance?

The thing about durable goods like firearms and ammo is that they're pretty much timeless (ammunition shelf life is longer than most of our lifetimes) and prices generally only increase over time.

Thus, if one sees a need for either in the future and isn't buying them now, then you are throwing money away.

• Upvote 1

The thing about durable goods like firearms and ammo is that they're pretty much timeless (ammunition shelf life is longer than most of our lifetimes) and prices generally only increase over time.

Not when inflation is figured in... and if it does increase in price it's because of government intervening in its market causing artificial price increases.

For example, in 1989 the Ruger SP101 cost $495. Today it sells for $639.

Adjust for inflation and the 1989 model would run you $884 in 2012 dollars.

Not when inflation is figured in... and if it does increase in price it's because of government intervening in its market causing artificial price increases.

For example, in 1989 the Ruger SP101 cost $495. Today it sells for $639.

Adjust for inflation and the 1989 model would run you $884 in 2012 dollars.

Yeah but that's 23 years you could have spent shooting it!

• Upvote 3