Gun Talk

VL-16

I don't care how legal it is, it's a very stupid thing to do! All it is doing is fueling the Brady Bunch to scream even louder how gun laws are endangering us all! If you want to make a political point, write something witty on a placard and hold it up for all to see. This bozo has done us more harm than good...I have yet to see any positive press coverage concerning this.

So, did you see the guy carrying an AR-15 to the political rally in Arizona. It's perfectly legal, but I don't think it's too smart. It seems like you'll just give the anti-gun crowd something to rally around.

CNN Story

CNN Video

Seems as if this guy was a plant for the Libertarian party opposing taxes.

Story from AZCentral.com

Anyone know if Nightforce or US Optics or S&B give a mil discount on their optics like Leupold does?

edit: How'd I end up with only 1 post? I haven't been on in a long time - I guess my previous posts went away.

Edited by nunya

Guest Unconfirmed Source

Hey guys,

I am looking for somewhere to go do some shooting in the North Dallas area that is not an actual range, is there somewhere around here like a gravel pit or backstopped field that people can/do go shoot at? I have done some work to a couple weapons and I don't want to be limited with the 3 seconds between shots rules when I check the functionality of them.

Thanks for the replies,

PM If you prefer.

What was a disappointment was the Kel-Tec P3AT I bought, that damn thing couldn't hit the broad side of a bard at 7 yards! I let my bud shoot it and he had the same result. I don't know why it is such a lousy shooter, maybe I need to bench shoot it to get a better idea of where it really shoots; but for a BUG it is almost useless other than scaring the BG. Most likely it won't be in my possession too much longer, I could sell it for a profit since I got it pretty cheap.

Cheers! M2

Well, I found out how to improve the accuracy of the P3AT I got...trade it for a Taurus PT111!

taurus_pt111.jpg

It's a 3rd gen and looks like the above. It probably has a 200-300 rounds down it, and is in pretty good shape both inside and out. It needs to be cleaned a little but I am gonna shoot it first. It is a lot bigger than the Kel-Tec, and I am still not sure if I am a fan of the 9mm (I never really have been) but I am willing to give this gun a chance. If I like it, I'll keep it; and if I don't I will see if the wife like it and then I will pawn it off on her and buy myself something else. If we both don't like it, I will trade it for an XD-40SC or something...

Stay tuned for a range report, most likely later this week but Saturday at the latest.

Cheers! M2

M2,

Did you trade for it or buy it? I looked at one of these a while back but never shot it.

Even trade, which I think I got the better end of but I am noticing that one of the magazines has the slightest bend/dent in the top of the lip keeping the rounds from feeding smoothly. I am trying to figure out if I can fix it or just find another mag (I got two).

It's no XD, but for the price (I got a great deal on the P3AT, so an even better deal for me), it's seems to be a decent compact.

Cheers! M2

Well, I now know I did get the much better deal! I shot about 50-60 rounds through the PT111 this afternoon and it is very accurate. Honestly, my bias against 9mm has dramatically decreased; I think it had a lot to do with that piece of shit Beretta 92F (M9). Regardless, the Taurus was flawless for me (I had a bud and his family out there who also shot it, they had a few problems but I think that was due to limp wristing the weapon when shooting). I had no problems whatsoever, and the only drawback I found was that I forgot it was a compact and gave myself a nasty pinch doing a quick reload exercise.

Overall, I am very happy with the deal I got, the Kel-Tec P3AT wasn't a fun gun to shoot and I couldn't get accurate with it. Such small guns require a different technique that I haven't bothered to learn, I know some people can master them but personally I would rather have a larger weapon. The PT111 fits that bill nicely and whereas it isn't nearly as concealable as the Kel-Tec but I wasn't really looking for that as much as I was something both the wife and I could use.

Cheers! M2

Pics of my AR-15 pistol that I said I would put up a while ago. The discoloration on the left side of the upper is from oil seeping out. I had it in storage for a little bit while I was still in the BOQ on Randolph.

LMT 10.5" upper receiver

BCM BCG

Anvil Arms stripped lower receiver

RRA LPK

ACE receiver extenstion

Spike's Tactical ST-T2 buffer

Troy single point sling

Well, it's been since....errr....Monday that I got a new gun, so today I went and picked up a companion for my "bubba-ized" Yugo SKS...

th_IMG_1834.jpg th_IMG_1835.jpg th_IMG_1836.jpg th_IMG_1837.jpg

This is another Yugo SKS with all matching numbers (to include the stock) and in pristine condition. It has no import markings and it doesn't appear to have been refurbished or anything. I have a nice supply of stripper clips already (they came with bubba, although neither the AK-type magazine nor the TAPCO 2-rounders I got can use them) but they work in the 5-round attached magazine on this one. Here are the cousins...

th_IMG_1840.jpg th_IMG_1850.jpg

I hope to get out to Bullis tomorrow to shoot it, it's heavy but well balanced.

On a different note, we went to a gun show this morning and I saw what might be my next pistol, a Taurus PT709 Slim. I have been very impressed with the PT111 I got earlier this week and the 709 is a slimmer, single-stack version of almost the same pistol. It is what I liked about the Kel-Tec (easy to conceal) without the crappiness (it has decent sights and uses 9mm). Another guy had my hold the S&W AirLite 340PD, the lightest .357 revolver I have ever held! I wonder how that bad boy is to shoot, it is a 12oz scandium snubby! I would imagine that the power of the recoil in such a light gun would be painful, possibly too painful! Heck, even with the tank that the Ruger .GP100 .357 I have I "feel" the magnum rounds after a while (well, compared to a .45). It might be better with .38 +P; but that thing was impressively light; and anyone who prefers carrying a concealed revolver over a semi-auto should consider this pistol!

Cheers! M2

-9-

I got a great deal at $275; but I saw one at the show this morning that was $100 more and in not nearly as nice shape. At last week's show I saw several that were horribly refurbished and going for ~$450!

Look around GunBroker.com, there are some better prices there.

Cheers! M2

$275 is a great deal on a Yugo SKS lately. I paid $325 for one fresh out of the cosmoline (sp?) with 20 rounds down the pipe for functionality check. I bought it probably at the wrong time, 6 months ago. Prices were shooting up and I had watched the jump from $250ish to $400 plus. I figured $325 was a good deal, thanks for destroying that illusion.

M2, this one's for you.

So I've been looking around for a good CC piece for a while. Looked at the Warthog, Kimber UC, etc (I've had a jones for a 45), but one model that I've been drawn to is the Millenium for price as much as anything. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near a rental-range, and there's a derth of info for the PT/Mil series. BL: you're now the belly button for my research. Lucky you.

Based on capacity, I've leaned more toward the 9 for carry, and I'll pick up a 45 for papa's side of the bed at home. 147grHP is a good compromise, imo.

Price led me toward the PT. But the Taurus website is very vague on some specifics:

Based on your posts so far, double stack. Capacity?

I see three levers just under the rail. I'm guessing takedown/slidelock/safety? Anything ambidextrous? (I can't find any right-side pics)

DAO, DA/SA, SA?

Does the safety have a decocking function?

Hammerless? Any first shot SA capability?

Have you found a holster you like yet?

And of course, any good links that you can clue me into?

Thanks for the info.

Edited by BFM this

Nice SKS, M2. Looks just like mine. As for the S&W AirLite, I would never shoot .357 out of that... too painful and follow up shots would be non-existent. I have a S&W Model 36 that I like to carry sometimes, and it get's painful just shooting .38 special +P out of it (8.4 oz heavier than the airlite).

M2, this one's for you.

So I've been looking around for a good CC piece for a while. Looked at the Warthog, Kimber UC, etc (I've had a jones for a 45), but one model that I've been drawn to is the Millenium for price as much as anything. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near a rental-range, and there's a derth of info for the PT/Mil series. BL: you're now the belly button for my research. Lucky you.

Based on capacity, I've leaned more toward the 9 for carry, and I'll pick up a 45 for papa's side of the bed at home. 147grHP is a good compromise, imo.

Price led me toward the PT. But the Taurus website is very vague on some specifics: (see below)

Thanks for the info.

BFM

First, your questions...

Based on your posts so far, double stack. Capacity? 12+1. Last round or two are tight, but it is suppose to, and will hold, 12 rounds.

I see three levers just under the rail. I'm guessing takedown/slidelock/safety? Anything ambidextrous? (I can't find any right-side pics)

DAO, DA/SA, SA? Nope, everything (takedown, slide lock and safety) are all on the left side.

Does the safety have a decocking function? Again, nope, no decocking capability; once it is condition 1, you have to clear it the old fashion way.

Hammerless? Any first shot SA capability? Yep, first round is SA, subsequent rounds are DA but the trigger pull is light.

Have you found a holster you like yet? I am using the same Uncle Mikes size 15 neoprene holster I use for my XD-45 Service. Seems to be the right size or at least close enough.

And of course, any good links that you can clue me into? The best is the Taurus Armed forum.

Secondly, a little editorializing on my part. I shot my new PT111 again today and I am really becoming enamored with this gun! It will never replace my beloved XD-45, but for the price it is really a great weapon! Taurus has a bad reputation and some of that may have been earned; but the guns they are selling these days are impressive and the fact that they have a lifetime warranty quells any fears.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Millennium Pro series, but I have to add that I've heard the earlier series had a few problems that were fixed on the later generations. Mine is a Gen 3 (it says 'Millennium' on one side and 'PT111 Pro' on the other, the pic I posted was actually an earlier model) and it would probably be a good idea to look for one of those. But I have done a 180° on 9mm pistols, mainly based on my hatred of the Baretta 92F (M-9) POS that the USAF made us carry. I liked the MP5s we trained on in Belgium, but I will always hate the M-9.

My next pistol will most likely be the PT709 Slim, simply because I am impressed with the PT111 and secondly because I did like the ease of which I could conceal the P3AT despite it being such a crappy shooter that ate very expensive and hard-to-find ammo. Overall length of 6" and a grip width of under an inch, plus 7+1 rounds of 9mm makes for a good BUG, and its got better sights than the Heinie's on the PT111 (I forgot to mention that the 'straight 8' sights on the PT111 are one aspect that I am overly thrilled with).

But let me conclude by emphasizing that I have not had one FTF/FTE with the PT111 and don't expect to, it is probably the best gun in that price range (~$300). As a matter of fact, that is my new recommendation...if you need an inexpensive but reliable carry and self-defense pistol that has cheap and relatively plentiful ammo, look at the PT111. If you can spend a little more and like the .45, get an XD. If you can afford a 1911, get one as well, every red-blooded American male should own at least one. And if you are strictly looking for a home defense weapon, find yourself a pistol-gripped 12 gauge!

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2
The PT709 is 7+1, not 8+1!

Nice SKS, M2. Looks just like mine. As for the S&W AirLite, I would never shoot .357 out of that... too painful and follow up shots would be non-existent. I have a S&W Model 36 that I like to carry sometimes, and it get's painful just shooting .38 special +P out of it (8.4 oz heavier than the airlite).

T-bonez

Thanks for the compliment on the Yugo, I was cleaning it earlier and am still impressed at what a deal I got!

Concerning the S&W Airlite .357, even the guy going on about it admitted he had never shot one; he was too fixated on how lightweight it was and seemed oblivious to my comments about how bad the recoil would be. I'm not even considering one, if anything I will snag one of the PT709s...

Cheers! M2

T-bonez

Thanks for the compliment on the Yugo, I was cleaning it earlier and am still impressed at what a deal I got!

Concerning the S&W Airlite .357, even the guy going on about it admitted he had never shot one; he was too fixated on how lightweight it was and seemed oblivious to my comments about how bad the recoil would be. I'm not even considering one, if anything I will snag one of the PT709s...

Cheers! M2

I guess he'll figure it out the first time he shoots it. Changing the grips would probably help him. I changed the grips on my model 36 to give me more purchase, and it helped with recoil management. That being said, my model 19 is the smallest handgun I'd use for .357 magnum.

Agreed, I would never shoot a .357 that I couldn't get all three fingers firmly on the grip...

SW386PD.JPG

If I were to try to shoot that, it would probably end up embedded into my cranium!

Agreed, I would never shoot a .357 that I couldn't get all three fingers firmly on the grip...

If I were to try to shoot that, it would probably end up embedded into my cranium!

The Wife has a Lady Smith in .357 ... and while 38 special is the way for her, .357 works just fine. A gun that light kicks like hell, but your hand swallows up the entire pistol so it's kind of a wash. I can't shoot a whole lot of .357 out of it, it will actually bruise your palm. The fireball that comes out of a snubby pistol with .357 is impressive and would likely get a lot of attention.

-Break-

M2: Any recommendation for a home-cannon shotgun?

(I miss my 1911's)

The Wife has a Lady Smith in .357 ... and while 38 special is the way for her, .357 works just fine. A gun that light kicks like hell, but your hand swallows up the entire pistol so it's kind of a wash. I can't shoot a whole lot of .357 out of it, it will actually bruise your palm. The fireball that comes out of a snubby pistol with .357 is impressive and would likely get a lot of attention.

-Break-

M2: Any recommendation for a home-cannon shotgun?

(I miss my 1911's)

Hoss

I've got a Mossberg Persuader that I love--slap a good flashlight on it (I got a SureFire 6P with a 120-lumen bulb in it) and a laser sight and you'll be set! Here are some pics...

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Load it up with some 3" Magnum 00-buckshot, and you'll have a great home-cannon shotgun!

Cheers! M2

p.s. Yeah, I know that is a cheap-o BSA laser on top, but it works!