Gun Talk

VL-16

I was doing some gun browsing and ran across this GSG on Bud's: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/955/products_id/63347

It seems like a good price from what little I know of 'em. Is this one of those traps that need more money thrown at it to make it perform as intended, or is it good to go right out of the box? If you do have one, are you happy with it?

-9-

First, BIG thumbs up for Bud's. They are awesome.

Second, honestly I think an Ar-15 with a 22LR BCG is a better deal than a dedicated MP5 replica. That way you swap out the BCG and have something useful and vice versa and have a very economical plinker.

I was doing some gun browsing and ran across this GSG on Bud's: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/955/products_id/63347

It seems like a good price from what little I know of 'em. Is this one of those traps that need more money thrown at it to make it perform as intended, or is it good to go right out of the box? If you do have one, are you happy with it?

-9-

I have one and really enjoy it. The only complaint I have is that they have issues with any other ammo but federal. But then again you can by tons of the stuff at your local Wally-World. I didn't spend anything to make it perform, but I did invest a few bucks to prevent issues that were common with the rifle. I installed a cocking handle buffer and replaced the screws that commonly cause cracked bolt carriers for $20.

I have a GSG-5 (earlier model) and while we love shooting it, it's a jammo-matic! Still, I am contemplating buying one from Bud's as that is an excellent price and hopefully the newer GSG-522s are more reliable. Plus, much of the aftermarket items I have will transfer over; so I can cannibalize mine and sell the remaining stuff for probably more than what I'd pay for a new one (oddly enough, there are a lot of people out there who want them despite their finickiness!).

Cheers! M2

Now I'm a bit irritated, I ended up ordering one of those GSG-522s from Bud's earlier today, and now I noticed the price decreased by another twenty bucks! I've emailed Bud's about it, I hope they will just credit me the difference otherwise I am going to cancel my order and reorder it. Hopefully they'll honor the new price and save me the trouble, I've bought guns from them before and have always found they provide excellent customer service.

Cheers! M2

Now I'm a bit irritated, I ended up ordering one of those GSG-522s from Bud's earlier today, and now I noticed the price decreased by another twenty bucks! I've emailed Bud's about it, I hope they will just credit me the difference otherwise I am going to cancel my order and reorder it. Hopefully they'll honor the new price and save me the trouble, I've bought guns from them before and have always found they provide excellent customer service.

Cheers! M2

Can you post the link to the price drop? The only cheaper one I found was $10 less but only included a 10 rd mag instead of a 22 rounder.

-9-

Didn't find anything listed in a search on this.

My neighbor has a Grendel P-30 (.22 mag) for sale. Before today I'd never heard anything about it. Essentially it's a 30 round .22 semi-auto. It seemed a little cheaply made to me with the grip & mags being plastic but it seems like it might be somewhat of a collectors piece (early-mid 90's make no longer manufactured) that might also be fun to shoot. I could probably pick it up for about $200 but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. There seems to be some going online for about $400-500 in auctions and it seems like, for the most part, previous owners have enjoyed the piece. Thought I'd see if anyone here's had the pleasure/displeasure of shooting/owning one and had any info or views/reviews to share. Thanks.

Ego

Edited by egochecks

Anybody hear anything good or bad about Core-15 ARs? It seems like a relatively new company. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

http://www.core15rif...&category_id=16

Never heard of them before. It would be ALOT cheaper for you to piece one together yourself though. Not even from scratch, just buy a prebuilt upper from BCM and a built lower receiver group from any number of places and you can have a Ar-15 for under $1k.

Anyone have a S&W BG380? I got an extra magazine for one with some stuff today, and since I don't own one there no reason to keep it. I'll be more than happy to drop it in the mail to anyone who actually owns one...PM me with your mailing address if you do. Gone!

Cheers! M2

So, I finally decided to get off my ass and order me one of those great CMP Garands mentioned earlier in this thread. However, it seems I have bad timing since all of the value priced service grades are currently not available for order. I've also been in the market for a solid bolt action for deer season and decided it makes sense to buy one in .30-06 to share with the M1.

After a lot of calling and research, I headed off to my local Wally World to buy a Remington 700 ADL with a cheap scope for $397 plus tax. However, when I got there I was surprised to find a Savage 110 with the accu-trigger and a cheap Bushnell scope for the same price. It was a tough choice, as the 700's reputation and large availability of parts is hard to beat, but I just couldn't pass up the legendary accuracy and trigger of the Savage so I brought it home today.

Next up is a quality scope, right now I'm thinking a Leupold or Nikon 3-9x40. I'll post a range report when I sight it in... Hopefully the Savage accuracy won't let me down!

-9-

Anybody hear anything good or bad about Core-15 ARs? It seems like a relatively new company. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

http://www.core15rif...&category_id=16

Stick with quality manufacturers. I've posted several times in this thread on what makes a good AR-15, so you can do a search and look up the info. Knight's Armament (KAC), Lewis Machine Tool (LMT), Bravo Company (BCM), Noveske, Colt, and Spike's are all good choices. Some are cheaper than others, but the quality is there in all these makes.

• 2 weeks later...

Stick with quality manufacturers. I've posted several times in this thread on what makes a good AR-15, so you can do a search and look up the info. Knight's Armament (KAC), Lewis Machine Tool (LMT), Bravo Company (BCM), Noveske, Colt, and Spike's are all good choices. Some are cheaper than others, but the quality is there in all these makes.

Thanks for the info! I just purchased a Colt 6920 that had some Magpul accessories for $1,000 shipped. It seemed like a pretty good deal and I figured I should better buy one now before the prices go back up again.

Can you buy guns in DC these days? Seriously, I'm not sure; the DC Appeals Court recently upheld that an Assault Weapons Ban was constitutional...

Washington, D.C. Assault Weapons Ban Constitutional, Appeals Court Rules

Luckily I do not live in DC, most of us prisoners in the five sided palace do not, we live across the river in the Commonwealth of Virginia where it is still legal to own an assault weapon. Additionally, the Nation's Gunshow is actually being hosted just outside the DC limits in Chantilly Va.

I live about 3 miles from the Expo Center (site of the DC Gunshow). I went last time and thought they, the vendors, were all pretty proud of their wares. I have found much better deals online - Bud's, Gunbroker, etc.

Lots to look at to get your ideas.

And to put a plug in for some good customer service - I bought some ammo last night from Georgia Arms, total came to $492. S/H was $35. Got a call this morning telling me that if I spent $8 more, I could free shipping and save the $35. Outstanding to them.

I really want a another AR-15, but have not had the time to sort through all the options, hoping a trip to the show will give me some ideas.

Definitely a good idea to do more 'looking' at gun shows vs 'buying'. These days, guys at gun shows are asking too much compared to what you can get them for on buds or gunbroker. I still go when they're in town and unless I'm looking to purchase something specific that I can't buy online, I'll usually just browse the different tables and see if something catches my eye. Always a good idea to have your smart phone ready so you can do a quick search to see what the prices are online.

I have a Rock River AR-15 and really enjoy it. Buds sells S&W's AR-15's and will give you the law enforcement rate...also you can get an additional $100 rebate from S&W being military. Not saying the AR's are great or not (I'm sure they're pretty decent) , but it's definitely not a bad deal.

Thanks for the info! I just purchased a Colt 6920 that had some Magpul accessories for $1,000 shipped. It seemed like a pretty good deal and I figured I should better buy one now before the prices go back up again.

The 6920 is pretty much the standard so you did great. I'm assuming you bought it used?

I might have a chance to pick up a TEC-9 (yeah, you heard me right) for cheap...

Yeah, I know, it's a ghetto gun and prone to jamming; but it's got a certain pimp-slap, Grand Theft Auto drive-by shooting appeal to it...

...and the guy who has it really wants to get rid of it (he's a Boy Scout leader and it doesn't fit the image)!

Plus, Kurt Russell used one in Big Trouble in Little China! :rock:

Maybe I'll put a rail and a Red Dot on it! :mosh:

Cheers! M2

Well, I did grab that TEC-9 a few months back (OK, 5 months ago!) and finally got a chance to take it out to the range.

Honestly, it was a blast to shoot! With two magazines (60+ rounds), we had two malfunctions, one FTF and one FTE (a stovepipe). Both were early on in the first magazine, and the FTE was when my wife was shooting it (she was apprehensive at first, but loved shooting it!). For how cheap I got it, I'll keep it. I'd never use it as a self-defense weapon but it's such fun to shoot and so ghetto that there's no reason to get rid of it. I'm very happy...

Cheers! M2