Gun Talk

VL-16

Guest FullOtto

TMO coming in a week.

I got too many guns/ammo weight wise to pull with my SUV.

The moving company seems legit, not like Somali pirates or anything. They said they'd inventory the guns/serials as soon as they arrive at the house and lock them up in a vault on the truck and a vault in their NonTemp storage place. Sounds reassuring. Any of you guys NTS your guns?

I chose the mosin and mauser bolt actions since I wouldn't cry if they got lost and reimbursement is the standard price. If an SBR shorty got lost there'd be no way to recover the parts, time and stamp fees, so those and the AWs I am taking with me in a trailer.

Cosmolined them up and took photos of each gun/serial #s in case they do disappear with TMO.

Dont wanna go over 2000lbs in the DITY trailer as its over 1000 by itself and would be a strain on my V-8. So I am also letting TMO take a ton of parts, mags and gear that I would cry if it was stolen. Am hoping this stuff does not disappear. :(

Removed the bolts from the mosins and will keep em with me, that way if the Germans get the convoy they can't use em!

2011JuneJuly%20259.jpg

Guest FullOtto

I disagree with some of Perry's political decisions and alliances with mehiko. However, him being a Herk guy, and a supporter of all 2A related stuff. I don't think I will ever see a more 2A supportive guy in office. I'd pitch in for his campaign! Maybe he can get funding to put rifle ranges on all USAF bases for MWR :M16a2: or buy the USAF a Plasma Rife in the 40watt range.

For all the baseops readers OCONUS, perhaps when you get back we will have voted in some good change for the 2A scene.

Being by the border here in S TX the local FFLs are telling me ATF is trying to enforce unofficial "technique" not procedure, rules to hedge the tide of AWs going south. The border states seem to be where the heat is coming from. Why would a person who lives on the border drive all the way up to N or Mid TX to buy an AR/AK? That seems to be the fishy part and might bring some new legislation aimed at stopping the flow.

On the bright side, FFLs still transfer to guys/studs on ORDERS even if they're out of state residences. So remind new guys they CAN buy guns while in training and take advantage of mil programs/discounts.

I don't ask for military discounts for much cause it feels cheesy sometimes, except at HD/Lowes and gun manufacturers/suppressor mfg. That's where they actually WANT to give you a discount and are happy to serve you.

EDIT

Noted Perry has the Peltor noise cancelling headset, man.......I think I am gonna invest in one. Even with double hearing protection I sometimes get the ring in the ear with the X54R rounds.

Edited by FullOtto

Anybody watch 'Sons of Guns' last night on Discovery? Pretty damn good show, especially when compared to all the other crap on these days. I like how they focus a lot on the Saiga's....though after going to their website, I think that they're way overpriced.

Actually, I have been quite disappointed with Sons of Guns for not focusing more on AKs! Red Jacket made its reputation on AK builds, and all they show are stupid projects as the "Master Key" (which, contrary to what they claim, has been done before) as well as the "semi-auto AK sniper" (PSL, M76 or Dragunov SVD anyone?) and that idiotic "triamese" M-16. The AK-47 silencer was a waste, I still don't see the point.

Will Hayden is on one of the AK forums I frequent, I fear he's following the path of the Tuttles (American Chopper) or the Harrisons (Pawn Stars) where it's more about the show than the business. Red Jacket Firearms had a reputation of being a good AK build shop, but with these kinds of shenanigan projects it's just going to get more ridiculous. Hell, their web site is an indication that they are going down that path... :bash:

Guest FullOtto

at least the show is out there to gain interest though. I remember back in the 90s if I wanted to see a gun it was in a magazine, BEHIND all the other regular mags. I guess those of us way TOO into guns cant grasp the show, but it seems to do well with the regulars. ENTERTAINMENT, not education :)

Anybody watch 'Sons of Guns' last night on Discovery? Pretty damn good show, especially when compared to all the other crap on these days. I like how they focus a lot on the Saiga's....though after going to their website, I think that they're way overpriced.

I watch the show just for the entertainment value of the stupid shit they build.

But I do cry every time they RUIN a Browning 1919.

And there already is a sniper Ak-47...it's called a Draganov.

Will Hayden is on one of the AK forums I frequent, I fear he's following the path of the Tuttles (American Chopper) or the Harrisons (Pawn Stars) where it's more about the show than the business. Red Jacket Firearms had a reputation of being a good AK build shop, but with these kinds of shenanigan projects it's just going to get more ridiculous. Hell, their web site is an indication that they are going down that path... :bash:

Disappointing but not surprising. The bucks he's bringing in from merchandising and/or endorsements must be much more than he is in actual hardware currently. No doubt he's striking while the iron is hot.

Some months ago I was TDY to Vegas and killed a Sunday afternoon by going by the "Pawn Stars" shop. Besides the "magic of TV" making the dumpy shop seem pretty big, the small store was about half filled with show merchandising crap.

And I'd bet the Sons of Guns producers are pushing to do or at least only broadcast the "weird" projects vice practical but "boring" gun mods.

And there should be a code - no butchering of classics like that 1919. :flag_waving:

Yeah, I was just up in Alaska and the amount of overpriced Deadliest Catch crap their hawking is amazing.

But it's even sadder as RJF has a reputation for some excellent AK builds. They've sold out with the show as far as I am concerned...

I had talked with those guys a couple years ago about building an AK-74 underfolder and they seemed good to go. After watching last night with their 1000 yard AK I couldn't believe they were going to TLAR the headspace on the rifle. That is pretty basic gunsmithing 101 sh!t right there and the boss was giving the guy crap for it. Hell, if everything had to be perfect then you'd want your guy doing those measurements right not TLARing it...

I've got to get my SCAR 17S review up soon... GREAT .308 battle rifle - lightweight and low recoil - only negative is finding mags...

Wow, I guess I am gaining a little local gun show celeb status here in SA. Yesterday a bunch of us met up for breakfast prior to a new gun show here in town. Two of the promoters came to the restaurant and not only paid for our meals but also gave us free passes to get into the show. They had read our reviews from their first show earlier this year, and our latest attempts to get people to the show (it really is a good one), and felt they would show us their gratitude. I spent some time talking with the son of the promoter giving him some insight as to what was working and the few things that could be better, and he was very responsive. They also ended up giving us free passes to the next show in September as well!

It is a great show, and I did pick up a Tula-built Russian AK bakelite bayonet for a decent price. I could have easily dropped more money at the show, but my oldest needs braces and I am waiting for that bomb to drop before I go spending cash on more guns!

Cheers! M2

But it's even sadder as RJF has a reputation for some excellent AK builds. They've sold out with the show as far as I am concerned...

So it sounds like I'm one of few guys on here who is actually still watching the show. Last night's was pretty decent as it was cool to see speed shooter Jerry Miculek shoot the semi auto against the full auto AK and almost win. I thought the chrome 1919 on the bike set up was pretty lame, but oh well. I guess it comes down to the fact that the only TV shows I really like to watch these days are on History, Nat Geo, Science, Fox News, and Family Guy...so when there's a once a week show of buidling and shooting guns (even if some are lame), I'll still sit down with a scotch and watch me some guns.

In terms of accuracy, ease of firing, easy to find ammo, dependency (does not jam, ect), and power, which of these following guns is best: Desert Eagle, Magnum, Colt 45, or Python?

That's a loaded questions with a lot to answer. The Colt Python or Colt .45 (I'm assuming you mean a 1911) are your best choices. The Desert Eagle is ridiculously expensive and a behemoth of a weapon. Since the Python is no longer in production you will have to find a used one, but they will be pricey. A "reasonably" priced Python that still works and is pretty to look at will be just north of $1000. The benefit of having the Python is that is is chambered for .357 magnum, which means you can shoot the lighter recoiling .38 special through it too.

The 1911 will be more prevalent because everyone makes one. Small parts quality is a major factor here and most people who espouse how great their Kimber or whatnot is overlook the fact that all their internals are going to be garbage. That being said, I highly recommend Colt as your first choice in a 1911. They make the best ones in their price range, plus it's a Colt. Springfield Armory also makes an excellent 1911 and would be my second choice. Realize that a 1911 is not an ideal choice for a beginning handgun shooter. Field stripping is more complex than modern semi-autos, but it's still relatively simple. Maintenance is no more strenuous than a modern handgun until you start getting into higher round counts. Eventually parts will need to be replaced. The extractor is a big one, and many parts like that require fitting on a 1911. Unless you are comfortable and capable of doing that, you will have to send it to a gunsmith.

Ammo for both the Python (.38 Special and .357 Magnum) and the 1911 (.45 ACP) can be found at any sporting goods store, gun store, wal-mart, etc. Ammo for all 3 calibers are similarly priced.

What do you intend to use this gun for? What made you choose these guns? I can think of several choices that will probably better suit your needs... without even knowing what those needs are.

Additionally, make sure you buy yourself a decent holster. I originally came on here to post this article, but though I could kill two birds with one post.

ETA: Looks like ExBoneOSO already posted the article in the WTF? thread... Police urge holster use after man shoots his own penis.

Edited by Timbonez
  • Upvote 1

In terms of accuracy, ease of firing, easy to find ammo, dependency (does not jam, ect), and power, which of these following guns is best: Desert Eagle, Magnum, Colt 45, or Python?

T-bonez pretty much answered it, but if I may add you might want to look into the Ruger GP100 revolver. I have one as the Colt .357 Magnum I have is my Dad's pre-Python 1954 that I want to save for my sons. I got the Ruger cheap and it's just as reliable if not even better to shoot (because it is a modern revolver). As T-bonez mentioned a .357 can also fire .38 Special ammo which is cheaper and has a lot less recoil (but it is still equally lethal).

While a much smaller capacity, revolvers have the advantage over semi-autos in their simplicity and dependability. If there is any reason it doesn't fire when you pull the trigger, all you have to do is pull the trigger again! Granted, you only have 5-6 rounds versus 9-15 in most semi-autos magazines, and revolvers are usually bigger and more bulky to carry than a svelter semi-auto, but for newer shooters or someone looking for a self-defense pistol for home, they are pretty good choices.

Oh, one more comment, unlike most semi-autos, revolvers do NOT have safeties; something to keep in mind if you've got young kids or inexperienced shooters in the house. Pull the trigger and they will go bang!

Cheers! M2