Gun Talk

VL-16

Funny, we were just talking about ammo from Freedom Munitions at work this afternoon (yeah, I'm sure you're all surprised by the fact that I work with a bunch of gun people!).

Normally I advise people to shun away from reloaded ammo, but I've heard nothing but good things about their stuff and given that many calibers are still tough to find, it's definitely an option.

I still wouldn't buy anything from that weird guy at the gun show selling bags of ammo he reloaded; but I think Freedom is about as good as the stuff most "new" ammo manufacturers offer...

Like I said… I've put a few thousand of their once fired stuff down range without a single misfire. Great customer service too. I haven't had any issues with the ammo, but I've e-mailed them with a few questions and they got back to me usually within a few hours. Their shipping isn't the fastest, but I'm usually buying 500-1000 rds at a time of whatever caliber just to keep it stocked up so it isn't an issue. I'll buy their new stuff if they have it (usually only a few cents per round extra), but to be honest haven't noticed a difference between the new and once fired rds. I've never used anything other than their target stuff, but they sell defense rounds, etc. I don't mean to turn this into a Freedom Munitions advertisement, but if they sell me a great product for a great price and support the Vets with a discount along the way I have no problem talking them up and helping my bros get in on the deal as well.

• Upvote 2

I doubt there's much difference between Freedom's ammo and the Winchester White Box I usually use at the range. Well, except availability and price!

But again, not all reloaded ammo is the same. I've seen much of the gun show bought stuff turn out to be shit. If someone's going to buy reloaded ammo, be sure to do so from a reputable source like Freedom...

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I picked one up about six months ago. I've put probably 500 rounds through it.

It has yet to fail.

I still just don't like it.

Got a good deal on a hardly used M&P9c. MA & CA compliant meaning the magazines were only 10 rounders and not the 12'ers that are also available. This one does not have an external safety. I got it because of the price and thinking it might be my replacement for when I finally get around to sending my XDs into Springfield for the recall. It is surprising to me to see how much difference the width to this - 1.18" vs. the .9" of the XDs, but it actually is noticeable in an IWB.

I also thought it might be a good upgrade for my wife after she carrys her S&W Model 642 for a while and wants something else.

One of the two main things I do not like about it is the length of the back of the grip. It's just a tad too short to be comfortable for me. Yes, I am aware of the adapters that let me use a full size magazine but I might as well carry my full size M&P in that case.

The other thing I don't like is the trigger on this which is very different than that of the full size. Not how it works - I had an APEX trigger job done on it and that is much better than factory original - but the actual trigger itself. The long, thin piece of plastic/polymer feels like I'm pulling a cat fang and the angle is awkward to me.

The good thing about this pistol is the reliability as noted above. It has yet to fail no matter the type of ammo - bulk cheap stuff or Corbon SD rounds. So I wouldn't be leery of carrying this and I use it for the concealed pistol on the main floor.

As quickly as the market is moving, the M&P series is getting long in the tooth now, but it still gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and confusion. But I just am not that into this one.

M&P9c specifications:

Weight: 21.7 oz (unloaded)

Length: 6.7"

Height: 4.3"

Width: 1.18"

Barrel Length: 3.5"

3.5″

Edited by brickhistory

Idiot state senator in California doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking but its hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmFEv6BHM0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiJmFEv6BHM0

Edited by Fuzz

Idiot state senator in California doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking but its hilarious.

I'm still tying to figure out what a '30 caliber-clip' is? Maybe he's referring to clips used in the he original M1 Garand that were chambered in .30-06? Though that doesn't make sense when he's holding up an AR-15.

And as for a carbine that can fire 3600 rounds in a minute...wow. I'll take 2 of those!

An idiot indeed.

I'm still tying to figure out what a '30 caliber-clip' is? Maybe he's referring to clips used in the he original M1 Garand that were chambered in .30-06? Though that doesn't make sense when he's holding up an AR-15.

And as for a carbine that can fire 3600 rounds in a minute...wow. I'll take 2 of those!

An idiot indeed.

I don't think he has any idea what he's referring too, I've always wanted a ghost gun too. Edited by Fuzz

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I picked one up about six months ago. I've put probably 500 rounds through it.

It has yet to fail.

I still just don't like it.

Got a good deal on a hardly used M&P9c. MA & CA compliant meaning the magazines were only 10 rounders and not the 12'ers that are also available. This one does not have an external safety. I got it because of the price and thinking it might be my replacement for when I finally get around to sending my XDs into Springfield for the recall. It is surprising to me to see how much difference the width to this - 1.18" vs. the .9" of the XDs, but it actually is noticeable in an IWB.

I also thought it might be a good upgrade for my wife after she carrys her S&W Model 642 for a while and wants something else.

One of the two main things I do not like about it is the length of the back of the grip. It's just a tad too short to be comfortable for me. Yes, I am aware of the adapters that let me use a full size magazine but I might as well carry my full size M&P in that case.

The other thing I don't like is the trigger on this which is very different than that of the full size. Not how it works - I had an APEX trigger job done on it and that is much better than factory original - but the actual trigger itself. The long, thin piece of plastic/polymer feels like I'm pulling a cat fang and the angle is awkward to me.

The good thing about this pistol is the reliability as noted above. It has yet to fail no matter the type of ammo - bulk cheap stuff or Corbon SD rounds. So I wouldn't be leery of carrying this and I use it for the concealed pistol on the main floor.

As quickly as the market is moving, the M&P series is getting long in the tooth now, but it still gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and confusion. But I just am not that into this one.

M&P9c specifications:

Weight: 21.7 oz (unloaded)

Length: 6.7"

Height: 4.3"

Width: 1.18"

Barrel Length: 3.5"

3.5″

I have both the M&P9 and 9c… I'm a big fan of both. Same as you said above… I've probably put about 2000 res through each and have yet to have a misfire. I've heard others saying they don't like the trigger, but I personally don't mind it. I will say I like the full size better than the compact, but I use the compact as my CC with a Galco V-Hawk IWB which I love. Got a great deal on the M&Ps at Quantico Tactical in VA… great military/LE special.

There’s something to be said for high capacity magazines...

A guy walked into a crowded bar waving his 1911 Colt .45 ACP pistol with an 8 round magazine and yelled, "Who in here hasbeen screwing my wife?"

A voice from the back of the bar yelled back, "You’ll need more ammo."

• Upvote 1

CenturionBulgarian1_zpse151f90f.jpg

Put some ex-Bulgarian furniture on my Century C39. Had to replace the pistol grip screw (did that after I took this pic) and need a ferrule for the lower handguard as well, (but I'm working on that!). I've also replaced the parts pin stamped top cover and selector with proper milled versions. Both needed a little work to get to fit, but are much better than what came on the rifle.

Now she looks like a proper Kalashnikov! I'm sure the fishes will appreciate that!

Cheers! M2

There’s something to be said for high capacity magazines...

A guy walked into a crowded bar waving his 1911 Colt .45 ACP pistol with an 8 round magazine and yelled, "Who in here hasbeen screwing my wife?"

A voice from the back of the bar yelled back, "You’ll need more ammo."

I just lol'd.

What's the prevailing thought on m-1Carbines? Have an opportunity to pick one up. Not sure type condition but what are some things I should look for and price? Could have the choice of a WWII matching numbers and a generic shooter. What should I look for and how much should I pay. Again just looking for prevailing thoughts from the masses as I am not up to speed as I used to be and the Internet can only give you so much v

Cooter

Fun guns. Ammo is fairly pricey.

Not an expert and I sold my mine a while back (idiot!) when I got tired of moving all the stuff around.

Have since repurchased a new-build Auto-Ordnance one.

Check the bore - grooves still sharp? Does it rattle a bunch when you shake it? Do the parts that have one all have the same manufacturer? (Over the decades, parts were replaced so they might not and that doesn't necessarily detract, but still...)

Reputable dealer/seller?

Price is so very dependent. Condition, year of manufacture, country of origin - U.S., Bavaria/Germany, RoK, etc.

You can get a new build like I did for around $700 from Auto-Ordnance. Pristine original M-1s can go for much more than that. Average ones shouldn't, and projects not nearly so.

Not much specifics here, sorry. But they are fun as hell to shoot. They get damned hot on the top of the foregrip in a hurry, however.

Anybody heard/read about this new 'Tac-Con 3MR Trigger' (drop-in trigger) for the AR? It's peaked my interest and it seems like it's making a lot of noise (no pun intended) at the beginning of Shot Show. It doesn't look overly impressive in the video below, but some of the gun guys I follow are saying how awesome it is from shooting it today at Show Show. Thoughts?

https://tacfirecon.com/tacfireconshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

Nothing to rave about. With solid fundamentals and a good trigger like the Geissele SD3G you can accomplish this speed.

I'm planning on digging through this thread extensively, but I have about $1000 in my pocket that I would love to put towards an AK. Any quick advice? I have a AR and know some basics about AKs but nowhere near the level that you all do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Rifle Dynamics in Vegas or Snakehound.

It's expensive, but no more so than a Geiselle.

Not quite. You can pick up a Geissele for $200-260. I own the SSA-E ($230) and the SD3G ($260). The Tac-Con 3MR will set you back $495. Cool concept but nothing I'd drop that kind of money on.

FYI...

Winchester Recalls Ammo BREAKING: Winchester Recalls Lots Of .22 Long Rifle Ammo | The Truth About Guns

1/28/2014

Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling two (2) lots of M*22â„¢ 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Copper Plated Round Nose rimfire ammunition.

Symbol Number: S22LRT
Lot Numbers: GD42L and GD52L
Winchester has determined the above lots of 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition may contain double powder charges. Ammunition with double powder charges may subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury and/or death, or cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable.
match-recall-2.jpgDO NOT USE WINCHESTER® M*22™ 22 Long Rifle RIMFIRE AMMUNITION WITH LOT NUMBERS GD42L or GD52L. The ammunition Lot Number is imprinted (stamped without ink) on the left tuck flap of the 500-round carton as indicated here. The 1000-round intermediate carton does not have a Lot Number.
To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol Number and Lot Number. If it is Symbol Number S22LRT with a Lot Number containing GD42L or GD52L immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 866-423-5224 or visithttp://www.winchester.com/Product-Se...ontact-Us.aspx for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.
This notice applies only to Symbol Number S22LRT with Lot Numbers GD42L and GD52L. Other Symbol Numbers or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.
If you have any questions concerning this 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition recall please call toll-free 866-423-5224, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 Attn: S22LRT Recall), or contact Winchester Customer Support online.
We apologize for this inconvenience.

What sucks is they are only offering monetary compensation, not replacement ammo...

I have to say that Olin Corp (Winchester) took care of me with a bad lot of primers I bought a few years ago. These were Win Large Rifle primers being used for loading .308 and .260 long-range targets loads. Out of 6-700 fired I had 8 with tiny pin hole failures on the outside corner of the primer. Had read about similar failures online, so contacted Winchester and submitted photos of the failed primers. They sent a UPS return label and took the remaining 1300 primers. About 1-2 months later they sent me a whole case of 5k new WLRs (different lot of course). I wasn't thrilled about having the problem in the first place, but they did a good job taking care of it for me!

I've only heard good things about Lehigh. I've never used it personally. They have a kickass .300 Blackout round that a may pick up once my stamp come in from Uncle Sam.

I love my 300 BO, probably my favorite gun, especially with the AAC suppressor that just came through. Any place to get good BO rounds is good in my book