SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

Yes it is out of control...in-res is supposed to be 100% now. And when you go in-res, you'll now waste 2 months of your life instead of a month.

...also, it was briefed at Cannon that about 90% attend SOS in-res, thus the BAC+/SOS in-correspondence discriminators to indentify the bottom 10%.

My neighbor is a retired Thud driver. He said back in his day shoe flag was 13 weeks. You might think that would have sucked, but they brought their Thuds with them! That's right, their Sq/CCs didn't want PME to get in the way of their real jobs. He didn't want them losing currencies or proficiency. A typical SOS day for him was slackademics, then go fly jets, then go VFR direct to the O-Club to drink the night away. On the weekends, it was more CT (cross country if they wanted to) as long as they made it back in time the following Monday. He actually enjoyed SOS. He never even thought about a Master's degree or correspondence SOS either. He was too busy being the best fighter pilot he could be and his CC wouldn't have had it any other way. Once he made Lt Col, his OG/CC told him he should probably start thinking about a master's degree. I have to stop hanging out with these old guys that corrupt me with the goodness that once was the Air Force. Night and day my friends, night and day.

Incorrect statement in bold. The new SOS in correspondence will be significantly more time consuming than the current iteration. Getting in on the current course now before they close it to new applicants is exactly the sort of thing a smart Lt should be doing if he's sitting around on casual status, assuming he's a captain select. The current course should literally take 6-9 hours to complete, if you count the time driving to and from the education office. This will no longer be valid on 28 September.

GPF,

I see your point, but I would argue it is incorrect leadership all the way at the top. Schwartz could have stopped this madness, but chose not too. Hell, the AU Commandant could probably do so as well, but chooses not to. I still stand by what I said since he just pinned on 1LT. Odium, you brought up something that really angers me about the AF. Not your fault your leadership is making you think about these things.

Now the new course will be gouge-free (for a while) and take significantly longer than Course 20 and to top it off, in-res is supposed to be 100% now.

Since the new course is discussion board / essay based, you can expect it to remain gouge free. Unless people like getting caught for plagiarism by SafeAssign.

GPF,

I see your point, but I would argue it is incorrect leadership all the way at the top. Schwartz could have stopped this madness, but chose not too. Hell, the AU Commandant could probably do so as well, but chooses not to. I still stand by what I said since he just pinned on 1LT. Odium, you brought up something that really angers me about the AF. Not your fault your leadership is making you think about these things.

And I would agree. AU certainly isn't going to correct the problem, since that would put them out of a job.

When SQ/CCs include the words "SOS" and "AAD" in pre-deployment briefs (directed at first time deployers, i.e., co-pilots), then you know the train has come off the rails.

And yes, I've seen it first hand in different squadrons with different commandersFat chicks.....It unfortunately has become the new norm USAF wide. From someone going through a few MWS's now and the different leadership it is all the same...Get working on AAD and ready for SOS, and don't forget to do your bake sales! All the time trying to learn your mws. The real focus has gotten too far out of hand.

You're not losing your mind but the reality of today's environment can make you feel like you're losing it. It was briefed a week or two ago at Cannon that at least BAC+ (the deeper the better, sts) and SOS in correspondence must be complete before officers can attend SOS in-residence. No SOS attendance and AAD incompletion were the top reasons 27SOW folks were passed over on the last Major board. AFSOC,apparently, struggled at the last Major promotion board. Currently, Cannon's Ops Group eligibles for Major are behind (AAD incomplete, SOS in-res not complete or both) while the Wing's other three Group's eligibles are all AAD and SOS complete. This isn't from the MAJCOM it was/is the criteria the Air Force is using to promote folks. So if Skippy wants to do something with his down time and cares about playing the promotion games down the road, as much as I regret advising and typing this, he should get as far ahead as he can while he ain't distracted by anything else. Maybe General Welsh will guide us down a different path, here's to hoping at least.

Since extending SOS to 8 weeks wasn't bad enough, now it's mandatory to do SOS in-correspondence before we can attend in-residence? I'm really glad I did ASBC. But I'm sure our leadership knows what's best for us. Between the time spent [wasted] at ASBC, SOS in-correspondence, SOS in-residence and an extremely useful degree from AMU, I'm sure we will truly embody the Air Force warrior ethos and be much more effective and efficient at our jobs.

I really hope Gen Welsh can refocus our priorities as a service. We are far too undermanned to be doing shit that makes absolutely no sense and is a complete waste of time. Every person I've asked has said SOS is pretty much worthless yet we're extending the program to meet the learning objectives (which should be covered in the commissioning program) of the failed/cancelled ASBC.

• 1 month later...

ACSC launches new distance learning program

Along with lesson narratives, reading materials and lesson progress checks, students will encounter videos, computer-based interactive learning activities and "game-like" exercises, all available in an online environment. Self-paced study will be enhanced through collaborative online seminars that enable students to engage more deeply in course concepts via faculty-guided, peer-to-peer interactions.

Faaaaantastic.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/acsc/distance-learning.asp

Upon launching the new program, new students signing up will automatically enroll in 6.0. Current students will transition into 6.0 depending on where they are in 5.2. Students enrolled in LC, NS or AP will transition into 6.0 upon successful completion of that course. Students in WS will stay in 5.2 until completion of AP. Finally, students enrolled in any of the 5.2 Joint Warfare courses at the start of 6.0 will not transition, but they must complete the 5.2 program by 1 April 2013. On that date, the 5.2 program will terminate and students still enrolled in any of the 5.2 courses will be moved into 6.0. Depending upon their progress, they may have to retake one or more courses.

The change was announced months ago. Looks like most non-complete people will be rolled not the new format.

Do it now while the gouge is good...

That works if you're already in the "Joint" classes (or finishing up L&C). Like ThreeHoler posted - unlike other PME version changes, with this one they're going to transfer people to the new one even if they're in the middle of the old one. So if you're on L&C, get that test knocked out next week!

That works if you're already in the "Joint" classes (or finishing up L&C). Like ThreeHoler posted - unlike other PME version changes, with this one they're going to transfer people to the new one even if they're in the middle of the old one. So if you're on L&C, get that test knocked out next week!

I guess I don't get this quote. If you are in L&C, you are still going to get enrolled in 6.0 after you take the L&C test (doesn't have to be next week). AU is projecting the switch over to happen on September 24th. If you have taken test 4, Expeditionary, Air, Space, and Cyberspace Power (AP), have the score updated with AU, and show enrolled in Joint Forces by the 24th, then you will stay in 5.2. Everyone else will have to change to 6.0 at some time based upon the timeline quoted earlier.

Or just go in and take as many tests blind as you need to get to Joint. It's not like the tests are that hard. The hardest part about the tests is getting them scheduled around the flying schedule, etc. What's the worst that can happen? You have to take 6.0 anyway?

When SQ/CCs include the words "SOS" and "AAD" in pre-deployment briefs (directed at first time deployers, i.e., co-pilots), then you know the train has come off the rails.

And yes, I've seen it first hand in different squadrons with different commandersFat chicks.....It unfortunately has become the new norm USAF wide. From someone going through a few MWS's now and the different leadership it is all the same...Get working on AAD and ready for SOS, and don't forget to do your bake sales! All the time trying to learn your mws. The real focus has gotten too far out of hand.

Ran across a bunch of CRO, combat controllers and Special Tact. Candidates here at Fairchild. These are 2nd Lt. And They are still going through the pipeline to even earn their beret and guess what they were talking about? Where they were getting their masters degree from.

Can't find an exact date, does anyone know if 24 Sep is still the date for ACSC v6.0 launch? What a PITA, still have two tests to go before Joint section. Maybe the Nellis ed office will let me test tomorrow and fri.

If it's anything like SOS, there is a minimum waiting period between tests. I took the SOS tests cold, but had to wait 3-4 days between tests to allow time for the previous test results to be input into the system at Maxwell.

If it's anything like SOS, there is a minimum waiting period between tests. I took the SOS tests cold, but had to wait 3-4 days between tests to allow time for the previous test results to be input into the system at Maxwell.

I took them a few years ago, and if you called and gave them a good excuse they would hasten that process. I finished all of them in about 4.5 weeks when I had an extended DNIF. Back then the waiting was for the next book to be sent to you, so I had them send the next book before I took the test for the previous book... it was a pain in the A$$ talking to them on the phone and making them do there job, but was worth it to get it done faster. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on how the Sep 24th date has affected anyone? Can I still take the old tests, or has that ship sailed?

Upon launching the new program, new students signing up will automatically enroll in 6.0. Current students will transition into 6.0 depending on where they are in 5.2. Students enrolled in LC, NS or AP will transition into 6.0 upon successful completion of that course. Students in WS will stay in 5.2 until completion of AP. Finally, students enrolled in any of the 5.2 Joint Warfare courses at the start of 6.0 will not transition, but they must complete the 5.2 program by 1 April 2013. On that date, the 5.2 program will terminate and students still enrolled in any of the 5.2 courses will be moved into 6.0. Depending upon their progress, they may have to retake one or more courses.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this needs to be seen before anyone goes to SOS:

Apparently we had too many people with out enough to do in 1959...

Serious question that made me come out of lurker status: wise or unwise to take graduate courses while at SOS? I've read the previous posts saying golf and 6 hour days, but I am looking for something a bit more recent. Also, how is the new 8 week course now that beta is over? I am one of the unlucky ones who got to do both ASBC and SOS-C before the extended SOS-R and let's just say I am super excited to repeat the best two weeks of ASBC again. I sure hope it is BT3.

Apparently we had too many people with out enough to do in 1959...

And they were white. And male. And 75% rated. And their wives were taught the role of he AF wife. And they got to fly.

And they still did all the stupid shit. Every last bit of it.