Pen flaps

Stiffler

I am at an unnamed tanker base for a couple days in the northwest (happens to be co-located with the survival school-but Ill keep it unnamed) and have noticed an absolutely disturbing trend amongst aircrew. Almost every person I have seen, still has their pen flap on their sleeve attached. WTF?????!!!!!! When did this bulls@#$ start happening? And why, oh God why, have we given up the most basic right of any rated donner of the flight suit to cut that worthless piece of forskin off our bag?

PEOPLE PLEASE!!! If you have a single flight suit with that worthless piece of fabric dangling off it, for the love of all that is holy and good, and an affront to pencil pushers everywhere, CUT IT OFF AND BEG GOD FOR FORGIVENESS.

The fact that I have to address this as the defended for the way, is just depressingly sad.

That is all.

Edited by Toro
Thread title changed

You are such a rebel.

I keep my flap on IAW AFI 36-2903 to properly reflect the dress and appearance standards of this great organization of ours.

I also keep it on as a safety precaution. When I'm in a high G turn, I don't want writing implements becoming projectiles due to my aggressive flying.

How retarded it looks aside, they're just plain annoying and get in the way. Why would you want to have to move that thing aside every time you want a pen? Sure it may only take .69sec, but add up all the times you reach for a pen...that could be like, minutes out of your life!

I've actually found that it's more useful job-wise for me to keep the flap than it is to cut it off - raising my hands to marshall a vehicle, forklift, or k-loader up to the aircraft usually results in the pens squirting out onto the ground, which is annoying at least, a FOD risk (in case I don't notice them going out) at worst. Plus I'm kind of sick of losing morale patches by brushing up against the side of the aircraft or cargo, or against the cloth curtain between the cockpit and crew rest area.

I'm still gonna do morale patches, but I think I'll just sew the velcro onto the flap...that way when I brush against something it'll just pull the flap up, instead of ripping off my patch. It's not like I go to Turkey every trip, I might want to hang onto some of those...

I've actually found that it's more useful job-wise for me to keep the flap than it is to cut it off - raising my hands to marshall a vehicle, forklift, or k-loader up to the aircraft usually results in the pens squirting out onto the ground, which is annoying at least, a FOD risk (in case I don't notice them going out) at worst.

Dude...sounds like you need a thicker pencil. STS, of course.

I have never had a pencil or pen fall out of my arm pocket. Are you using the old standard yellow #2 or what?

In the B-1, if you remove the flap you can't put pens/pencils in the pocket while flying due to potential problems if you eject. The B-1B has a restraint system that keeps your arms from flailing, apparently you could get really jacked up. It's not that big of an inconvenience just hope I remember that come checkride time.

Also, anyone ever know a lefty who has had the pencil pocket removed from the left side and put on the right side? I saw this a little while ago, I think this is by far more disturbing. Or maybe it's more common than I think.

Guest RabidWombat

hey, i realized im the fng, but isn't cutting things off your flight suit a fighter dude thing? at least, thats what was impressed upon our impressionable minds at moody.

to be fair, my flaps are cut, preference.

are there more important things to worry about than this.... like why my pabst blue ribbon is getting warm?

final word: cut it or don't. have a reason. and drive on.

RW

AFI36-2903 2 AUGUST 2006

3.2.2.3. The pen pocket flap located on the left sleeve may be removed unless prohibited by MAJCOM

Supplement or restricted due to safety of flight concerns.

Which MAJCOMs (if any) would prohibit this?

hey, i realized im the fng, but isn't cutting things off your flight suit a fighter dude thing? at least, thats what was impressed upon our impressionable minds at moody.

Cutting off your pen flap isn't a fighter thing, its a pilot thing. Fighter guys cut off their 'Peter Pocket' because they have that pocket on the G-suit. Since us trash haulers don't wear G-suits, we leave it be...that is unless you are gay. When I was casual w/the Gorillas @ Eglin one of the other casual dudes was called out by the SQ/CC in front of about 30 guys during a roll call for having is peter pocket intact. Poor bastard!

Cutting off your pen flap isn't a fighter thing, its a pilot thing. Fighter guys cut off their 'Peter Pocket' because they have that pocket on the G-suit. Since us trash haulers don't wear G-suits, we leave it be...that is unless you are gay. When I was casual w/the Gorillas @ Eglin one of the other casual dudes was called out by the SQ/CC in front of about 30 guys during a roll call for having is peter pocket intact. Poor bastard!

Ya the pen flap was never a "fighter thing" is was always just "the right thing to do." But like the mach tuck on the hat (which was originally a heavy thing) if we start calling it a fighter thing, it will become that.

In fact, our life support automatically cuts that flap off when you give them a new flight suit.

In all honestly though, i really asked the question initially because I thought it was just assumed that all pilots cut off the flap. To see that there are pilots that defend not doing it, is just shocking to me. :rainbow::bohica:

Ya its a small issue, but so is wearing reflective belts....and I dont do that :flipoff:

(Scooter, you are still cool)

Jeez, I know what is a disturbing trend... the fact that you think people with pen flaps on is a disturbing trend. Before I read your post I thought you were going to talk about the recent helo shootdowns or the possibility of al-Qeada backed by Iranian money but here we are talking about pen flaps.

Stiffler,

I always carry a pen and pencil set that are plated with 24K gold. They were a gift to me from my recently passed Grandfather who flew B-17s in WWII. Every time I carry them while flying, I feel like he is with me, keeping me safe. If that pen flap keeps those pens from falling out of my flight suit every time I raise my hand to answer a question or comb my brown hair, I think it's a pretty good idea to keep it attached. I know you're probably disturbed by this, but I think I have a good reason. Keep up the good threads, bro!

That is a legit reason...I am assuming then that all the guys with their flap attached have their grandfathers pens;-) Jk dude

Im going to the container for a month...unfortunately I wont be around the forum. I know I know, Ill be missed!

For those of you that say stuff like "I thought this was gonna be about serious stuff like Iran's IED's, how dare you make such a serious sounding topic about such a small thing" relax. No reason to get worked up or angry, i posted this in good humor. For those that dont find it funny, go read my "Annual Am I gay self exam" in squadron bar. Maybe Ill redeem myself then! Ah, maybe not

:beer:

Guest NoleMet
Yeah I'll follow just the same with "Who cares?" Why are we talking about this?

I don't know, why are you reading this?