Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

41 minutes ago, MooseClub said:

Thanks for the info and congrats on the new job!  That’s killer

Good point on the GI Bill. Haven’t transferred it yet but I’ll def check into it before I do. 

How far out did you get your application submitted so that you got the job while still on terminal?  What’s a reasonable time to expect from submission to interview/ offer?  Apologies I’m not asking this in the Airline thread but...I’m being lazy and killing two birds 

Since I knew I had a 10% chance of being promoted, I had my applications to the big 5 complete well ahead of time, hit publish the night I got my notice of second passover and guessed my date of availability. AFPC established my DOS of 31 Dec 17, got my legacy invite on October 27th, CJO was Dec 7th, and started indoc Jan 23rd.

That being said, everyone's timeline is different. But if you haven't started the applications yet, they're a bitch. I submitted for my Drivers License history, FOIA'd my NDR (National Drivers Registry) history, ordered all of my official college transcripts, got friends to write Letters of Recommendations, had to do the consulting/resume/application review, etc. The process took ~3 months. The applications themselves are worse than an SF-86.

Edited by xaarman

49 minutes ago, xaarman said:

Since I knew I had a 10% chance of being promoted, I had my applications to the big 5 complete well ahead of time, and hit publish the night I got my notice of second passover and guessed my date of availability. AFPC established my DOS of 31 Dec 17, got my legacy invite on October 27th, CJO was Dec 7th, and started indoc Jan 23rd.

That being said, everyone's timeline is different. But if you haven't started the applications yet, they're a bitch. I had to submit for my Drivers License history, FOIA my NDR (National Drivers Registry), order all of my official college transcripts, get friends to write Letters of Recommendations, do the consulting/resume/application review, etc. The applications are worse than an SF-86.

That’ll be my plan...ready to hit submit soon as I get the word

Good thing I’ll have time to get my Delta TS/SCI investigation, oh I mean application ready!

7 hours ago, pawnman said:

Meanwhile, a comm squadron is a comm squadron anywhere in the Air Force, so there's a greater chance to command one as an O-4.

I agree, but want to point out this is changing as we move from a support function to mission defense and operations role.

29 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

I agree, but want to point out this is changing as we move from a support function to mission defense and operations role.

Do you think that will force your commanders to be chosen later/higher ranking?

On 11/1/2018 at 6:13 AM, cragspider said:

Yes our numbers are thin. I know about half the guys from our YG that I know are already out. Most are in the Airlines already and ARC.  As for the O-5 board there where a few btz from my peers this past so we shall see. I know if I wasn’t a “late” rated pilot I’d be out in the airlines by now. It’s not that I’m not paitrotic but the miss management is so bad now I’d rather go we’re we are valued more than a number. QOL you name it once you have a family changes a lot of things. The next round of CC’s could be interesting for sure. 

You write like you went to state school on a short bus...and I went to a state school.

• Haha 3

On 11/3/2018 at 4:58 AM, Jetpilot said:

I would think ascension into the upper ranks (O-5 and higher) should incorporate multiple means of evaluation i.e. performance reports, pedigree (as in tactical proficiency, previous leadership positions held, WIC/Whitehouse Fellow/Olmsted etc.), references from previous commanders, and an interview between you and the board.  The current promotion system is another example of how the USAF hides behind a "paper bureaucracy" without really knowing who they are selecting.  I have seen it time and time again where a "meh" officer is selected over someone genuinely deserving.  I believe by opening up the playing field regarding the person's record, we would be able to de-escalate the significance of stratification whether it is an actual number stratification or top/middle/bottom ranking.    

I do realize that my suggestions would come at an administrative/logistical cost and the only solution I can think of is to not have promo boards by AFSC, but maybe conduct them at an even more specialized level and have them by parent MAJCOM.  The con with this idea is that we might run into a situation where there are less GO's who can cross disciplines. 

Job title weighed with performance in that job title, with a limit to the "score" based on the job... kind of like the Olympics, asst chief of squadron safety - highest possible score of 40 out of 100, Squadron commander highest possible score of 90, etc... when I look at people's record, strats were always secondary to job title (especially in a squadron of 50+ peers).  Chief of Stan/Eval in a Sqd of 100 pilots, you probably rock... same yr group, everything else equal - asst secretary of mobility but you are CGO of the year - you probably don't rock as much.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I know an SFS O-5 that's on their 2nd SQ/CC tour (one before IDE/Staff). 

On 11/3/2018 at 4:04 PM, pawnman said:

Do you think that will force your commanders to be chosen later/higher ranking?

Like Fuzz says we've got a number of 2-time commanders, and a lot of O-4 Sq/CC's now.  Per AFPC we're all in for command, no declinations, I think that's more a product of 2 AFSC RIFs and the Hunger Games in '14-'16.

It's hard to say if we're going to go older since the domain is so new.  We're shoe-horning it into what the AF knows (Flt-Sq-Grp) but I don't think it's going to last.  It's not how we operate (more team/capes focused).  This is an area other service models *might* make more sense?  Some of our older commanders struggle with the compliance vs. ops mindset.

If they'd just split the fucking AFSC we'd have a much easier time.

1 hour ago, 17D_guy said:

Like Fuzz says we've got a number of 2-time commanders, and a lot of O-4 Sq/CC's now.  Per AFPC we're all in for command, no declinations, I think that's more a product of 2 AFSC RIFs and the Hunger Games in '14-'16.

It's hard to say if we're going to go older since the domain is so new.  We're shoe-horning it into what the AF knows (Flt-Sq-Grp) but I don't think it's going to last.  It's not how we operate (more team/capes focused).  This is an area other service models *might* make more sense?  Some of our older commanders struggle with the compliance vs. ops mindset.

If they'd just split the fucking AFSC we'd have a much easier time.

This is why splitting AFSCs on promotion boards would be helpful. It prevents flyers from having to compete with guys who are sitting or graduated squadron commanders in the same year group.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, pawnman said:

This is why splitting AFSCs on promotion boards would be helpful. It prevents flyers from having to compete with guys who are sitting or graduated squadron commanders in the same year group.

No doubt, I was more along the lines of splitting those doing cyber ops from you normal Comm sq (IT) dude.  One's ops, ones compliance...but we're 1 AFSC because it's easier for AFPC to manage use that way.

11 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wasn't told all the OPR secrets. But on track for command versus ready for command is like night and day correct?  

From my experience (limited) if you have “ready for ###” it is not good.

Also, found out that my 3APZ PRF that was sent up was a full one, not a 2-liner.

12 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wasn't told all the OPR secrets. But on track for command versus ready for command is like night and day correct?  

Sorry man, but with that push and a P you’ll probably be joining the ranks of us passed over types.  Best of luck though.  With the rates of those getting promoted with only a P going down this year, getting that DP is key.  I’d recommend meeting with your senior rater for a chat before he does the rack and stack, especially if they don’t know you well.  Better he has a face to put to the package (STS) that might at least make them think a bit vice remaining faceless and being an easy push into the P pile.

34 minutes ago, soupafly06 said:

Sorry man, but with that push and a P you’ll probably be joining the ranks of us passed over types.  Best of luck though.  With the rates of those getting promoted with only a P going down this year, getting that DP is key.  I’d recommend meeting with your senior rater for a chat before he does the rack and stack, especially if they don’t know you well.  Better he has a face to put to the package (STS) that might at least make them think a bit vice remaining faceless and being an easy push into the P pile.

That appears to be the bottom line... The box the senior rater checks is far more important than what the push line says.

13 minutes ago, pawnman said:

That appears to be the bottom line... The box the senior rater checks is far more important than what the push line says.

That depends of course on which box is checked. The BL can be supremely important if P is checked. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, pawnman said:

What if it just says SQ/CC followed by X...?

The push line is all about the strat.  The rest helps to support it.  The push for command is simply that.  It needs to be on there, along with a plug for school & staff.  I guess in the absence of a stratification, the wordsmithing may carry more weight, but I think we are pretty far down in the weeds on this one.  

So in my limited experience those with truly the HPO stink usually say something like this...

Junior Captain—Future Squadron Commander

Senior Captain—Will Command an Ops Squadron

Junior Major—Will Command at Multiple Levels

Going to IDE—IDE next followed by ASG and Ops Sqd Command (usually after boarded to be a cc)

Groom/Monitor/Ready for command—-better than not having it in the pushline but not spectacular either.

Need a DP or the “if I had one more or if I had a DP to give” is necessary based on the amount of SRs there are vs Ps that got promoted to O-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2018 at 5:13 AM, Skitzo said:

So in my limited experience those with truly the HPO stink usually say something like this...

Junior Captain—Future Squadron Commander

Senior Captain—Will Command an Ops Squadron

Junior Major—Will Command at Multiple Levels

Going to IDE—IDE next followed by ASG and Ops Sqd Command (usually after boarded to be a cc)

Groom/Monitor/Ready for command—-better than not having it in the pushline but not spectacular either.

Need a DP or the “if I had one more or if I had a DP to give” is necessary based on the amount of SRs there are vs Ps that got promoted to O-5.

Assuming you're talking about pilots, those seem like prohibited statements. "When making an assignment recommendation on an OPR, there will be no reference to a higher grade, and it must be consistent with the officer’s appropriate progression of their professional development."

"3.17.4.5.2. Prohibited EXAMPLES:

3.17.4.5.2.1. “Make Lt Triska an FSS Commander.” (Inappropriate next level of progression).

3.17.4.5.2.2. “Send Capt Brown to IDE after selection to major.” (Reference to IDE is appropriate, but the comment “after selection to major” is an implied promotion statement).

3.17.4.5.2.3. “SDE in 2008, Group Commander in 2012, and Wing Commander in 2015.” (Goes beyond the scope of the next assignment).

3.17.4.5.2.4. “Capt Phelps is ready to be a flying Sq/CC” and “Make Maj Knisley a group commander.” (In both cases, the recommendations are clearly beyond the officer’s next assignment and are viewed as veiled promotion statements).

I was recently told that deployment history is now masked. Any truth to this? If so, that’s a crock of shit. We’re booting people over their inability to deploy, but not recognizing those that do (especially when non-flying deployments may result in needing a requal, causing one to have an extended period where they’re not doing their primary or add’l duties).

I was recently told that deployment history is now masked. Any truth to this? If so, that’s a crock of shit. We’re booting people over their inability to deploy, but not recognizing those that do (especially when non-flying deployments may result in needing a requal, causing one to have an extended period where they’re not doing their primary or add’l duties).

It has been masked for a while if I remember right. That’s why SRs are putting it in the PRF: “9-time deployer” & “deployed DO” etc.

Ref the illegal statements...yes they are unless you’re a HPO. I’ve seen OPRs for non-HPO get kicked back for veiled promotion statements and non-veiled promotion statements stay on HPO OPRs.

41 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

It has been masked for a while if I remember right. That’s why SRs are putting it in the PRF: “9-time deployer” & “deployed DO” etc.

Ref the illegal statements...yes they are unless you’re a HPO. I’ve seen OPRs for non-HPO get kicked back for veiled promotion statements and non-veiled promotion statements stay on HPO OPRs.

I also have combat hours and combat sorties on the PRF.

It's another symptom of "you promote what you value".  Mask deployments, and you'll promote people who don't deploy.