Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Need some advice here. I will PCS to UPT with the wife in the next couple of months. We are trying to figure out the most "productive" means of doing this. My view of "productive" is DITY $$$$$ while she wants peace of mind and ease. I have heard so many different tactics that I don't quite know where to start. I'm allowed 13,000lbs which we will probably get close to. I'm ANG - not AD if that makes a difference.

13,000 lbs to UPT!?! I understand that you're ANG and thus likely not a 21 year old newlywed, but have you moved recently that you know how much you have? I don't think I even got close to 10,000 lbs on my first three moves.

Your options all depend on how much work you are willing to put in and just because you have TMO move 100% of your stuff does not mean you have no work to do. If you really have 13,000 lbs, TMO will tell you that it'll take three days to pack your house, which means you have three days of babysitting the movers to make sure they're not stealing/breaking/whatever all of your prized possessions. And if you have them unpack for you (read: take stuff out, unwrap it, and set it on the floor wherever there's room) you will have to supervise that and put everything where it goes anyway. The way I look at it is that I would rather take a week and pack everything myself so it won't break and take a week to unpack slowly so everything ends up where it belongs (read: your wife unpacks most of it because you're going to UPT and she is going to be the one spending time at home and will probably want to organize it all anyway). I've done two full DITY's and two full TMO moves and I much prefer the DITY's, but maybe I'm just obsessive compulsive. If you do the DITY - get a much bigger truck than you think you'll need. The price difference is usually pretty small and is well worth it.

Check out move.mil...one of the pamphlets has the definition of this, but it's something like single-axle 8x12 with no side higher than 28 inches and a gate no taller than 4 ft unless removable. If you claim the weight and the trailer doesn't qualify, it might bite you if you're audited.

That is true. I bought a double axel 16' x 7' when it counted. The rule changed after that so I only got to claim it for one move. BUT, that trailer has paid for itself many times. You are most likely going to have a wife and kids one day. The amount of crap you will need just to keep the family going for the possible two weeks until you get your stuff, continually increases. Besides, it also makes a good storage locker when living on base housing.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know how often the 10 day rule for TLE gets waived? I recently PCS'd and now that my new house is ready, the moving company is telling me they are too busy to deliver for another two weeks. They originally told us there was no need to schedule early and to just call a few days before we wanted our stuff. That was a couple weeks ago, and now they say that since there are so many people PCSing they can't do it for two weeks. The DFAS website states that it is waiverable to 60 days total, but I talked to finance and while they said that they will absolutely do eveything they can to get it approved (I actually believe them), it is a SAF waiver requirement and they have their doubts.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Does anyone know how often the 10 day rule for TLE gets waived? I recently PCS'd and now that my new house is ready, the moving company is telling me they are too busy to deliver for another two weeks. They originally told us there was no need to schedule early and to just call a few days before we wanted our stuff. That was a couple weeks ago, and now they say that since there are so many people PCSing they can't do it for two weeks. The DFAS website states that it is waiverable to 60 days total, but I talked to finance and while they said that they will absolutely do eveything they can to get it approved (I actually believe them), it is a SAF waiver requirement and they have their doubts.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Rarely does it get waived and when it does it doesn't apply to individual situations but rather situations that affect all who are PCSing in or out. TLE is not to pay for everything but to help offset costs. You also still receive BAH and DLA. DLA is to also help "defray" the extraordinary cost of a PCS move. If your scenario doesn't fall in to one of the two categories below, don't get your hopes up. Having said all this, there is nothing to prevent you from applying for the waiver. AF/A1PA reviews all the requests.

RE: JFTR U5710 TLE Time Limitations

5. 60 days for a PCS to a CONUS PDS for which the Secretaries Concerned have collectively prescribed a

temporary increase due to:

a. a major disaster (PDS must be located in a Presidentially-declared disaster area), or

b. the PDS is experiencing a sudden increase in number of members assigned.

Recently I had to move locally and I did a DITY move. I decided to pack up everything and unpack and hired a local company to move it all for me. It was around 3,500 lbs and should of been 1,500 bucks. It cost me 500 bucks to hire the company. Anyways I was told I had to put expenses down of the moving company and that money is basically gone. So out of the 1,500 I was automatically down to 1000 and then the govt would take 28% in taxes. So he told me to expect a check of around 700 dollars. But I asked well I just paid 500 to the moving company and that doesnt make sense because the government would be paying me 700 out of the allowed 1,500. I basically had to pay the 500 twice. After explaining this for over 15 minutes he said well I could just not claim it as an expense but they would tax the whole 1,500 at 28% which I said um ok? Its still more money that way than the way you're telling me. Has anyone had any problems with this before? So now I should be getting a check around a grand so I should pocket around 500 of it but the whole process seems jacked up.

Recently I had to move locally and I did a DITY move. I decided to pack up everything and unpack and hired a local company to move it all for me. It was around 3,500 lbs and should of been 1,500 bucks. It cost me 500 bucks to hire the company. Anyways I was told I had to put expenses down of the moving company and that money is basically gone. So out of the 1,500 I was automatically down to 1000 and then the govt would take 28% in taxes. So he told me to expect a check of around 700 dollars. But I asked well I just paid 500 to the moving company and that doesnt make sense because the government would be paying me 700 out of the allowed 1,500. I basically had to pay the 500 twice. After explaining this for over 15 minutes he said well I could just not claim it as an expense but they would tax the whole 1,500 at 28% which I said um ok? Its still more money that way than the way you're telling me. Has anyone had any problems with this before? So now I should be getting a check around a grand so I should pocket around 500 of it but the whole process seems jacked up.

They should pay you the 95% cost either way. What you claim as expenses should only affect what portion of the 1500 is taxed. You are claiming it cost you 500 to move, so they should tax the 1000 you are making as profit. For your situation then, with that tax rate, you should be getting around 1200.

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

Ryder,

Seriously is exactly right and your TMO guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Th 95% of the government's cost to move your stuff isn't an entitlement and is therefore taxable at your tax rate. No one knows what your tax rate is, so they take 28% from what you receive and pay it in the form of taxes. Now, you file your expenses, because only what you receive in excess of what you actually spent is considered taxable.

Here's where I wanted to comment. You will receive a W-2 for this move. When you file your taxes be sure to include the information on both your DITY W-2 as well as your normal Air Force pay W-2, along with all other documentation for wages you received and taxes you paid. When you file your taxes, you will get a portion of the money the Air Force is sending to the IRS back (assuming you are not actually in a 28% tax bracket). The form you fill out, along with the tax tables, will identify that you will have overpaid on your taxes and you will receive a larger refund than you otherwise would have received. So, you'll get more in the long run, as long as you remember to file your taxes correctly by including the information on your DITY W-2 on your tax form 1040.

While I said "form" above, you will get the appropriate refund regardless of whether you fill the information out by hand on a 1040, using software, or an on-line tax filing service.

Ok thanks guys. I didn't think the dude knew what he was talking about. He said he knew for a fact though that when I put expenses down I didn't get that back at all and I told him that made no sense. So as it stands I'll be getting taxed on all 1,500 of it instead of 1,000 of it. Is there a way to recover that money or did he screw me over?

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

Ok thanks guys. I didn't think the dude knew what he was talking about. He said he knew for a fact though that when I put expenses down I didn't get that back at all and I told him that made no sense. So as it stands I'll be getting taxed on all 1,500 of it instead of 1,000 of it. Is there a way to recover that money or did he screw me over?

There are a couple of ways to recover the money:

1. TMO should let you file an amendment to let you get the money now. I've not done this before, so I'm not sure how much trouble this is. Even when you do it, you're not going to see the full amount you should receive until you file your taxes.

2. You would have complete control over how much you are reimbursed if you choose to wait until you file taxes and file an IRS Form 3093 with your 1040 as an adjustment to your income. Essentially, this form will capture those expenses which were not claimed when you filed your voucher (do not include the cost of hotels on IRS Form 2093 line 2 if you did not exceed your daily lodging per diem amount; only include the amount of reimbursement from the government on line 4 if you do not receive a W-2 from the government for your move).

If you want to increase your monthly take-home pay and take option 2, and you received a refund last year from the IRS, you could adjust your withholding through myPay. There are a couple of different values you could choose for your withholding amount, depending on how willing you would be to accept the possibility of a tax bill in April, but each calculation requires more information. You can try the IRS Withholding Calculator which will recommend a withholding amount which should keep you from owing too much in the way of taxes while also maximizing your take-home pay.

Guest Dunce

When you PCS what is the luggage allotment? I am PCSing overseas and I think I remember active military on orders gets like 3 bags up to 70 pounds but I can't recall. Thank you!

orders will say 2 per person (up to 70 lbs each), but check the airline baggage policy; many airlines will allow military travelling on orders up to 3 large bags per without incurring extra fees. If you take the rotator (Patriot Express), it's 2 bags per.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had experience shipping garden tools from the UK back to the US? Given the somewhat recent hoof and mouth disease problem over here I've been warned that this may be difficult if the items are not spotless. All of the items were previously shipped from the US and have not been used outside of my backyard (and some have not even been taken out of my garage). It seems silly to have to make them look new again at this point.

I've heard numerous problems shipping cars; ie. having them rejected for shipping due to dirt/debris, but nothing about household goods.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I brush, a bucket of water followed up by a can a black spray paint and my tools looked like new. After 3 OCONUS(Germany) to CONUS PCS moves, I have never had a problem. I also took the packers advice and had them list the "garden tools" as anything but that to avoid unnecessary USDA attention.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Crew Report

I'm currently in the middle of a Partial DITY PCS move (currently on leave en route). I accidentally lost my gas receipts from my losing base to my current leave location. I have proof of where/when I purchased the gas via my banking account statements. When I get to my gaining base can I file lost receipt form for the gas (about $240)? Also, does finance or TMO actually pay for gas while doing a Partial DITY move, or do you just use the receipts to claim on your taxes?

I'm currently in the middle of a Partial DITY PCS move (currently on leave en route). I accidentally lost my gas receipts from my losing base to my current leave location. I have proof of where/when I purchased the gas via my banking account statements. When I get to my gaining base can I file lost receipt form for the gas (about $240)? Also, does finance or TMO actually pay for gas while doing a Partial DITY move, or do you just use the receipts to claim on your taxes?

If memory serves me correctly, you don't really need the gas receipts. You'll get reimbursed for mileage, no matter what you paid for gas. This is independent of the DITY. As for the DITY, you will pay taxes on the PROFIT made, meaning the difference between what the USAF pays for the DITY and your expenses (gas, etc). In the remote chance that the IRS audits your taxes, the receipts would be useful. I've never had an IRS audit, but I suspect that they don't assume you moved without reasonable gas expenses. Your banking account statements would probably be sufficient.

Guest Justshootme

Anyone know any possible way that I could get some reimbursement for towing my 12 ft pop-up camper? It completely blows my mind that they will ship a 4,000lb boat, but not my 1800 lb trailer. I've been told I can empty it and get paid for the contents, but that's only a couple hundred #'s.

Anyone know any possible way that I could get some reimbursement for towing my 12 ft pop-up camper? It completely blows my mind that they will ship a 4,000lb boat, but not my 1800 lb trailer. I've been told I can empty it and get paid for the contents, but that's only a couple hundred #'s.

This is why this thread is 14 pages long.

- No.

A14.6.2.1. The weight of a camper or POV with a previously installed camper shell, built-in HHG and any other previously installed equipment is to be included in the tare weight of a personally procured HHG move

What if he throws a moped in the trailer and calls it an "associated motorcycle trailer"??? Also, every link I've found for estimates for DITY moves is broken. Do any of you have correct links to an online estimater? How much could I make hauling a 7x14 trailer full of stuff 1000 miles?

Several questions...

I am PCSing from McChord to Columbus, TDY enroute to Randolph. I know the DOD mileage rates for both TDY and PCS. My question is, will I get the TDY or the PCS rate for my move - being that I'm TDY Enroute? I'm assuming since I am "PCSing to Columbus", I will receive the 0.165 rate.

Also, question about TLE...do I have to show any type of lodging receipts to qualify for TLE. I'm still at Randolph but my family has already located to Columbus. I know I'm authorized up to 10 days.

Do I get Family Separation Allowance for my TDY. The family stayed behind at TCM while I've been here.

Lastly, does anyone know a current DITY rate calculator. I'm moving about 2000 lbs over 2500 miles....just want an estimate.

Thanks

Several questions...

I am PCSing from McChord to Columbus, TDY enroute to Randolph. I know the DOD mileage rates for both TDY and PCS. My question is, will I get the TDY or the PCS rate for my move - being that I'm TDY Enroute? I'm assuming since I am "PCSing to Columbus", I will receive the 0.165 rate.

Also, question about TLE...do I have to show any type of lodging receipts to qualify for TLE. I'm still at Randolph but my family has already located to Columbus. I know I'm authorized up to 10 days.

Do I get Family Separation Allowance for my TDY. The family stayed behind at TCM while I've been here.

Lastly, does anyone know a current DITY rate calculator. I'm moving about 2000 lbs over 2500 miles....just want an estimate.

Thanks

You get 0.165/mile for both legs of travel. Even though it's a TDY enroute the entire travel is considered PCS.

You do need lodging receipts for TLE. If lost, you can file a lost receipt but most anyone can get a duplicate from the Hotel or billeting.

FSA-Toro's Answer checks

I found this from a link on BASEOPS.NET -- http://pptas.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/pptacalc/index.jsp but appears the link is broken. Link was found on this page--http://www.baseops.net/faq.html

I think this may be the current link: https://www.navsup.navy.mil/navsup/ourteam/comfiscs/prod_serv/household/per_pro_moves

This one might work from a .MIL domain (didn't work for me at home): http://jppso-sat.randolph.af.mil/weight-estimator.asp

This is an interesting .com site: http://www.ditymovers.com/index.php

But it appears this US TRANSCOM Site may the the DoD Official site: http://www.move.mil/home.htm

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

Several questions...

Thanks

Also, keep track of your mileage in the local area of Randolph, even keeping a daily log--those miles are separately reimbursable. As long as there is no government vehicle available for your use, POV miles between your TDY lodging location, your place of duty, and eating establishments are typically reimbursable at %.50 per mile. Previously, travelers needed to fill out a separate form, SF 1164, logging each POV leg, including date and purpose of each for reimbursement. It wasn't always the case that someone would remind the traveler to fill out this form, as it was submitted separately from the travel voucher. I don't know if it was standard practice, but our RA took to forms and processed the payment for us. Now, however, I think it is in the PiPs system along with the other forms you fill out following your TDY.

It could be helpful to just download the form and keep track of everything right on that--it's a little tedious, but even 10/15 miles per day for 3 months is worth and additional $675.

Edit: SF 1164 is used only for documenting mileage in/around permanent duty station, for instance, to claim reimbursement for an off-site or for an Honor Guard out-and-back day trip. Claiming in/around miles in a DTS voucher is simple: Expense tab, Mileage section, select "Pvt Auto-In/Around." I can't find a place to claim in/around miles in PiPS for mileage accrued during an en route TDY during a PCS.

Edited by Touch & Go Rentals

I have heard of claiming mileage, and am doing that, but have never heard of using that form.

Finance Guy, how do I claim the mileage....I'm staying at a house off-base, renting a room. Do I use the form mentioned above. Do I need to provide a Mapquest type document which has the address? What about claiming claiming mileage for grabbing dinner, etc...I have never heard of that. My quick search of the JFTR didn't show anything other than claiming mileage.

Thanks!

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

Wow I have never heard of getting local legs reimbursed during a TDY enroute! So this is legit?

Absolutely! Take a look at JFTR para U3510. The traveler must furnish documentation stating government transportation was not available/suitable, and it must be for official purposes, which includes travel to eating establishments if they are not located at/near lodging location or place of duty. You can't claim mileage used for entertainment purposes or personal reasons, only for mileage between duty locations, lodging facility, and eating establishments. The AO must authorize the reimbursement, but I have never had any reimbursement request even questioned. As a DTS reviewer, I would often catch vouchers which didn't claim Travel In/Around TDY location and encourage the traveler to add it--never had a problem with an AO objecting to reimbursement. Generally, if government transportation isn't available and quarters/dining facility aren't available near the duty location, because POV use in the TDY area is usually cheaper than taxis or a rental vehicle, approving local mileage is a no-brainer. In DTS, you can claim local mileage on a voucher using "Pvt Auto-In/Around" in the "Mileage" section of the "Expenses" tab.

Finance Guy, how do I claim the mileage.

I have the same question, after further research... my experience below.

PCS Mileage (MALT) is claimed differently than TDY mileage. Finance Guy alluded to claiming mileage in the local TDY area in a separate thread. PCS mileage, historically claimed in the itinerary section of a DD 1351-2, is now claimed in PiPS which automatically generates a DD-1351-2, including the itinerary. Several years ago when I PCS'd to Grand Forks, TDY en route through Altus, I asked the Finance office how to claim my local mileage at Altus AFB. Finance told me tI complete an SF 1164 and file through my Resource Advisor; however, recent review of DODFMR Volume 9, Ch 8, PROCESSING TRAVEL CLAIMS - OTHER THAN DEFENSE TRAVEL SYSTEM, para 080502 states specifically SF 1164 must not be used for reimbursement of fares or mileage for use of POC in conjunction with TDY travel (SF 1164 is used only for expenses at the permanent duty station). Maybe the Finance office was confused and thought I was talking about travel in the PDS area.

At any rate, I can't find a place in PiPS to document local travel at a TDY en route location as a reimbursable expense--in PiPS I can find only one place to claim TDY mileage: within Reimbursable Expenses on the Travel Voucher tab, "Terminal mileage--privately owned conveyance (POC)", which, without further guidance, is probably what I would use to document in/around miles, and then I would note the miles are actually local miles in/around the TDY area. It would be pretty tedious, as each date has to be entered separately.

Do I need to provide a Mapquest type document which has the address? What about claiming claiming mileage for grabbing dinner, etc...I have never heard of that.

I've never had to provide documentation to support my mileage claims; however, JFTR U3505, which provides rules for reimbursement for both local travel in & around TDY location states "actual odometer readings or other acceptable evidence of the actual necessary distance" is the basis for conducting official business. I have used both odometer readings recorded in a notebook and maps.google.com to request mileage reimbursement, but I have only reported the distance traveled and provided no other documentation--I had the substantiating records in case someone asked, but no one has ever asked.

I have heard of claiming mileage, and am doing that, but have never heard of using that form.

Finance Guy, how do I claim the mileage....I'm staying at a house off-base, renting a room. Do I use the form mentioned above. Do I need to provide a Mapquest type document which has the address? What about claiming claiming mileage for grabbing dinner, etc...I have never heard of that. My quick search of the JFTR didn't show anything other than claiming mileage.

Thanks!

I saw T&G's mention about 1164 not being used for TDY mileage but I think that means you can't use it as a stand alone claim. From all my dealings with Ellsworth, if you are claiming TDY local in/around mileage, you still use the SF 1164 to document the mileage and total everything up on those forms. Then claim that total on your DD FM 1351-2 in reimb. expenses. Put in TDY In/Around Mileage and in the amount block put the total # of miles.

It's not in PIPS/Efinance but you would claim it as mentioned above and then scan/fax in the 1164s as back up documentation for the voucher package.