AF discontinues ITDY dependent travel, transportation allowances

zach braff

Am I reading this right? AF will no longer move your family when they tag you for a 365?

zb

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123307526

6/26/2012 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Air Force officials announced a change to transportation and travel allowances for Airmen tasked with 365-day extended deployments, commonly referred to as an indeterminate TDY.

Effective July 1, the Air Force will no longer refer to a 365-day extended deployment as an ITDY since there are definitive TDY tour lengths, officials explained. The policy change will better align the Air Force with the Joint Federal Travel Regulation guidelines regarding ITDYs.

Previously, Airmen tasked for 365-day extended deployments received entitlements for dependent travel and transportation allowances. These allowances included dependent and household goods movement during the deployed period. Those entitlements will no longer be available effective July 1.

"The use of the term 'indeterminate' when Airmen are tasked for a pre-determined maximum deployment does not meet the intent of the JFTR," said Col. Ken Sersun, the Air Force Military Force Policy Division chief. "We understand discontinuing dependent travel and transportation allowances may be perceived as the removal of entitlements; however, the Air Force must comply with existing JFTR guidelines."

Airmen tasked before July 1 for future 365-day extended deployments will not be affected by the policy change.

Other programs associated with 365-day extended deployments are not affected at this time, Sersun said.

These programs include the "three-day option" that gives Airmen the option to either separate or retire in lieu of the deployment, as long as they make the decision within three days of assignment notification; "advanced assignment consideration," which gives deploying Airmen an opportunity to request advance assignment consideration upon selection; and "24-month assignment deferment," which gives deploying Airmen the option of requesting a 24-month assignment hold, following their return from deployment.

For more information about assignments, deployments and other personnel issues, visit the myPers website athttps://mypers.af.mil.

I know there's no fooling the JFTR on this one...but it seems just like another sad story of Big Blue doing less for its people.

It is easy to imagine scenarios where the dependent travel is a god-send for spouses stationed far from their extended family or hometown. (Having just wrapped a 36-month tour at Eielson...very easy to imagine)

Probably another reason we need to make Finance Guy king of his domain, so he can correct this problem.

Color me skeptical. If it's illegal under the JFTR, it's illegal now — not only July 1st and after. Seems way too convenient that all of a sudden they find this provision of the JFTR that we save money by suddenly being uber-compliant with, when the system has proved time and time again equally willing to screw us in contravention of the same document (or that could just be me inferring that after seeing so many errors to the governments benefit, they probably aren't errors but rather a strategy of screwing those without the patience or JFTR lawyering skills to fight for what they're entitled to).

"We understand discontinuing dependent travel and transportation allowances may be perceived as the removal of entitlements; however, the Air Force must comply with existing JFTR guidelines."

That's funny right there. "May be perceived"? How about "is".

Edited by Hvydvr

So, my ITDY CED orders said 999 on the "TDY length" part. That's about as indeterminate as you can get, but we all knew I was going to be in-country for 365. Looks like somebody decided to start putting 365 on the CED orders to get rid of the term "indeterminate," and subsequently this entitlement, further screwing AF families during this shitty time of life. Way to go, assholes. Another "win" for big blue.

Color me skeptical. If it's illegal under the JFTR, it's illegal now — not only July 1st and after. Seems way too convenient that all of a sudden they find this provision of the JFTR that we save money by suddenly being uber-compliant with, when the system has proved time and time again equally willing to screw us in contravention of the same document (or that could just be me inferring that after seeing so many errors to the governments benefit, they probably aren't errors but rather a strategy of screwing those without the patience or JFTR lawyering skills to fight for what they're entitled to).

The JFTR changes all the time. It could be a new revision that will be effective 1 Jul.

I know there's no fooling the JFTR on this one...but it seems just like another sad story of Big Blue doing less for its people.

It is easy to imagine scenarios where the dependent travel is a god-send for spouses stationed far from their extended family or hometown. (Having just wrapped a 36-month tour at Eielson...very easy to imagine)

Probably another reason we need to make Finance Guy king of his domain, so he can correct this problem.

Oh, you don't want to do that. I had heard that only about 15% of people took advantage of this entitlement anyway. Maybe they had to cut back here so AF could still afford to pay all those missed meals for crew rest--can't have everything you know.

Oh, you don't want to do that. I had heard that only about 15% of people took advantage of this entitlement anyway. Maybe they had to cut back here so AF could still afford to pay all those missed meals for crew rest--can't have everything you know.

Exactly. And those 15% probably really needed it. Add that 15% to the ever-growing disgruntled with the AF list. Also, whatever percentage of that 15% were volunteers, kiss that goodbye. That means more non-vol 365s since less people will volunteer after 1 July. Maybe they could afford to do both if we didn't waste money replacing perfectly function office furniture, or plasmas, or CBT development, or flying empty airplanes, etc. etc. Why is it that they have to take money from people's pockets to fix the budget? Why not cut waste first?

• Upvote 2

I was given two weeks' notice for a 365 to the Deid in 2009. They (AFPC) did not want to even talk to me, much less offer to move my family closer to relatives.

Sounds like your leadership let you down. AFPC won't offer you shit except a notification letter. There's no "entitlements brief" for an ITDY, if there was we'd bitch about another mandatory briefing on the out processing checklist anyway. It's on you and/or your leadership to get into the regs to find out whats happening and what you can do about it.

Sorry you had to do a year at the Died. That blows. Pretty sure I'd come home with some sort of NJP if I were so unlucky; probably for punching some assclown in the face outside the DFAC.

The notification letter directs the member to the AEF Online site which breaks down the entitlements.

I understand that I have an entitlement to relocate my dependents and household goods (HHGs) at government expense. If I elect an Advance Assignment, dependent travel MUST be completed BEFORE assignment is loaded in MilPDS (assignment will not be loaded until after your arrival in the AOR). See the AFPC ITDY Web Page at this link for complete entitlement message: https:!iaefatpc.randolph.af.milllndeterminate_TDYs,aspx
Edited by Homestar

Different pots of money... :banghead:

Under normal circumstances, true, but $$ can be reprogrammed between the pots at OSD level. Sometimes some pots need some help.

http://comptroller.defense.gov/execution/reprogramming/fy2012.html

I've done 11 deployments and never heard of anyone successfully filing for missed meals, despite being a 100% valid item.

I have, but those were only on days where we had sorties longer than the box nastys were good for....pretty much all of 'em in a BUFF. That netted me an extra $160 over 180 days TDY.

An F-22 squadron had EVERYONE (including maintainers) file all their missed meal forms en masse and ACC f**king approved for the exception clause which basically gives them off base per diem instead of processing 16000 individual missed meal vouchers: In Guam that's about 100 bucks a DAY (on a 120-180 day TDY!!!!) extra PLUS you could still eat at the chow hall!

Now I don't want that airman to have to pay it back if/when Finance comes a knockin' but that's pretty shitty for THOSE maintainers to tell OUR maintainers "We're getting a $12K bonus when we get home! How about you?"

"Oh...we get to go to Minot"

I have, but those were only on days where we had sorties longer than the box nastys were good for....pretty much all of 'em in a BUFF. That netted me an extra $160 over 180 days TDY.

An F-22 squadron had EVERYONE (including maintainers) file all their missed meal forms en masse and ACC f**king approved for the exception clause which basically gives them off base per diem instead of processing 16000 individual missed meal vouchers: In Guam that's about 100 bucks a DAY (on a 120-180 day TDY!!!!) extra PLUS you could still eat at the chow hall!

Now I don't want that airman to have to pay it back if/when Finance comes a knockin' but that's pretty shitty for THOSE maintainers to tell OUR maintainers "We're getting a $12K bonus when we get home! How about you?"

"Oh...we get to go to Minot"

There's nothing I hate more than somebody else getting a good deal.