Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Toro

Leadership at the 'Deid

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Duck said:

Does JohnQ know about this extortion? I don’t mean to complain, I know there are places where people would have paid anything to be able to skype home and there was no internet available. I just don’t get where free internet turned into $100/month.

It’s Al Udeid...”Always different, never better”

 

FWIW I got the $60/mo plan in Oct-Dec and it worked great for my laptop and phone.  It is a PITA to log in every time you switch buildings/routers but at least it works well once you’re logged in.

Edited by Bergman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The internet is free at the Deid and it's fast enough for Netflix, skype, phone calls etc.   There are pay options too if you want faster stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spaceman said:

True enough.  I think we'll just start sending someone off base for a shwarma run every day.

 

At least one of them delivers to the gate, if you call ahead...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro tip- get a router and split one login.  You can log on three devices at once and the router doesn't count against your total.  Four dudes/dudettes can share the most expensive plan for $45 out of pocket each.  Still a pain in the ass, but hey, fight the system however you can right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Duck said:

 I just don’t get where free internet turned into $100/month.

Trend item out here- services and contracting are incompetent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At least one of them delivers to the gate, if you call ahead...
I was about to say I need to find these guys because it would save a lot of time, but time is exactly what I'm looking to kill when I'm at work!

Pro tip- get a router and split one login.  You can log on three devices at once and the router doesn't count against your total.  Four dudes/dudettes can share the most expensive plan for $45 out of pocket each.  Still a pain in the ass, but hey, fight the system however you can right?
Dang that's a good idea, I might do that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got the government to fund the WiFi bill at another location/aor. Have to have WiFi to sync the pubs on our iPads. Boom. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Somebody is making ALOT of money off our backs.  I'd imagine the cyber dudes could hook up some people, not that I'm advocating for that......

You rang?

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah can we please have free unlimited fast wifi that covers the whole base?  The internet is really slow on my xbox and I'm getting tired of doing the crossword puzzles in Stars & Stripes at the DFAC.

Edited by spaceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spaceman said:

Yeah can we please have free unlimited fast wifi that covers the whole base?  The internet is really slow on my xbox and I'm getting tired of doing the crossword puzzles in Stars & Stripes at the DFAC.

You need to move your deployment location to Kuwait then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, the g-man said:

You need to move your deployment location to Kuwait then.

Just need to sell the AFCENT/CC on your new basing plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually can't really complain because AMD will soon be leaving the CAOC and setting up in a new CONUS facility.  So this rotation is finally the much desired end of AMD at Al Udeid!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, spaceman said:

I actually can't really complain because AMD will soon be leaving the CAOC and setting up in a new CONUS facility.  So this rotation is finally the much desired end of AMD at Al Udeid!

I could have sworn I just heard the many Horses of the Apocalypse.  And even better than AMD going stateside, it'd be a fine job for a gaggle of civilians.  They love inflexible processes.

Out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, Duck said:

Does JohnQ know about this extortion? I don’t mean to complain, I know there are places where people would have paid anything to be able to skype home and there was no internet available. I just don’t get where free internet turned into $100/month.

It was an AFCENT/A6 budgetary "initiative" in 2015...they uncovered some sort of policy issue with providing it anywhere except "common areas."  I don't recall all of the details, and I'd rather forget, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, spaceman said:

I actually can't really complain because AMD will soon be leaving the CAOC and setting up in a new CONUS facility.  So this rotation is finally the much desired end of AMD at Al Udeid!

It’s a shame that won’t stop them from being terrible. Nothing better than a C17 pilot trying to load 7 pallets on a c130H. ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It’s a shame that won’t stop them from being terrible. Nothing better than a C17 pilot trying to load 7 pallets on a c130H. ;)


Just put it on the ramp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Minus5 said:

It’s a shame that won’t stop them from being terrible. Nothing better than a C17 pilot trying to load 7 pallets on a c130H. ;)

Or fragging a 24 hour augmented FDP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 9:44 PM, spaceman said:

Yeah can we please have free unlimited fast wifi that covers the whole base?  The internet is really slow on my xbox and I'm getting tired of doing the crossword puzzles in Stars & Stripes at the DFAC.

I thought I was in heaven when I got regular mail service and read these things us old guys called letters that were soaked in perfume.  Coffee was those tasters choice packets out of a MRE. When we got 2 week old Stars and Stripes we scored, crap somebody beat me to the crossword.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

I thought I was in heaven when I got regular mail service and read these things us old guys called letters that were soaked in perfume.  Coffee was those tasters choice packets out of a MRE. When we got 2 week old Stars and Stripes we scored, crap somebody beat me to the crossword.

Are you going to yell at someone to get off your patch of sand next?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

Are you going to yell at someone to get off your patch of sand next?

Image result for gran torino memes

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that this place is even that bad; by deployed standards it's pretty decent. It's just so much crappier than it needs to be. We're like a half hour from a major city in one of the highest human development index countries in this part of the world, and yet many of the buildings are falling apart, the food is not great, and the comm infrastructure sucks (not just wifi, Nipr and Sipr outages are a constant occurance at work).

It's not like the war is right outside the gate, this base could be pretty nice if it wasn't run like a prison and treated like a dump by some of the people that live here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spaceman said:

It's not that this place is even that bad; by deployed standards it's pretty decent. It's just so much crappier than it needs to be. We're like a half hour from a major city in one of the highest human development index countries in this part of the world, and yet many of the buildings are falling apart, the food is not great, and the comm infrastructure sucks (not just wifi, Nipr and Sipr outages are a constant occurance at work).

It's not like the war is right outside the gate, this base could be pretty nice if it wasn't run like a prison and treated like a dump by some of the people that live here.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say pretty good by deployed standards...   Have you ever Ron’d at OAIX?  Ever been to the dining hall at ORBI? Ever got the flyers per diem or drank unlimited beers at the bowling alley in Turkey? So the Deid has a pool a Dairy Queen, some condemned buildings and no tobacco, pretty darn good...  Granted it’s no FOB but if I wanted to sleep in the dirt and eat MRE’s I would have joined the Marines...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the air forces version of “white privlidge”

complaining about internet speeds, dining halls, and fast food joints. Love it

you big base mother fuckers have it a lot better than most. Continue sport bitching please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wouldn’t go so far as to say pretty good by deployed standards...   Have you ever Ron’d at OAIX?  Ever been to the dining hall at ORBI? Ever got the flyers per diem or drank unlimited beers at the bowling alley in Turkey? So the Deid has a pool a Dairy Queen, some condemned buildings and no tobacco, pretty darn good...  Granted it’s no FOB but if I wanted to sleep in the dirt and eat MRE’s I would have joined the Marines...

What is the flyers per diem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×