Jump to content

Questions on the GI Bill (Tuition Aid)


Recommended Posts

33 yr, got masters before joining, no intentions of going back to school, not married, no kids...

Is my GI Bill just going to go to waste?  Sounds like I can save it (way down the road) for future spouse/dependent, or use it for additional aircraft ratings?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you posting from jail?

I worked in a SOC (Security Operations Center, think of a NOSC with cyber) for a software company but recently  was hired as a contractor on a MAF program. I will say cybersecurity, with education and

Same ADSC.  Once you opt to transfer it you can redistribute it as you see fit. If you have kids down the line and they are added to MilPDS, you can redistribute months to them with no additional ADSC

3 hours ago, rancormac said:

33 yr, got masters before joining, no intentions of going back to school, not married, no kids...

Is my GI Bill just going to go to waste?  Sounds like I can save it (way down the road) for future spouse/dependent, or use it for additional aircraft ratings?

Can't transfer it after you get out... but you can use it for some other types of education beyond normal college stuff. I haven't looked into it much but I believe you can take some trade skills training using it. Want to learn to weld? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

If you could turn 12 months of your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits (100%) into a $14,000 check, would you do it?

I got hired by a company where I need to get a type rating, and the employer would pay for the type rating. However, I can use my GI Bill benefits for the course and my employer would reimburse me because it reduces the total cost of the type rating because I'm using the GI Bill for it. Is it a waste of benefits? I'd still have about 9 months left over for an MBA someday. The VA website says it's worth about $33k for tuition, and then another $13,500-30k (depending where I'd go to school) of housing allowance for 12 months.

My oldest is 4 years old and I have some serious doubts about the availability and transferability 14 years from now. My wife won't be going back to school, and fairly certain I won't ever go to school full time again. Not the most bang for your buck, but cash today is worth more than cash tomorrow, right?? 

Edited by Rohhiram
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rohhiram said:

If you could turn 12 months of your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits (100%) into a $14,000 check, would you do it?

I got hired by a company where I need to get a type rating, and the employer would pay for the type rating. However, I can use my GI Bill benefits for the course and my employer would reimburse me because it reduces the total cost of the type rating because I'm using the GI Bill for it. Is it a waste of benefits? I'd still have about 9 months left over for an MBA someday. The VA website says it's worth about $33k for tuition, and then another $13,500-30k (depending where I'd go to school) of housing allowance for 12 months.

My oldest is 4 years old and I have some serious doubts about the availability and transferability 14 years from now. My wife won't be going back to school, and fairly certain I won't ever go to school full time again. Not the most bang for your buck, but cash today is worth more than cash tomorrow, right?? 

What's the value of $14,000 put into a 529 fund (or similar) when your kid turns 18? 14 years is a long time to let that build.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

@Royal, no personal experience but there are a lot of good options for veterans outside of using GO bill. Research what Syracuse University offers through Onward2Opportunity and also the VetTec program from the VA. 
 

And also recommend asking this same question on LinkedIn. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Royal said:

Fellas,

Has anyone here used their GI Bill for certification or training in the tech world?

The VA’s Voc Rehab program paid for my Master in Cybersecurity Risk Management from Georgetown after my G.I. Bill was gone. You have to be out of the military to use that program though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2020 at 3:55 AM, Sua Sponte said:

The VA’s Voc Rehab program paid for my Master in Cybersecurity Risk Management from Georgetown after my G.I. Bill was gone. You have to be out of the military to use that program though.

Thanks for the info. Have you spent much time in that sector yet? If so, how is it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 11:36 AM, Royal said:

Thanks for the info. Have you spent much time in that sector yet? If so, how is it?

I worked in a SOC (Security Operations Center, think of a NOSC with cyber) for a software company but recently  was hired as a contractor on a MAF program. I will say cybersecurity, with education and experience in artificial intelligence, is a great sector to be in the new few decades. I'm currently applying for a doctorates program in aviation and space at Oklahoma State and I hope to use my cybersecurity knowledge with advanced persistent threats (APTs) with modern aircraft computing systems.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...