Highest Pilot On Baseops

Stuck

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sent the link to this page to a friend at Beale...I'm not sure if his network lets him read this site though.

[ 22. November 2005, 06:57: Message edited by: Pogo ]

As a Hog guy...I just have to stay "high on life."

Actually, I do routinely coax the Hog (no stores and about half fuel) up the FL350 on FCFs (Functional Check Flights).

I was up to FL490 once in a Learjet 31a. Flew Lears for a few years while flying Hogs in the Guard. I think the service ceiling is 51,000. We were empty and light coming out of MSP and I was with the chief pilot. It's a smokin' little airplane. And I do mean little...hardest part of the job was getting in and out of the cockpit.

Guest ShadowNav090

I've been 350 in a Slick. Impressive for a C-130. What about Low? Got any low alt. Stories? (Preferably Fixed Wing guys)

-R17

C-21 Pilot,

Wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. The Bombardier spec sheet on the 31a lists 51,000 max operating altitude (I thought that is what I remembered, though it's been almost 6 years since I've flown one). Even going to FL490 probably wasn't the smartest thing I ever did.

http://www.omnijet.com/database/lear31a.pd...%20performance'

Maybe that's different from the Learjet 35 (C-21) or the military places a limited altitude on them.

Originally posted by Revolution 17:

...What about Low? Got any low alt. Stories?...

I don't even want to go there. The best you can do is tie that record.

Gives me the willies just talking about it...

Although I'll admit, I have a "friend" that used to "fly skydivers" and I have a pic of him doing a "go-around" if anyone has web space for "upload". DISREGARD: see my profile.

(Edited for hypocrisy)

(edited for photobucket)

[ 22. November 2005, 11:42: Message edited by: BFM this ]

Originally posted by B-O-double-Z:

C-21 Pilot,

Wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. The Bombardier spec sheet on the 31a lists 51,000 max operating altitude

The C-21 is nothing more than a 400-600 serial number Learjet 35A with a couple of additions. (Satcom, UHF) Both aircraft have a FL 450 limitation. (The reason being is that earlier 35's had a pressurization system that only was capable of 450. The later models, inluding the C-21's have a 510 system but Lear never went through the expense of recertifying the airframe. (not enough wing)

The Lear 31 is the same fuselage and engines as the 35, but with an additional six foot of wing and a winglet on eah side. There are some other differences also to include DEECS, avionics, ventral fins. The 31 is capable of 510. (You've gotta be light and ISA minus a bunch) I did it once when we were light coming out of KMKE on our way to KHOU. The most useful thing about the 31's capabilities were getting above most of the jetstream during the winter months westbound by popping up to 430 or 450 with traffic permitting. Nice increase in groundspeed and fuel burns on the other side of 500 pph.

Anybody who tells you they can see the curvature of the earth at 510 is full of crap.

[ 22. November 2005, 11:15: Message edited by: LJDRVR ]

Guest C-21 Pilot

LJDRVR hit it on the spot.

BTW, the C-21, as mentioned, can float up a bit higher. We were at 450 from LAX to ADW (Non-Stop!)...burned enough down w/ the ISA that we were in the green stall range...so I'd speculate we had another 2-3K of lift in the wings...but we didn't attempt.

I've also heard that the restriction has to do w/ our Emergency Pressurization valves in addition to what was said before.. Flight testing back in the late 1970's only validated up to FL 450 w/ one engine "CUTOFF" and the other mode in EMER PRESS...so they stopped there after drift down occurred.

Not the smartest thing I've ever done (not the dumbest either, believe it or not), but I bounced once while chasing deer off the runway.

Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by Toro:

410 in a T-38, high 30s in a Strike Eagle.

In the "good ole days" when there really wasn't a ceiling on the T-38 when I flew ACE, I think we

did a "mach" type cruise right up and flirted with

50K. Hard to breath, I remember that.

450 in the C21 is a scary thing if you ask me. Rarely can you get up that high anyways...has to be less than ISA in order to do it (95% of the time). I like to climb up to 430 when with annoying co-pilots...that way they can put the mask on and stop talking!!