Info on BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing)

Stiffler

Can someone please email me a link or some reg about this for guard members? I co-own my in-laws place and I'm living in a house on base here in Columbus. My unit says I get nothing because my wife and kid are here and "don't know anything" about owning/renting back at my home base. They said they would gladly help if I could find a reg or something. Anything have it? Thanks...

Simply put, if you are assigned Permanent Government quarters (base family housing or dormitory), you do not receive BAH. The only exception is if you stay in the dorm and have dependents elsewhere NOT assigned base family housing. A fiance is not a dependent and is not part of any determination of entitlements.

If TDY, you retain BAH of your PDS. If you PCS to school and stay in the dorms (no dependents), you get zero BAH regardless of any other rent/mortgage you pay elsewhere. Uncle Sam will not provide Govt QTRs and pay BAH.

Guest Viperfixr

I recently bought a house and am going off to UPT in early 08. As a single guy I will get a dorm to stay in at UPT but will NOT get BAH to cover my mortgage. However if I am married and attend UPT unaccompanied I would be allowed to stay in dorms on base and receive BAH. In the latter case do I receive home of record rate BAH or UPT base rate BAH?

I recently bought a house and am going off to UPT in early 08. As a single guy I will get a dorm to stay in at UPT but will NOT get BAH to cover my mortgage. However if I am married and attend UPT unaccompanied I would be allowed to stay in dorms on base and receive BAH. In the latter case do I receive home of record rate BAH or UPT base rate BAH?

HOR. My waiver is in process right now and I should hear something relatively soon, I'll post how it turns out.

• 1 month later...
Guest Viperfixr

This thread offers a lot of information regarding housing at UPT, my unit's finance is giving me a different answer each time I inquire, and speaking with Columbus base housing last week completely blew my mind. :banghead: I am so confused with all the different scenarios that I am requesting a reg so I can see it in BLACK AND WHITE. For now I'll take what I can get as far as advice.

First of all my situation.

-I am going to UPT at Columbus AFB, MS in March

-I am a Traditional Guard member and my unit is PCSing me to Columbus for Pilot training

-I am currently single planning to be married by the time I go to UPT - my fiance is also military(Traditional Guardsman on ADSW status) and will not accompany me to UPT.

-We bought a home in May and don't want to sell it prior to UPT

-Columbus AFB says that base housing is now "privatized (Pinnacle and Hunt)" - and that I will have to pay rent whether in the dorms or a base house

(does the military reimburse this?)

-Columbus AFB housing says that if you are married you are not authorized to stay in a dorm - there is a waiver for this that has to go through the O-6s.

-If I receive this waiver can I stay in the dorms, pay rent(which should be reimbursed?) and receive HOR - BAH to cover my mortgage for my house?

-My next question is since my wife to be is in the military(currently a traditional guardsman on ADSW Status) and not considered my dependent, would I get BAH for my home of record even if we are married?

-I am trying to plan my move to Columbus and want to know if I should plan on moving into a Dorm (I'm guessing is furnished with bed, desk, chair, kitchenette etc.) or am I going to be put in a house on base which is basically a shell. Big difference between moving clothes, toiletries, and a few odds & ends into a dorm, and pulling furniture and enough stuff to fill up a house on base.

I think best case scenario for me is to stay in the dorms and receive BAH for my Home of Record to cover the mortgage. I've heard so many what-ifs that I don't know what to expect. If I left out any vital information please feel free to belittle me until I get it to you-until then accept my apologies.

Anyone that can shed some light on this please do so - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I went through this EXACT situation a month ago when I PCS'd down here to Columbus. My wife was originally going to remain at my HOR but I got so frustrated w/ the situation that we eventually decided to bring her down here so I'd have a decent place to live.

-Columbus AFB says that base housing is now "privatized (Pinnacle and Hunt)" - and that I will have to pay rent whether in the dorms or a base house

(does the military reimburse this?)

Yes it is privatized, yes you will have to pay rent to live on base, and yes the military does "reimburse" this... through your BAH.

-Columbus AFB housing says that if you are married you are not authorized to stay in a dorm - there is a waiver for this that has to go through the O-6s.

This is what they told me, minus the waiver part. I brought it up with the Wing King during our newcomer's brief for the benefit of future FGG's in the similar situation. He said it was completely ridiculous, UOQ is for unaccompanied officers, not unmarried officers. What pissed me off even more was an AD buddy of mine in my class is married and his wife is at another base... and he is in the OUQ. I guess there is no love for the Guard.

There is no "official" waiver, but there is a reg that says the base commander has the final say about housing on base.... period dot. Privatized or not. I would recommend working this angle through the people on your base.

-If I receive this waiver can I stay in the dorms, pay rent(which should be reimbursed?) and receive HOR - BAH to cover my mortgage for my house?

The only "waiver" that is available is if you have a dependent remaining at your HOR while you PCS. If you maintain a residence and your wife goes with you to Columbus, its Columbus BAH for you.

If your wife remains at your HOR, and you come down here, you can get on a waiver for HOR BAH, which I worked through the education guy on my base who sent it up through the pentagon. You can only collect ONE BAH, therefore, any housing expenses you incur at Columbus, on base or off base, will come out of your pocket. So yes, from a certain point of view, the military does reimburse you.... kinda.

-My next question is since my wife to be is in the military(currently a traditional guardsman on ADSW Status) and not considered my dependent, would I get BAH for my home of record even if we are married?

From what I understand, she must be considered your Dependent for you to collect the BAH w/ Dependent rate... the only BAH that is eligible for the HOR waiver I described above.

-I am trying to plan my move to Columbus and want to know if I should plan on moving into a Dorm (I'm guessing is furnished with bed, desk, chair, kitchenette etc.) or am I going to be put in a house on base which is basically a shell. Big difference between moving clothes, toiletries, and a few odds & ends into a dorm, and pulling furniture and enough stuff to fill up a house on base.

I think best case scenario for me is to stay in the dorms and receive BAH for my Home of Record to cover the mortgage. I've heard so many what-ifs that I don't know what to expect. If I left out any vital information please feel free to belittle me until I get it to you-until then accept my apologies.

Anyone that can shed some light on this please do so - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

The best you can hope for under the privatized setup is collecting a HOR BAH and paying both your Mortgage and Columbus rent out of it. This would still be a waiver type situation to get into the UOQ under their current rules. Have your leadership at your base work the problem for you, you'll get nowhere just as I did as a 2LT.

PM me if you have any other questions. Also I'm curious what AMS class you were in.

~NH

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Heard this juicy one today...

The rumor is that when you are deployed, if your BAH is less than your mortgage payment, uncle sam will make up the difference. This can't be true or you could go buy a million dollar house and let the government make the payments for you.

Can someone kill this one for me? I feel stupid for even posting but you never know...

Edited by Herkguy

BAH is only supposed to cover 80% of your housing costs anyway

No, that is an old law. It's supposed to cover rent and bills "for the median member."

http://www.defensetr.../BAH-Primer.pdf

In computing BAH, we include local price data of: rental housing utilities (including electricity, gas, oil, water, & sewer) renter's insurance

Why doesn’t BAH cover all my housing costs? Or my mortgage payment?

One of the common misconceptions regarding BAH is that it is intended to cover all of a service member‟s housing costs. The original BAH law stated that the allowance could cover no more than 80% of calculated housing costs. Accordingly, the average service member had at least 20% in out-of-pocket expenses subtracted from their allowance calculation. In 2000, the Secretary of Defense committed to reducing the planned average out-of-pocket expense for the median member to zero by 2005.

Edited by nunya

Over here, you only get what the Germans who run the housing office think your place is worth. So while my cap is 1200 Euro, and I talked my landlord down to 1000 Euro, the damn housing office says it's only worth 820 euro. They base it off of "living space" square footage. They say they add some value for garages, but barely, and I don't have one. Since the heated/finished basement rooms are only accessible from the outside, they don't count as living space. No value was added for the shop out back.

The example the guy used basically showed that "their calculations" said my free-standing house (with two heated rooms in the basement, a huuuuge backyard, two-room building/shop) was worth the same as an apartment with the same sq footage. It's complete BS.

Edited by contraildash

Heard this juicy one today...

The rumor is that when you are deployed, if your BAH is less than your mortgage payment, uncle sam will make up the difference. This can't be true or you could go buy a million dollar house and let the government make the payments for you.

Can someone kill this one for me? I feel stupid for even posting but you never know...

Never heard of it. Must be only a rumor. And BAH is only to cover rental costs and not home purchases as others have mentioned.

• 2 months later...

I heard from a friend that there is a recent reg that says we get a tabled BAH rate for the 6 months between commissioning and EAD and it's in the range of 2700. He says he went into finance and should be getting the money soon. Has anyone else heard about this?

I heard from a friend that there is a recent reg that says we get a tabled BAH rate for the 6 months between commissioning and EAD and it's in the range of 2700. He says he went into finance and should be getting the money soon. Has anyone else heard about this?

I'll be honest man, I'd find it hard to believe since I believe the whole premise of pressing folks into the next FY is to save $. Maybe your friend is getting reimbursed for travel per diem for their PCS?

It's always possible though I guess. If it's true, it's gotta be in writing somewhere.

Nah, thats totally legit. Only hitch is you have to go to the finance office located in Nigeria run by a Prince that is oddly unable to use wire transfers on his own and needs your SSN/DOB/Account #.

Nah, thats totally legit. Only hitch is you have to go to the finance office located in Nigeria run by a Prince that is oddly unable to use wire transfers on his own and needs your SSN/DOB/Account #.

And you have to transfer $100 to him from your account to verify which account gets the money.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/jftr%28ch1-10%29.pdf

Go here and go to page 721 and its like halfway down in the bold. My friends voucher or whatever is on hold while they try to figure it out. The way it reads makes up eligible you would think but when I went to finance they said they dont believe it applies because I wasnt on AD. What do you guys think? I wrote Finance at Ellsworth so well see what they say.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/jftr%28ch1-10%29.pdf

Go here and go to page 721 and its like halfway down in the bold. My friends voucher or whatever is on hold while they try to figure it out. The way it reads makes up eligible you would think but when I went to finance they said they dont believe it applies because I wasnt on AD. What do you guys think? I wrote Finance at Ellsworth so well see what they say.

Well that's interesting. It doesn't say anything about being actually active duty or not in that note.

NOTE

: A Service academy and ROTC graduate without a dependent, who remains at the graduation/

commissioning location following graduation and commissioning before proceeding to another duty station and

is not assigned GOV’T QTRS, is authorized a housing allowance at the without-dependent rate for the

graduation/commissioning location through the day prior to departure en route to the training location. If the

officer acquires a dependent, the officer’s housing allowance with-dependent rate becomes based on the

dependent location effective the date the dependent is acquired.

Seems to me that it's defining the period in between commissioning and PCS regardless of active duty status.