Fuel Burn Rates

Guest ELan

Just curious. What is the average burn rate for the aircraft you fly / flew. I realize that there are many factors that affect this...but I'm sure that every plane has an average wag that you use off the top of your head. For slick 130's 5000 lbs an hour for cruise seems to be the rule for E/H models.

For fighter types...cruise / burner...whatever you got. Transports...enroute....same with tankers. Curious on the 135 E/R models and the KC-10. Helos...bombers...T-6...whatever.... If something is grosely different fully loaded / empty....lets hear it.

We are a gas guzzling nation and I am curious to hear where the different airframes rank in the fuel burn category...

[ 07. November 2005, 22:42: Message edited by: Torch ]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mighty KC-135E burns around 12,000/hr average. IIRC, you're looking at about 9-10,000/hr for the R-model.

Oh yeah, and the R has 38% more available thrust (88,000 vs 64,000) and more reliable engines. Damn.

[ 07. November 2005, 22:48: Message edited by: Bergman ]

Guest THE10MAN

KC-10: MTOGW 590K = 20,000 pph; almost empty 250K = ~12,000 pph

T-6: 3-400 pph

Where are your troops, and may I go there and count them?

C-17: Max fuel w/ER (extended range) tanks: 245,000ish lbs ; w/o ER tanks: 180,000ish lbs

Average fuel burn: Most guys use some variation of 20,000 lbs the first hour and 15,000 each additional hour of flight.

The APU burns around 400#/hr

[ 07. November 2005, 22:59: Message edited by: C17Driver ]

The Srike Pig with CFT's: approx 23K. I've flown .7's doing BFM and I've also flown 2.2's skyhooking to a low-level followed by some CAS.

Throw 2 bags on and we have about 31K.

As for cruising, we use about 1K per 60 nm. That's with the drag of our CFT's, BRU's, both LANTIRN pods, etc.

Hoser

[ 07. November 2005, 23:06: Message edited by: Hoser ]

Guest comanche

Ryder unless your fuel weighs 1 lb a gallon, it is a little more. More like 30 lb/hr lol.

[ 08. November 2005, 02:15: Message edited by: comanche ]

Guest SuperStallionIP

CH-53E burns about 4200-4500 PPH initially when cruising. It gets better as we get lighter. We get about 3.5 to 4 hours out of a full tank (16K) depending on what we are doing. Max endurance would come out to about a 5.0 if you stretch into the low fuel lights for a few minutes. I don't like to test that theory too often though.

Max AB low level...around 290000+ per hour. High level cruise heavy weight (300000 lbs or more) about 22000 per hour, light (less than 300000 lbs) about 18000 per hour.

Full fuel load is about 205000lbs, however, for training missions we take off with between 150000 and 175000lbs.

In the end game who cares? When the military starts paying me to fly like an airline pilot and save gas, I will. Until then I'm going to get home ahead of frag.

HD

[ 08. November 2005, 16:06: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

Originally posted by HerkDriver24:

Until then I'm going to get home ahead of frag.

HD

"Crew, we're pushing it up past max endurance...past max range...we're going straight to MORALE SPEED". .9 Mach in the -135!

In the end game who cares? When the military starts paying me to fly like an airline pilot and save gas, I will. Until then I'm going to get home ahead of frag.

HD

Unless your AC says no and slaps your hand, silly CP...

Guest AirGuardian

Concur with C17Driver (maybe you've seen this one!),

Unfortunately or Fortunately we did find out last week that with #1 at idle she burns about 800lbs per hour vs the other three running $4-5K per each... keeping us awake with fuel balancing, etc.

Had to bring #1 back to idle with an oil temp overheat during departure out the of sh*tty box last week. Cool'd her down and drove a mind numbing .70 back at a restricted FL260 for critical patient on board...anything to get back to the land of schnitzel....

LJ let me know when you get through school and then we'll talk. It the meantime quit trying to start yet another fight and work on fixing those issues of yours.

HD

[ 09. November 2005, 07:57: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

LJ let me know when you get through school and then we'll talk. It the meantime quit trying to start yet another fight and work on fixing those issues of yours.

HD

Yeah I better watch out, you might delete my posts and then lock the thread after one last cowardly jab that no one can respond to. And I am done with school.