Marine Exchange

Hey Guys,

Looking to gather some info on an upcoming PCS. There’s a potential to go on a marine exchange. Have any of you bros done one? Looking to see if it’s a good opportunity/QOL. Any general experience is helpful, however this is a F-35 marine exchange to be specific.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, XC- said:

Hey Guys,

Looking to gather some info on an upcoming PCS. There’s a potential to go on a marine exchange. Have any of you bros done one? Looking to see if it’s a good opportunity/QOL. Any general experience is helpful, however this is a F-35 marine exchange to be specific.

Thanks!

I did an exchange with the Marines and really enjoyed the experience.  Contrary to the "leatherneck" and "crayon eater" stereotypes I found them to be extremely intelligent and capable.  They do have some odd rules...not wearing flight suits off base for one...but I made some life long friendships.

5 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

I did an exchange with the Marines and really enjoyed the experience.  Contrary to the "leatherneck" and "crayon eater" stereotypes I found them to be extremely intelligent and capable.  They do have some odd rules...not wearing flight suits off base for one...but I made some life long friendships.

Thanks for the response, sent you a message with some follow up questions!

This thread is a massive disappointment. I thought we were going to compare the USAF BX to the USMC PX where you could still find Hustlers and Harleys on display front n center. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, XC- said:

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Idk what your current qual is but I had a buddy do a -35 marine exchange following a viper tour and he was given lowest priority on upgrades (like he left as a 2E/section lead whatever). Phenomenal pilot, so not a skill issue. I've seen AF commanders treat guard dudes in TFI spots like this just because they, "didn't want to spend the resources on someone that would only be around for one assignment."

I'd consider asking your functional who the last guy was to do an exchange and hit them up on the global. If you don't want to do that you can jump on the CAF Fighter Career Field FB page and ask. I know there's dudes on there that have done what you're looking into.

You will fly a lot less compared to an AF squadron and will be low priority (as stated above). When you do fly, it’ll predominantly be 4 ships at best. Bro who occasionally flies with Beaufort will literally fly single ship with other single ships in the same airspace…because, risk, or something? Your AF bros will be flying way more challenging stuff on a regular basis that the Marines only sniff in an AF exercise or weapons school.  

They’re great dudes who are smart and capable. And I’m sure there are cool memories to be made, but don’t go in with any high expectations regarding flying. Also, one B-model EP sim was enough for me to never want to fly that thing over an A or C.

13 hours ago, Standby said:

thought we were going to compare the USAF BX to the USMC PX where you could still find Hustlers and Harleys

Me too.