Good Riddance, Mark Milley.

gearhog

On 10/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, Pitt4401 said:

In case you needed an example how a senior leader (who tangled with POTUS) should say farewell

Considering the tensions of the time--it just goes to show how much of an ass Milley is. 

Some people have really turned on Mattis, but I really respected his decision to resign when he didn’t agree with Trump’s policy decision.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Probably aided by Trump consistently disparaging POWs, WIA, and KIA as losers.

Yeah, I always took his POW remarks to simply be a case of extremely poor taste in lashing out at John McCain... but aimed only at McCain and not the POW's en masse.  

Until today, I didn't put much credence into the allegations he's said disparaging things towards WIA and KIA. 

However, Gen John Kelly's remarks today on the issue are disturbing.  I can't imagine Kelly is lying, or that he even "misunderstood".  I'm curious how Trump will react to this in the coming days.  

19 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Until today, I didn't put much credence into the allegations he's said disparaging things towards WIA and KIA. 

Why not? The man has literally zero brain to mouth filter. He will call anyone and everyone a loser, disloyal, lying, cheating, crooked, bird brain etc.. when it suits him and for any reason, or even without a reason.  Juvenile name calling is one of his few core competencies. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pooter said:

Why not? 

Because I wasn't previously aware of anyone that was willing to step up and put their name to the allegation.  

Have you ever had someone "anonymously" accuse you of something severe?  

I'm not a Trump apologist, so don't try to frame me as one.  I gather from your reply you are not a fan.  Noted.  

I attempted to frame my post in a non-biased manner.  Please respect that.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Because I wasn't previously aware of anyone that was willing to step up and put their name to the allegation.  

Have you ever had someone "anonymously" accuse you of something severe?  

I'm not a Trump apologist, so don't try to frame me as one.  I gather from your reply you are not a fan.  Noted.  

I attempted to frame my post in a non-biased manner.  Please respect that.  

I think because the accusations fit perfectly with what we know his behavior and demeanor to be. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Some people have really turned on Mattis, but I really respected his decision to resign when he didn’t agree with Trump’s policy decision.

agreed. one of the only flag officers i can remember in the war on terror era resigning from protest. can't fault him for that.

• Upvote 1

This generations Merrill McPeak.

I worked for McPeak for a little while.  He was eccentric and a frustrated fashion designer.  He did some good things, like reducing stovepipes to reduce support empire building .

But McPeak never openly worked against his chain of command.  He wasn’t trying to be a media darling.

1 hour ago, JimNtexas said:

I worked for McPeak for a little while.  He was eccentric and a frustrated fashion designer.  He did some good things, like reducing stovepipes to reduce support empire building .

But McPeak never openly worked against his chain of command.  He wasn’t trying to be a media darling.

Speaking of media darling, he recently interviewed on 60 minutes about a lot of this stuff. Interesting interview.

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Such as?

Discussion of all the media darling stuff, his advice on Afghanistan, etc.

Maybe that was out there already and I hadn’t heard it. I also think there may be a case of trying to rewrite history in the debrief. Also, not sure how or why the senior officer in the US military had to learn some of those lessons without knowing ahead of time.