FAA Mil Comp

Standby

At the time I was a contractor in AFG and it might have had some applicability, but outside of that, probably not for me. LIT FSDO referred me to the Baton Rouge FSDO to get the endorsement, since they do it for all the oil rig choppers in the gulf. But I never did get it, turned out I never needed it. 
edit to add: the applicability would have been involving a contract for “crop dusting” at night in the Colombia/Ecuador region. 

Edited by Chida

7 hours ago, Stoker said:

At least write your congressional representation to let them know. One thing Reps and Senators can be relied on for is to be angry at federal agencies that screw their constituents.

Maybe I can get ChatGPT to do this for me. I don't want to waste my time...

6 hours ago, brabus said:

First time at the FSDO? The DMV is full of high speed individuals and provides amazing customer service…compared to a FSDO.

Copy timeout. Valid. :salut:

On the topic of DPE's, good little side gig if you can get it.  Not necessarily and easy world to get into, but as it seems like shifting duties to the DPE will be a norm, it seems like it could be a worthwhile endeavor for the airline guy with lots of free time.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 6:15 AM, SocialD said:

On the topic of DPE's, good little side gig if you can get it.  Not necessarily and easy world to get into, but as it seems like shifting duties to the DPE will be a norm, it seems like it could be a worthwhile endeavor for the airline guy with lots of free time.  

How does one even start the process to become a DPE?

7 hours ago, Danger41 said:

How does one even start the process to become a DPE?

From what I've seen, like rushing a Guard squadron, you need to start networking and making friends in that world.  They have a system that is supposed to stop nepotism, but...

Aside from the link above, this is the governing document.

An AOPA article that provides a little more insight.

• Thanks 1

it's a big effin club...and we ain't in it!

The serious answer is the sclerotic FAA FSDO side is ruled by certification folks, and ops is generally considered to be woefully understaffed and underrepresented to said management, so they're forced (in their view anyways) to defer to the DPE side just to not let the airman certification sausage to grind to a halt and cause a panic in Congress (airlines mostly).

So DPEs runs amok, FSDO ops is captive audience because their management (generally Certification background folks) want them tethered to the office catching up with all the gargantuan metric ton of paperwork that job is renowned for. Which exacerbates the DPE malfeasance. 

As a career Reservist, I'm intimately familiar with OPM and the ART world, which is to say I'm familiar with inefficient onboarding processes. That said, I don't know what's the prevailing dynamic as to why the FAA is so incapable of just properly staffing their FSDO Ops (ASI) numbers. Perhaps it's said FSDO management sabotaging the office. Similar dynamics have been claimed by CBP Air Marine folks when it comes to their frictions with their internal hire Border Patrol background management/supervisors.