Personal credit card on the road?

pilotguy

I actually really enjoy telling my civilian friends about the GTC because the idea of it is so insane to them. 

"wait so you mean like a company card.. right?"

"wrong.. imagine if your company opened a credit card in your name, but if you use it for the wrong thing you get in massive trouble, and if your expense reports get delayed at all it dings your credit"

*insert civilian friend what the fuck face here*

Edited by Pooter
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pooter said:

Yet another horseshit aspect of the GTC, a tale as old as time:

-get home from a deployment

-fill out voucher at finance day after with over the shoulder guidance from finance

-finance kicks back the voucher they helped me create

-9 grand in airline/rental car fees just sitting there overdue

-now I'm on the naughty list

-pay the 9 grand out of my personal account to get off the naughty list

-voucher approved 2 days later

-get on Citi website to get refunded 

-I have to wait 10 effing business days for a refund because of transaction timing limits

Never ever pay off the GTC out of pocket. The naughty list should be a red flag on someone’s slide for finance … not for you. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I’ve been on “the list” for > $15k twice. Just laughed at them every time they said pay it off and the gov will get you back, it’s going to hurt your credit, blah blah. Carried $19k 6 months past due. No credit hit, just empty threats from FM douche bags. Don’t ever pay that shit off with your own money. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, brabus said:

I’ve been on “the list” for > $15k twice. Just laughed at them every time they said pay it off and the gov will get you back, it’s going to hurt your credit, blah blah. Carried $19k 6 months past due. No credit hit, just empty threats from FM douche bags. Don’t ever pay that shit off with your own money. 

Ditto.  210 days days for it to affect your credit and if it gets that long everyone in the AF has failed.  We would just put folks on mission critical status if there voucher wasn't for the individuals failure to file.  If it was on an outside agency, mission critical you went and it would be briefed at the group meetings on specifically why the outside agencies weren't doing there job.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Never ever pay off the GTC out of pocket. The naughty list should be a red flag on someone’s slide for finance … not for you. 

Yeah luckily I'm older and wiser now and don't fall for that anymore.

But it's pretty messed up thinking back to when I was a young LT I never heard that sentiment from any leadership. You just get a nastygram one day saying you're delinquent and on the naughty list and it's gonna hit your credit so you panic and pay it.  Doesn't help that you haven't TDY'd enough times yet to attain DTS wizard status, so the likelihood of a voucher kicked back is much higher

16 hours ago, Pooter said:

I actually really enjoy telling my civilian friends about the GTC because the idea of it is so insane to them. 

"wait so you mean like a company card.. right?"

"wrong.. imagine if your company opened a credit card in your name, but if you use it for the wrong thing you get in massive trouble, and if your expense reports get delayed at all it dings your credit"

*insert civilian friend what the fuck face here*

My company mandated employees that go TDY get the company AMEX on our name. There’s trouble also if one was to misuse it (fired, possibly sued). 

Maybe I’ve been shielded by being in the fighter squadron, but every TDY I’ve been on I’ve been in mission critical status before and after. The last deployment I took my squadron on, I made sure we wouldn’t have to deal with any GTC shenanigans and put all the FS folks mission critical. Is that not usual?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NUKE said:

Maybe I’ve been shielded by being in the fighter squadron, but every TDY I’ve been on I’ve been in mission critical status before and after. The last deployment I took my squadron on, I made sure we wouldn’t have to deal with any GTC shenanigans and put all the FS folks mission critical. Is that not usual?

If you're RA and leadership have half a clue thats the way to go.  

10 hours ago, uhhello said:

If you're RA and leadership have half a clue thats the way to go.  

I just ask my RA to do it and the Group Commander isn’t in my business as I run my squadron effectively in the manner in which I see fit. Pretty easy to negate the GTC issues. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, NUKE said:

For a heavy unit tdys are constant and non-stop. You can easily go weeks or months between crossing paths with another dude in the unit. Theoretically our sq could keep everyone on mission critical 24/7 but the reality is we go tell RA if we need it and then it's done.

Edited by LiquidSky
  • Like 2

I used my personal card to put gas in my Huey to get home.   We had to RON at a fire jumper base.  They told me they had gas.  I found out after I landed that they took credit cards but not the gas card or the gtc.  I put a few hundred bucks in and left.  I didn’t want to do the dick dance of calling home and making a big deal of things.  We just flew a pretty sketchy mission the night before.  When we landed, my CC laughed, and asked me "if I knew how to get reimbursed for that?" and I let him know that I didn’t care.  I probably did a few touch in goes in the AOR to get tax breaks and I feel less guilty about that now.  

Edited by Biff_T

TDY from Tyndall up to Cold Lake.  Landed and were putting the jets to bed.  Local gas trucks show up and we fill everything up.  Go inside to finish forms and somebody mentioned something about their gas card didn't work so they borrowed the next jets.  New crew chief hears this and asks what a gas card is.  Long story short, truck driver asked for a card and new guy gave him his GTC 🙂 Wonder what 2300 gallons of JP-5 cost back then.  

• Haha 4

I put everything on the GTC when I am TDY, except the strip clubs. After the DEAMS debacle years ago, when some of us fools didn't get paid for deployments for MONTHS, I started using my GTC for everything. Why? The Air Force is not going to send me on a deployment away from my family, expect me to pay out of pocket, and then, due to a deficiency in a system (they most likely procured from the lowest bidder), not pay me for months. I remember when leadership in my unit at the time told us we had to pay off our GTC on our own without payment. I LOL'd at that one and said, "Yeah, you may as well just type that LOC up now.".

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

That’s exactly what every younger/lower income dude should do. Don’t put a cent on your own card and there’s zero risk to yourself. And remember, you can always use your GTC at an ATM if you need cash (but recommend choosing wisely on which ATM you use). Now once you’re higher income and can take the “temp hit” because you want your own points/rewards - follow your heart. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brabus said:

And remember, you can always use your GTC at an ATM if you need cash (but recommend choosing wisely on which ATM you use).

Use the ATM outside of the juicy bar, not the one inside.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Biff_T said:

Use the ATM outside of the juicy bar, not the one inside.  

And if you’re too drunk and fuck that one up, pay that shit off immediately and don’t tell anyone. You’ll probably be fine…totally only heard that from a friend, no chance I personally had that experience…

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...